1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

He'll have to get his free-throw shooting straight first.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hoopshype just recycles other articles. They don't report or write their own stuff.

Here's the actual source coming from Frank Isola.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/isola-point-knicks-backcourt-article-1.2518414

I actually like Frank as he's pretty funny, and knowledgeable about the game from a reporter perspective, but I can't recall the last time the guy broke news of any relevance other than minor Knicks stuff.

That being said, Dwight to the Celtics does sort of make sense, but its Ainge... he's not giving up much to get him. He's certainly not giving up Crowder, Smart, Brooklyn picks, etc. Ainge is looking to "STEAL" Dwight if he is talking to Morey about getting him.

In that case, Morey is probably likely to just hold onto him until the Summer, and will opt to try and get him back in FA on a discounted contract.

3. DuDDleyDawsonII

Thanks for the clarification Bro,I was just surfing for info.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

I'll take Thomas :D not going to happen though, salary wise and Ainge won't part with any of the players we would want.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The article even says Boston shouldn't offer much in assets. I'm guessing if there are any legs to this story it was just a phone call or two by Ainge to his buddy Morey doing his due diligence.

Meanwhile, the Celtics have engaged the Houston Rockets in talks about a possible deal for Dwight Howard, the Daily News has learned. Howard can opt out of his contract this summer, and considering his back and knee issues, it doesn’t make much sense for Boston GM Danny Ainge to use the assets on a player with declining skills and a battered body.

6. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Anything less than Isiah and Brooklyns first round pick is worthless for us.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

On the surface it reads like the classic... "Look at me... I'm have inside knowledge about a trade... but it probably won't happen so don't judge me negatively if it DOESN'T happen" report.

Isola usually doesn't get caught up in the fake insider game, but that's how it reads. That being said Isola does do a show daily with Jackie MacMullen who actually does have ties to the Celtics... so there might be something there, but the report itself is the classic "I got insider info, but don't expect this deal to happen" noise we hear all the time from the guys who just want attention.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Talk does not mean anything.

To make a DHo deal realistically Dwight would have to indicate willingness to reup.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a little surprised that Clutch is still putting up with this guy. The kid is a troll who's spamming this thread for his own masterbatory pleasure. In my humble opinion, and with all respect due.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He got banned (temporarily at least).

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This would be funny, though zero chance of happening. Morey would try to screw over Ainge, and Ainge would try to screw over Morey, and neither would bite.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did he? Good. I jumped to the end of the thread after I made the post about the chump, so I must have missed it. Thanks for the heads-up. :)-

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Sweet, hire Murph to work on his free throws like Malone did.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Wait that's what Malone actually did right? I head he payed someone to work on his free throws

15. dje243

dje243 Member

I don't think Dwight is a max player but that doesn't mean he isn't extremely valuable. If they wanted to trade him they could get good return. He's still dominant on D and honestly his post game seems more consistent (probably due to just limiting it to one or two moves) than it has for several years now. How many centers that are supposedly way better than Howard actually OUTPLAY Howard when they go head to head. Not many. If they trade him it won't be for crap assets.

16. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Ideally no they would not, but they have less than 2 weeks to get rid of him with the guarantee of getting something in return. Houston, really does not want to lose him for nothing!

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

unless DH has specifically made it clear that he is not returning you don't just get rid of him by assuming so.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I hope someone offers the max so that they can take the gun from Moery's head. Offering him $60 mln over 4 years. He's not going to get better ladies and gentlemen as he ages, he's only going to get worse. Then we have to amnesty him.

19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you hoping someone else offer him $60M over 4 years, or are you saying that's what Morey should offer? Because it's the former, that's nowhere near close to the max (in fact, it's not a bad price at $15M per year).

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm hoping someone else offers him the max and we offer him the $60 mln for 4 years. $20 mln a year for a declining player, with injuries, and is easily frustrated by things that have been happening his entire career.