1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Milkhair Ruin James Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CometsWin, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ibm

ibm Member

mchale didnt ruin harden.

if anything, he made harden to what he is today in a big way.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear McHale introduced James to strip clubs, so yeah, he ruined James Harden.

3. alethios

alethios Member

Right - he didn't have any reins on James with maybe the exception of the 4th quarter of Game 6 against the Clippers in the semis last year.

Truth is Harden is who he is, because he was allowed to progress in this way.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, and it is going to be painful to teach him how to properly win in the playoffs, because it is going to require him to do less for the team to do more.

DD

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Did Kevin McHale tell James Harden to not play defense?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Exactly. McHale's coaching, or more accurately lack thereof, contributed to letting the inmate run the asylum. Now you'll need an incredibly accomplished and well respected coach to rein in James Harden and put him on track to becoming a star capable of actually leading a team to a championship. Right now he's just a guy that racks up offensive stats and does his thing.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I dont think he ever told him to start either.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As I said, it really shouldn't be this hard to understand.

Our system is based on taking shots at the rim, threes and free throws. Why those 3 things? At the rim is worth 2 pts/shot but you hit them at a rate over 50%. Threes are a lower percentage but the shots count 3 points each. Free throws are super high percentage so they are great too.

The idea of shooting 3s is based on the fact that even a slightly below average 3 point shooter is still more efficient than any team is from midrange. That's the math portion.

Our team fits that strategy because we shoot threes well enough to be more efficient than anyone is from midrange. So our strategy fits our personel.

Why us that so hard to understand? We implemented a system that fir with our teams abilities and the system allows those players to maximize their efficience.

There's absolutely nothing contradictory there. I believe that your having a problem because you still have the idea in your head that our system requires elite 3 point shooters but it doesnt.

Sure, if we shot 3s at 40% we'd be even more efficient but that's not necessarI'll realistic. Bottom line is that our 3 point shooting is more efficient than anyones midrange. So if you don't take those 3s then you better be able to produce 30 additional shots at the rim or a ton more freethrows. Neither of those are realistic. If you replace those shots with midrange them you will be less efficient and score fewer points per attempt.

The stats on touches and possession time are relevant to teams primary ball handlers. For most teams that is the PG but for us it's Harden. You can tell yourself that Harden doesn't bring the ball up as most PGs but I provided the stats that show that he has more backcourt touches than most PGs do. If you don't like those stats then feel free to provide some stats to backup your points...just don't base you points on your perception with no facts to back them up.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, losing three out of five games with successful moreyball stats would be a failure in the standings.

The defense has obviously been a failure however so has the offense because taking an average across the season doesn't indicate how moreyball fails in critical moments of critical games. Moreyball is taking the average and calling it success but games don't work that way.

The team has led the league in three pointers attempted three years in a row. The Rockets have been first or second in free throws attempted for three years in a row. That's the basic math behind what Morey thinks will win a championship. Unless you think it's just an accident that these things are happening and Morey has had nothing to do with how the team is constructed and how it plays on the court.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes he effectively did, just not verbally.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This... Harden was sick that's game so I don't even count that.

12. DaDakota

When he asked Harden to play defense - he was fired...

DD

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yes that's why McHale was fired because he was great at everything else, lol.

14. DaDakota

Straw that broke the camel's back, you know I was NEVER in favor of him as a head coach anyway.

Morey hired his favorite childhood team's player - never understood why anyone would think McHale is a quality coach - he isn't.

DD

#154 DaDakota, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So we got 4 years of McHale because he was Moreys childhood hero. I don't know why but that just made me angry, lol.

16. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

No disrespect, but you made a statement that I think was false. I provided real statements from the coach himself, to give you an idea of what the coach/staff were trying to implement.

Here are the links:

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-rockets/post/_/id/946/james-harden-looking-for-ballhandling-help

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-bold-james-hardenty-lawson-experiment-work

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...evin-McHale-just-wants-to-go-with-6622957.php

There was a plan in place, that both Harden and Mchale had talked about in the off-season. All Harden had to do was buy-in, he didn't, and we all know how the rest went down.

Can you please provide a link to your statement?

17. DaDakota

I doubt it was actually that, but it sure feels that way....I mean we go from quality coaching with JVG and Adelman to incompetent coaching with McHale and Bickerstaff - I thought we were trying to win!

DD

18. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

The referees ruined James Harden. He's not getting the calls he was getting last year so defenders are more aggressive with him especially on the isolation plays.

James Harden's teammates ruined James Harden by missing wide open three pointers when he sets them up.

Cheating on defense ruined James Harden. Looking at the ball instead of his player assignment. Is this being taught or just tolerated by the coaches?

Adidas ruined James Harden. The swoosh made him faster.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Lmao this post is quite the logical fail. That's why I asked for the date. Harden playing off the ball was a new thing he wanted to do this season however Kevin McHale has coached James Harden for three full seasons prior to this so I think you proved my point. McHale and co played harden heavy minutes and relied on the drive and kick or iso. It was James that asked for ballhandling help.