1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Daily News: Celtics have engaged Rockets on possible Dwight Howard trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Deal would be extremely difficult to close due to the 2 GMs involved. And TBH Howard is much more valuable to us than to Boston. I think any deal would be extremely underwhelming.

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Did y'all know that Dwight Howard and Josh Smith played on the Atlanta Celtics AAU team together growing up? The Celtics.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You kind of have to take into consideration Ainge's past mega moves as well if you think Dwight might be a possibility.

Just my opinion but I would think that if Ainge was looking at Dwight, he's likely looking at acquiring multiple players ALA KG & Ray Allen in 07.

I don't think Dwight is good enough at this stage to carry a franchise just like KG probably wasn't back in 07, but I'm sure he's thinking that if he can get two guys at one time they could have something. They've got the assets to do it, and still keep alot of their core group.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Or its to pressure atlanta to lower their price.
    Anyway when lee is bought out I wouldnt oppose to signing him.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Rudy and Dwight?

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Yuck.

I heard "Go Green" a few days ago, and put it in my sig, but I did not hear Dwight involved.

I'm hoping this isn't true, and it don't think it is.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Danny offers up something useful, I say do it. This team isnt making any noise this year with or without Howard. Next year may not include him anyway if he opts out.

As far as where do we go from here, I hate to say it, but we do it without Howard. He is a declining player that will eat up significant salary if we find a way to keep him around. I would rather go forward through the draft (if we get picks from Boston) or use the salary vacuum to find some guy(s) that have some good years still left in front of them.

Yes, Howard makes us better now. He would probably make us better over the next year or two as well. But I fear we will pay dearly if we get into another long term deal with him given the years 3+ of the contract he will likely be too diminished in skills or by injury to justify his salary.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

so pretty much waste JH next few years as well before he hits the 30 mark

9. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

According to some a fair trade would be David Lee, Sullinger, Rozier/Hunter and Mavs draft pick for Howard lol I think that's pretty crappy. Very crappy actually. Then again nobody is gonna give up a lot of assets for a rental. Rockets shouldn't even entertain the Celtics if this is the best they can do.

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Only way we should do it is if we get that Nets pick

11. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Does he know who he's dealing with? Morey isn't giving up Dwight for nothing. Expect multiple picks if a deal goes down.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Actually the opposite. Keeping Howard, IMO, would be more of a waste to JH's prime years given he is no longer the player capable of catapulting us to championship contention. For clarity, I said he could help us (maybe 2 more years). I didnt say he was the piece we need.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. you're not going to find a player of DH's caliber at his position if you're just going to get rid of him. and at this point it's actually JH who needs to catapult himself into the #1 player on the championship team. Not DH.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not getting the Nets pick.

If the high end is the Nets pick...
    You're not getting

And the low end is David Lee
    Reports say he'll get bought out

Meet somewhere in the middle.

Ask about these five:
    Avery Bradley
    Jae Crowder
    Kelly Olynyk
    Marcus Smart
    Jared Sullinger

Anyone else Hunter, Jerebko, Johnson, Thomas, Turner, Young, Zeller and thanks but no thanks, I'll probably hang onto him.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If DH leaves, the player(s) that comes in his stead dont necessarily have to play his position.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

without a player of his caliber in the middle, the chances of the rockets winning a title are no better than with him here. Hence if he leaves, wasting the next few years before 30 for JH

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The only thing I want from that team is the Nets' pick, which they would never give up. Jared Sullinger would be a fantastic player if he wasn't such a lazy ******, but I doubt he'd ever change his ways at this point.

#57 MrButtocks, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Dwight can't handle Boston, they'd slaughter him.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lots of teams make it big without their 1st or 2nd best player being a center. Most in fact these days.

20. hakeemthagreat

We are about to do something very stupid smh