1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Little Black Book of Available Coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Jan 10, 2016.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I'm not convinced about Walton. You can put anybody on that team as head coach and they wouldn't miss a beat. They just have too much chemistry and talent that team just fits.

2. basketballholic

I'd double rep you if I could smoothie. Just a very thorough rundown with great takes. Really appreciate it.

(This thread should be stickied. And hopefully the posts stay tied to possible future coaching candidates.)

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Why do people keep saying this ****?

His "defensive' accumen was ****, dog ****. He didn't help us at all. McHale blamed the lack of Kelvin for our 1st round defeat to Portland. No, it was being too late on adjustments and being the most predictable offensive team--something Morey worried about prior to going into the post-season.

The best I have ever seen our defensive focus is when our backs are against the wall. It was not McHale, JB, Kelvin, etc. Our strategy and play calling have always been dog ****. McHale's rotations were pretty bad, JBs has been worse.

Keeping JB just made no sense besides for monetary reasons, he was essentially a disciple of dumbass etch & sketch coach Kevin McHale. Until the team actually learns basic defensive strategies, sets and has a coach that can instill this in them we won't be a real contending team. Even the best teams, if their offense isn't flowing their defense keeps them alive. We don't have that going for us. Offensively, yes, we need to be more creative, less predictable, and have some off ball/player movement. It's horrendous. The truth is what the **** do we do in practice? Just scrimmage and horse around?

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Kevin Ollie. I have been calling for him for some time now.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I nominate for post of the year! But Bennett and Smart not getting enough love.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, you are forgetting one very important HC out there.

JBB is the lowest paid head coach, by far. Well under $1m. That's what I'm saying. I'm guessing under $500k, based on TR Dunn's salary in the $250k range That could factor in greatly to retaining JBB. Does he necessarily even get a raise or renegotiation. If so, would it much over $1m. Coaches don't have a Union, CBA and mandated minimum salaries.

Will JBB get favorable treatment in a coach search, because McHale is on the books for $5m and JBB is by far the lowest paid HC right now.

Note: Lue's $1.75m asst salary is not a good indicator of what assistants make. He is the only one ever paid over $1m. Most are well under $500k, down to below $100k. So, that could be used in negotiation with JBB. Like maybe a negotiation starting with ... "We will give you this job, but for only $1m." He won't be offered a better salaried job anywhere else in the NBA than that.

#26 heypartner, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. basketballholic

If we make trades to knock us down out of the luxury tax, there's your extra money for a coaching hire this season.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can't tell if serious. Weird thought if you are. Les won't put an artificial Team Salary Cap on Morey during Free Agents season to include coach salaries for the remainder of McHale's contract.

That won't happen. That's not the way an owner will look at it at all.

wrt Player salaries, Les won't add any extra restrictions on Morey's decisions. Free agency negotiations is completely separate than saying I don't want to pay >$10m for coaches.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Make Adelman President and coach? LMFAO yeah at 75~ years old great idea... Worked so well in Minnesota...

10. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Damn, this is easily one of the best posts I've seen in years. The sheer amount of effort/knowledge that had to go into making this list is astounding. I pretty much agree that after Messina, my list would go Thibs and then Jim Boylen. I don't know enough about college coaches except the big names so it was interesting getting some insight into the different schemes and styles they have.

Yeah, a younger Adelman would work wonders for this team, but at 75 its a pretty risky proposition.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Being considered a good coach is all about being in the right place at the right time. Example, JBB goes from being one of the brightest young minds in coaching to the main problem with the Rockets according to CF, while Luke Walton is now a golden boy.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Nice post breh. I still would give other ex-Rockets a try: Elie, Cassell

Also I thought The Supreme Leader Adelman retired?

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you're right, retaining JBB for one more year until mchale's contract comes off the books might be an option for les. however, i have to believe he'd spend the extra $2M in order to win. he'll make that money back in ticket sales and extra playoff home games.

i only mentioned lue's contract because its the largest for any assistant coach ever. the point being that any assistant coach on this list will happily take $1.5-$2M and a chance to be a head coach.

i think les had to know that firing mchale would mean spending at least an extra $1.5-$2M on a replacement. however, i still think you're right that the money will be a factor against thibs, hollins, brooks, and sean miller. even lue might receive a high dollar offer from another team looking for a new head coach.

14. basketballholic

Les paid McHale in arrears. McHale basically made about half what other playoff coaches made. Less never planned on McHale coaching out that extension. So he's not down any money on McHale's contact.

Morey will most likely try to get us out of the luxury tax while simultaneously improving player mix and Oct salary cap going into the summer.

Don't be surprised if a coaching change is made some time in the next week if we stumble thru the next 3 games, in conjunction with a trade or trades to address our obvious issues with defense, rebounding, and turnovers (efficient play making).

15. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

Awesome post. Lots of names there I never considered as options for HC. What about Chris Finch, though? If I recall, he used to be assumed to be the HC in-waiting.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Speaking about coaching, aside from the Rockets maddening start, equally frustrating from a Rockets fan point of view has to be seeing how well Dallas is doing considering their roster. And how RICK CARLISLE is coaching them up.

If there ever was evidence for what a coach will do.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why is it a black book? A lot of the coaches on the list are white

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree and ditto on the beer.

20. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Cod, any news on Morey's plans?

If we continue this streak, will he keep most of the team?

Or is he hell bent on making moves?