1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"They try." "No, they don't."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yao couldn't even palm a ball.

Smell like cabbage....small hands.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But JVG also recently criticized Hack a Shaq by saying "is fouling a skill."

In the context of "No they don't," did JVG say he now favors no change to the rules?

3. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Actually Shaq did claim that he hit a higher percentage in practices.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

If Chris Webber can fixed his FT %, any big man can. Period.

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

WTF are you talking about? Have you ever even heard of sports psychology?? That's what they do. They get you to stop choking through visualization and that stuff. Helped tons of athletes. Look it up.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. This is why I want Hack an X to stay, to punish people who are too damn lazy to hit above 50% on FTs. Look if Shaq and Dwight can hit fts and Yao Ming can hit fts then I'm sorry everybody else doesn't get a pass. This argument of removing hack an X is just so dumb and I'm glad the NBA put an end to removing it.

7. oakdogg

This book was given to me as a junior tennis player and made me a believer in sports psychology. Somebody fork over the $3.32 and give it to Dwight:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...s jim loehr&qid=1452926953&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

8. heypartner

Off topic, my brother had a unique philosophy regarding serving in tennis. He told me, "What is the purpose of a second serve? Just hit your first serve every time, and if you miss your first try, don't try to hit the lines on the second." It's a mental game. Your %s seem to go up by hitting the same serve twice. The idea is if you double fault too much, then your first serve sucks and you should consider changing it. I actually took that to heart, and it worked. But I was a serve and volley player, specializing in doubles, so flat serves didn't help me much.

But then I actually found a real first serve around age 23 -- booming, jumping flat serve with a massive wrist snap, and used it to great success. And that's when I realized why pros have a second serve. Your arm simply cannot hit 130+ mph booming first serves for 5 sets. My harm would have fallen off.

But otherwise, yeah, just hit the same serve twice. I found it helps eliminate mental issues of choking on second serves, and I found it improved my first serve % as well.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

When guards and forwards start hitting 58% FG let's talk. What is wrong with them? Do they suck? I mean they are the shooters right? Yet Shaq and Dwight are in the top 5 leaders all time. Are the big guys just smarter. More focused. I don't understand. It's all hypocritical to me. If you moved the FT line to 2 feet I assure the guards would lose because they can't shoot it like the big guys.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Of note, Lewis Lloyd at 52% is 45th on the all time FG % list, the top guard, while Jordan and Curry are nowhere to be found in top 150. Makes u think.

11. heypartner

I thought you were being sarcastic. Can't believe you looked up the top 150 FG% list to see where Jordan and Curry "ranked."

Bigs always lead FG% because they are BIG!! The biggest guys on the court get the easiest looks at the rim. That's why coaches love BIGS, and say you can't teach height. You get that, right?

Should I explain how alley oops, offensive rebounding put-backs and tip-ins work too.

12. oakdogg

Still off topic, but I agree that 2 first serves isn't the worst approach. Often, the hardest shot a player will face is an opponent's first serve and the shot most easily attacked a player will face is an opponent's second serves. Players lose a lot of points off their second serve. I used to practice my serve a lot, and it will lead to tendinitis in the shoulder - at least it did for me.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Little guys can do all those things to, they just don't practice it. maybe they should practice shots closer to the basket. Or is it just mental?

14. dianelo

dianelo Member

Exactly. Kawhi Leonard has huge hands but he shoots at 88%.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm an average sized breh and have average sized hands. I can probably shoot 50% easily in practice

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . the only reason he (JVG) was never an NBA Point Guard was because he didn't try hard enough.

Sometimes people simply have limitations

Rocket River

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Nothing unfair about hack-a-Shaq in my opinion. What would be unfair is if they made a rule because of only a few players in the league. Other players that are deficient in other areas may want new rules that would help them.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I heard Chris Webber talk about this excuse during a game once. He said he had never come across another player that had bigger hands than he did. After his first season in Sacramento, he got embarrassed about shooting only 45% from the line and hired a shooting coach to be with him all summer, even taking him to a wedding he went to, so that he could get his practice time in every day. The next season he shot 75% and was around 70% the rest of his career.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yes, but in defense of the big men, they have WIDE and long hands. Kawhi has thin hands with super long fingers. So yeah Kawhi has 11.25" hands which is amazing for a 6'7 player to be near Wilts 11.5'' hands who was a 7'1 man, but Wilt's hands had much more spread and coverage.

I don't think it's talked about nearly enough with regard to Michael Jordan. Sure one of the greatest athletes of any sport that ever lived, but one of the most incredible physical traits that he had was being 6'4 3/4 barefoot and having 11.375" hands that were not just nearly as long as Wilt's but also just as wide. Insane. MJ was a good ft shooter.

20. boiler

boiler Member

Boban Marjanovic has big hands too. He is shooting over 70%. Most of the Euro big players shoot pretty well.