1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

DM on 790 a few mins back. Here is a recap as I heard it. I may have missed something here and there.

790: Lance - I readily admit that SMith gives you a better chance than not having JS. We spoke last week of Josh having a chance here with more money on the table. I get frustrated with turnovers and bad shot selection. Am I bad person for that?

DM: It does not make you a bad person. Turnovers are bad. Only thing with our team and aggressive style of play on both ends., if you're focused on TO's you're focused on the wrong things. We drive it into the paint a lot more and push it off transition which will result in more TO's

790: What are things we should focus on besides turnovers then?

DM: On the D side for us, we need to generate TO's so we are pressurizing the ball, take them deep into the shot clock. On the offensive side we need to drive it in there and kick and move the ball.

790: Becoming disruptively defensively is a big factor.

DM: That has been a step down for us this year. Last year we were disruptive, forcing them deep in the clock, pressurizing them to take forced shots.

790: About TJ accident?

DM: I was right by the arena. Unfortunately a pretty standard car accident at an intersection. Was serious enough he had to go to the hospital for observation He should be fine

790: You guys have been playing with injuries and suspensions. With Clint and TJ gone. We thought you ahd plenty to begin with at the start of the season.

DM: Again to your point, every night different reasons for guys being out for ailments, or injuries or car accidents

790: JH has been playing elevated basketball. one of the things seems the he is not forcing the issue as much. He has been an outstanding faciliatator. Is that the key looking to get him to facilitate more and let the game come to him?

DM: And getting off the ball and allowing it to come to him. James is a competitor and wants to win. We had a difficult dynamic early on where we would struggle to get going and James would then take it upon himself and that resulted in him holding the ball. Getting him to get off the ball and then come back, be a faciliatator early or late, that is important

790: Dwight with the back to back suspensions. What can you do as GM to go in and state your case as opposed to being seen as just a groaning GM

DM: Couple of things. One is using a systematic approach in terms of showing and I cant get too specific but showing specifically how your players on a basis in certain types of actions are being called or not called relative to others in the league. Video and data evidence would help obviously

790: It is not just you guys and it applies to other teams in the league too.

DM: Comm Silver is really forward thinking. Does a good job of listening and how to improve things league wide on several things besides refereeing. They obviously do a lot more than shrugging the shoulders

790: D League shuffling off players back and forth

DM: For young players like Harrell, Dekker who is hopefully back here shortly, like KJ - if they are not getting playing time with the main club we like them to get time with the D League. Gets them to put all the ahrd wor they have learned into action.

In terms of DMo, it is just a rehab program and we might see more of that around the league. DMo is in Phoenix tonight and I think he will play a bit. There is no minutes limit but when he played his 1st D League game he played about 20 min and it was more about him getting in game shape.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

:eek::eek::eek:

DM the GM had enough of ISO Harden.

Without hearing the interview, it's hard to get an idea of his tone here.

Can't imagine he'd call out his superstar like that on sports talk radio. That said, I'm glad DM mentioned it. I'm even more thrilled that Harden is facilitating a lot more instead of just running down the damn shot clock.

I see this team coming together post-ASB and doing big things.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for the recap. DMo tonight for Suns, cool. JH play more without the ball, cool. Josh helps here and hopefully Lawson can progress.

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it isn't calling out Harden, it is more telling the other players to make plays when they get the ball. When they can't make a play, they always give it back to Harden to bail the team out

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, DMo will play a bit v Suns, then return to Vipers as they mentioned before? I'm slightly confused.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Was thinking the same thing. Maybe TJ forced their hand? Maybe D-Mo felt better than expected after the D League game and practice?

I hope they're not risking it just because we're thin up front against a really terrible team, perhaps the worst in the league at the moment.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Super glad to hear Morey talk about getting James off the ball more often. It's good news for Lawson and Howard as well, both of whom can help us a bit if they saw the ball a bit more.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i thoguth dmo was due another game in the dleague?
    good that he called out harden on his iso ball addiction

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He didn't say they would send him back down again did he?

If he did, it may be that despite no minutes restrictions, D Mo isn't going to get big minutes because he's not yet in game shape.

I'm glad DM is going the baseball route of using the D-league as a way to safely get players back in shape instead of throwing them to the wolves.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No he didn't imply that.

As far as I could deduce, he implied that in the future they will be sending guys for rehab to the D League and to get some game shape.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You did transcribe that DM said he might "play a bit." The rest of my comment regards the plans for DMo that have been mentioned prior by the team...that he'll return to Vipers this week when they resume games.

Like this:

"So, DMo will play a bit v Suns [DM's comment to 790], then return to Vipers end of this week as they mentioned before [Previous plans mentioned by Feigen more than once]? I'm slightly confused."​

12. malakas

malakas Member

Good choice morrey for the first game back again.
    Playing the suns is almost like playing the d-league.

13. anchel

anchel Member

Lolllll???? Rockets lead the league in steals per game, also leading the league at terrible permitere defense. Answer is not more pressure but more 1on1 responsability (that's probably less pressure, smarter defense). Very shocking to hear that from him at this point.

14. anchel

anchel Member

perimeter :eek:

15. malakas

malakas Member

Our so called defence is a gimmick and a gamble.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

why would less pressure be smarter if you're trying to take a team deeper into a shot clock. that doesn't make sense.

17. malakas

malakas Member

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Apply implies we have some sort of offensive system for the team, which we really don't. We have Pick and Roll when we choose to use it and Harden ISO ball. One is an offensive play set and the other is just individual talent. I would argue that we had more off the ball movement and flare screens the previous 2-3 seasons than we have this season. We definitely seem a lot more grounded this year.

19. anchel

anchel Member

¿? Seriously, VERY shocking. Our kind of D induces earlier shots, and that's why normally is the kind of D you use to rise the tempo... More risks, more steals, also more mistakes, more earlier shot oportunities. What's happening with our D is that is too aggressive to be good, yes, we get steals (again, we lead the league at that) but we concede much more high% shooting oportunities, and our overall perimeter defense is really bad. Everybody is TOO focused on creating the turnover and that causes 1 turnover created, 3 easy posessions for a good offense.

To hear that from Morey right now helps me understanding more things.... Just wow.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what makes more sense? more pressure on the ball so the defense works harder to get a shot, therefore taking them deeper into the shot clock which is what morey is saying or less pressure like you are suggesting where shots will be much easier to come by.

Now if you are going to say smarter pressure then yes I would agree, where they do need to gamble less on the defensive end and just play possessions more intelligently. But as far as putting less pressure is not the answer.