1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

And you do on those 2010-2012 teams? Or you just running with whatever lars says? Brewer, Thornton, Lawson, Harden, D-Mo, Harrell, even Beverley, Jones & Ariza are all very capable at moving and passing. There's just not a system and willingness from Harden.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

No its simple basketball observation. Those capabilities just aren't common with this group

guys like lowry/dragic are passers who move without the ball. lee moves without the ball very well. scola is constantly moving and setting screens. even martin moves without the ball to get his buckets bc obviously he's not a great one on one player to get his points. High bball iq guys like battier set screens and move and understand floor balance. What's the constant? All these guys can move and play without the ball. You just don't see much of that here with play based mostly on iso.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You mean the same coach who didn't do **** in Minny and ended up retiring? Thanks, but no thanks.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not sure so how much more a coach can really do to actually initiate some kind of change for harden at this point. for someone who has played a certain way for this long, can we really expect a different Harden who at the end of the day, will actually decide for himself what he needs to do differently. The longer the season goes on, the more it makes me believe harden is comfortable with who he is with everything he's been able to achieve so far. The hunger to be great just doesn't seem to be there.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Fair enough, but I just don't see the difference all that much besides a clear system. You truly believe our players cannot do those things?? You even agree, based on your last sentence. Key difference is instructions and the lack of a star player. The team needed to do those things, so they did. Now they are somehow not instructed to do it. Put Lowry, Dragic, Scola, Battier, Lee, Patterson or any other player on this team next to Harden and see what happens..

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He needed help finding more strip clubs but the front court players just wouldn't help. So he asked Morey for back court help.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The only guys who are dangerous with the basketball with space are Thornton and Terry, which is what you need to be successful with this approach.

Teamball is about quickness and deception, none of the other guys are quick enough or smart enough to know where to be to progress the play and create openings consistently, that a pure motion system would require.

If you think Harrell / Dmo can facilitate that like Diaw, Green, and Horford, I have a bridge to sell you.

8. Drogba

Drogba Member

Well said. There's next to no versatility on this roster. Even Morey himself has admitted as much. You know things are bad when some of our fans want more Dwight post ups. This is easily the least talented roster we've had in years.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't know. the ball movement wasn't bad when guys like Lin, Parsons, Asik were here. When's the last time you saw this kind of passing consistently from the Rockets

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vfk6-UY6h0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. basketballholic

http://www.nbaminer.com/player-turnover-details/

James Harden
    Leads league in turnovers per game
    Second in league in bad pass turnovers per game
    Third in league in lost ball turnovers per game
    Third (basically first) in league in offensive fouls committed per game.

http://www.nbaminer.com/foul-details/

Rockets Team
    Third in league in turnovers per game
    Leads league in bad pass turnovers per game
    Second in league in offensive fouls committed per game
    Third in league in offensive 3 second calls

Turnovers hurt this team on offense and defense. They deny us an opportunity to score and they put us in transition defense where we are further disadvantaged. James Harden personally gets the ball stolen from him 3.3 times per game, either by pickpocket or by stolen passes. This doesn't even take into account the rest of his out-of-bounds and offensive foul turnovers. He only steals the ball 1.5 times a game and draws an offensive foul from the opponent about once every 4 games.

Harden is simply not good enough as a ball handler/distributor to be the #1 playmaker for a championship team. The sooner the Rockets figure that out and make him the secondary playmaker instead of the primary playmaker the quicker we can get to actually becoming a champion.

11. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

Who would you suggest as a primary ball handler that would be obtainable? Or are you referring to Lawson? I'm not trying to sound facetious, I'm genuinely curious about your opinion.

EDIT: Just read through your other comments. I'm guessing your answer is going to be Rubio... my bad for not reading before typing!

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Come on man, you know the - answer - RUBIO ;)

It's not a terrible idea, frankly, but Harden would have to still play off the ball because Rubio is worthless off the ball.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

He wants Rubio.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the main pieces back are either Mayo or Vasquez Morey needs to hire a GM and maybe re-assign himself to a new title. Cause it'd mean he needs all the help can find as he's run out of ideas and options.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

/\ wrong thread

16. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

Whoops! Yeah I just read through his other comments. I don't think it's a terrible idea either but It wouldn't make us a contender in my opinion. I have a feeling the team is about to get blown up... again...

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL RUBIO

Good lord, that would make this team so much worse.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See on that team all you had to do was replace Lin and you had something special...instead we go out and WHIRLING derby style lose most of that chemistry.

I have been saying that for 2+ years that his turnover ratio has proven he is NOT a good enough player to be trusted to initiate the offense got to at least be a 2-1 Ast to Turnover ratio.

DD

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

Lord, get this man some help!

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Did I compare them to Diaw and the like? No. You really believe all those players the Rockets used to have were that much quicker and or smarter than guys on our current roster? If so then I have a compass to sell you to get out of the lost place you're in.