1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eagles fire Chip Kelly

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 29, 2015.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

dude was a hot mess of a coach/gm.

Alienated his players. Made poor decisions. Was accused of being racist.

He will have a hard time coming back from that. If he really wants to be in the NFL, it's probably going to have to be as an OC for at least a year or two to undo some of his negative image.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not saying he hasn't done it before, but the only time I've ever seen Belichick hug the opposing coach after a loss is when the Eagles won at NE last month.

Bill Belichick disappointed Chip Kelly didn’t get more time
    Posted by Darin Gantt on December 31, 2015, 9:17 AM EST
    [​IMG]
    Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, left, and New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, meet at a joint workout during NFL football training camp, Philadelphia, Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2013. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
    AP

Most coaches aren’t willing to wade into other teams’ business, but Bill Belichick isn’t most coaches.

The Patriots boss was open about his disappointment for his friend Chip Kelly, after the Eagles fired him this week.

“Yeah, I would say it’s actually disappointing,” Belichick said, via Phil Perry of CSNNE.com. “Chip Kelly to me is a really good football coach. He does a great job. I think he’s done a good job with that team. It’s disappointing to see, you know, Josh [McDaniels] in Denver . . . There’s a lot of examples. But pretty much everybody’s on a one-year contract in this league. I don’t know how you build a program in one year.

“Chip’s a great coach. He’ll end up somewhere, and he’ll do a great job there. I’d say a lot of the players that were on the Eagles that are no longer on the Eagles aren’t really doing too much for anybody else, either.”

While Kelly’s a friend of his, it’s hard to make that kind of blanket declaration.

Veteran guard Evan Mathis wasn’t able to make an impact for the Broncos, but LeSean McCoy ran well for the Bills and Jeremy Maclin has been significant for the Chiefs. And while wide receiver DeSean Jackson has been injured half the season for playoff-bound Washington, it’s not as if their replacements in Philadelphia were better.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-disappointed-chip-kelly-didnt-get-more-time/

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">49ers expected to choose between Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan for their next HC, per league sources. Decision likely within next 24 hours.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/687690583498973184">January 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Back to the West Coast & San Fran. 49ers

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Neither Chip Kelly or Mike Shanahan inspire confidence. 49ers could be kicking the can down the road.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good hire by the 49ers. Just don't let him be the GM.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After a thorough search, Trent &amp; I are thrilled to announce Chip Kelly as the new <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HeadCoach?src=hash">#HeadCoach</a> of the <a href="https://twitter.com/49ers">@49ers</a></p>&mdash; Jed York (@JedYork) <a href="https://twitter.com/JedYork/status/687704140043038721">January 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bruce Arians, Pete Carroll and .... Chip Kelly. Good luck Chip!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chip Kelly's defenses finished 28th or worse during his three seasons in Philadelphia. Eagles had league-worst TOP last season. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/49ers?src=hash">#49ers</a></p>&mdash; Matt Barrows (@mattbarrows) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/687711945818939392">January 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is up the with league loving its retreads. I think Kaep will fit in Kelly's offense.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How does this guy get another NFL job? Wow

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know much about him. But, I think he had some success as a college coach, and had mixed results as a pro coach.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was one of the guys I said I thought he would be interested in, but wasn't sure if he'd end up back in SF. To me this move would seem to indicate Kaep will be brought back.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I imagine his winning % is probably middle-of-the-pack compared to every other NFL coach in history. Coaches, QB's, GM's, for the most part... they're all mediocre. The NFL wanted parity.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Didnt think he would get another NFL job that fast. Hasn't proved anything on that level

16. Major

Major Member

These are dumb measures being of their pace. TOP, in particular, is a horrid measure for a spread offense. Having less time between plays lowers their TOP but has no effect at all on the game. And having more possessions means the opponent will have more possessions and thus more yards and points.

Taking a struggling team and going 10-6 in two out of three seasons will do that. Turning a nobody backup QB into the most efficient QB in the league for a year doesn't hurt either. His problem was entirely on the GMing side - he did great things as a coach.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder who the token Rooney Rule guy was

Rocket River

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Probably Lovie Smith

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Browns interviewed/hired Hue Jackson
    Bucs interviewed Arizona OC Harold Goodwin
    Dolphins interviewed Bills RB coach Anthony Lynn (and Teryl Austin?)
    Eagles interviewed RB Coach Duce Staley
    Niners interviewed Hue Jackson
    Giants interviewed Lions DC Teryl Austin
    Titans will interview Teryl Austin

The Rooney Rule is a farce and they should get rid of it.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Deuce Staley, lulz.