1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea i read up on the recall they're having with the bootloop issue. I hope the one I'm getting won't have that same issue. I definitely wanted the V10 but yea....if I were to look in that price range I might as well look at an iphone or get a 6P

The thing that scared me about the 6 is that it's "end of life" support from Google is coming soon. Sure that happens to all phones but I'd like a bigger window of time.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I truly believe the hardware on the nexus 6 is very capable of handling anything Google throws at it for the upcoming years. Nexus 5 got Android 6.0 and its 2 years old. I'm willing to bet it gets Android N as well since it's not too much different than the nexus 5x. Nexus 6 has an extra gb of ram and arguably a better processor than the 5x and should get support as long as that phone. That's just my guess.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

you mentioned the nexus 6 was one of the phones you were looking at. i have a nexus 6 that's been sitting unused since early november.

will give it to you if you put $100 bucks in the cf.net tipjar. you won't find a better deal. lemme know.

edit: this is for stedd only, atm.

#863 OmegaSupreme, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    3 people like this.
  4. steddinotayto

Yea the eBay deal on the Nexus 5x had me do a quick look at it but 2GB of RAM was a deal breaker.

5. steddinotayto

THat IS a steal of a deal. I'll let you know by next Tuesday if that's okay.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Be warned when making deals with omega. Once you do your outlook on life will change forever.... and your faith in humanity will be restored 100x over. You'll go to bed happy and wake up with renewed life knowing that omega the smartphone angel really exists.

:)

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

ok.

:grin:

1 person likes this.
  8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn Omega, you got any other cool **** just laying around? :grin:

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

No kidding. You got a ps4 laying around that a good cf tipjar donation will get me?

10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Blu just came out with a new budget phone and it looks good. It's MSRP $150, but discounted to $100 at Bestbuy.com until this Sunday (or until supply last). Link to Bestbuy.com listing

5.5" 720P super amoled screen
    2GB RAM
    16gb storage with Microsd slot
    3150mAH battery
    USB type C with fast charging
    Octa-core mediatek MT6753 processor
    removable battery

I think this is a fantastic deal if you can deal with the slightly larger body size of a 5.5" screen phone. The combination of amoled screen with the 720P resolution should give it great battery life.

I just ordered it to possibly replace the Blu Life One X that I have. The fast charging would solve the biggest issue I have with the Blu Life One X. I actually ordered 2 just in case I receive a lemon.

Here's the slickdeals thread on it. You can find links to reviews in it.

#870 jchu14, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lemme know when the deal opens up to the market :grin:

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Nice. I'd love to upgrade my phone. Still rocking an HTC One M7 with a busted camera. Take the deal!

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Think I might jump on this. I'm guessing it works 4G LTE on AT&T?

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yup has all of the AT&T bands except Band 5. It also has all of the TMobile bands.

As a rule of thumb for LTE:

AT&T - 2/4/5/(12 or 17). AT&T is also starting to rollout band 30 but its so rare at this point that its not worth mentioning
    TMobile - 2/4/12
    Verizon - 2/4/13
    Sprint - 25/26/41
    US Cellular - 5/12

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks, sound good. Hopefully it doesn't have any bloatware that can't be completely removed.

16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I hope you ordered the Blu phone already! BestBuy.com is showing the phone as not available any more! That presale ended much more quickly than I expected.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I did. I bought the gold one this morning when the midnight blue was out of stock. Now the gold is out of stock and the midnight blue is back in stock. It's still $99.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ud1qgQMxLw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

BLU generally isn't crazy about bloatware. You should be able to remove most if not all of the non Google bundled apps.

However, their Android skin follows the Chinese design model. So no app drawer and they actually moved the quick toggles to a bottom up swipe menu. (Note the attempts to mimic certain design elements of iOS)

But it should be fine for most use cases. For $100, I dont think you'll get a better package right now.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dang i hope they put the wireless charging for this year's iphone and not next.