1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG - Why not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jxl92182, Nov 18, 2015.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

JVG doesn't want to coach anymore. He wants to broadcast and not get fined when he makes comments about the NBA.

2. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

The funny thing is I couldn't stand his coaching style while he was here. He would sacrifice the offense for the defense which really made it a hard game to watch. But this team needs a dominate coach that changes his system for no one. He'd adjust to the high scoring % available but defense would be #1 with him.

But you know that problem with all this..... He'd wouldn't be able to sleep at night watching JH play defense and would ultimately give JH the "The Franchise Treatment".

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

For me, I thought it was time for a change when JVG was let go but when he was gone I missed the stuff he did for the team. JVG was a terrific coach, yes he was defensive minded but unlike other "disciplinarian" coaches he knew how to manage his players, for example with Tmac he used a lot of positive reinforcement but with Yao Ming he was more vocally critical. His staff's preparation was always top-notch, Tmac and Yao always keep saying they were always extremely prepared by coaching staff.

And he sticks by his guys, even after leaving HTown he has been repping Houston and the Rox, which is more than I can say about guys like Barkley and Barry.

4. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I like JVG the guy and overall he was a good coach for the rockets. I just think that you don't hire a coach in 2016 who has not had any playoff success since the 1999-2000 season and has not coached since 2007.

He's been out of the grind too long.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This guy is literally another version of McHale but this time he don't have Durant and Westbrook.

6. Mr Chuck Norris

You guys don't think JVG watching all these games as commentator and some CBB games that we would keep the same old style? He sees every night first hand. I don't think JVG would be exactly like his previous stint

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The likelihood of JVG coaching Howard is the same as his brother coaching Howard.

8. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

So that means you want a completely different coach than JVG.

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Bringing JVG would be great for one reason only......he got super pissed...some might say irrationally pissed....when players didn't give effort on d. If it wasn't for him making Francis actually improve that one year the team wouldn't have been able to flip him for Tmac.

And those teams that he failed to get out of the first round had NOBODY besides T-mac and Yao.

And as for his lack of offense.....we don't have one now besides harden pick and roll.

10. body slam

body slam Member

One of the local radio shows talked about bringing back JVG not long ago. They said he would want 100% full control of the team.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's interviewed for several jobs over the past few years, including college jobs.

13. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Just to add to speculation in these threads, maybe Morey realizes this and is part of the reason he's pushing to move him now as opposed to having to choose between Dwight & JVG.

14. omgTHEpotential

Really?

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Many? Not sure about that, since he won't grant an interview until there is a vacancy. Plus, he's not a college coach. I don't see him liking the recruiting aspect of it.

But...he did interview for the Pelican's job.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Pretty bold statement based on adding pixels and thinking you see a picture.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's about as dumb as saying the Texans wouldn't draft Derek Carr because of who is brother was.

I bet even SVG would be willing to mend fences with Howard, if he felt it made his team more likely to contend.

18. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Throw away the name for a second.

You really want to hire a coach who has no playoff wins since 1999-2000
    Has not coached since 2007
    Could potentially clash with the gm
    Everything you loved about his coaching previously would have to change because the game has changed

I don't understand the fascination with him. I think it could be the year 2030 and people here will still be clamouring for him.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because he has a history of viable playoff coaching experience (unlike our current or most recent former head coach)... he's still intimately involved in the game as a commentator (hence he's well aware of the 'changes' in the game... some of which were occurring when he was still coaching)... he is a coach with experience that may actually consider coming here... and most importantly:

Because the current team is floundering with zero leadership, zero direction, zero offensive execution, zero defensive execution, zero chemistry, zero accountability and we're wasting prime years of players that are not that easy to acquire. And you're worried about a coaches relationship with a GM? How about the fact that your best player just got the coach, who was good friends with the GM, fired... and no viable coach would want to touch this team without assurances that they can reign in the power yielded by players who haven't earned it yet. JVG is in a unique position because he actually lives here, and has a past relationship with this team... not hearing a lot of other experienced names clamoring to take this job right now.

Forget 2030... this team will be dismantled with likely lottery implications if they don't turn it around as soon as next year.

#79 Nick, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're extremely caught up in the notion of how long you seem to believe he is apparently blinded by whats going on since his coaching days. Like he hasn't been around the game since. All these points you're trying to bring up but what are your choices that you may think are better?