1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K mf G, Nov 8, 2013.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

tried to find it among all the pages and spoilers, but couldn't.

Can anyone point to the article about why a character mentioned in a Star Wars scroll has no real role in the movie? I'm not buying the "he was too busy with a broadway play" explanation, if it's hearsay and rumor.

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Funny you should say this! I spent Christmas with the family near YOUR part of the woods! I got to see the Star Wars movie at the UA Denver Pavilions on 16th street. The whole 3D while laying on your butt thing was awesome! The only thing that I regret is that that I almost got into a fight with some people that were sitting in our designated seats! I guess they thought I didn't have cajones to stand up to them! Nothing happened though, the manager came and made them move, but I was DEFINITELY pumped up (for obvious reasons) when the movie started.

That was on the Saturday of the premier weekend! One cool thing was that I sat next to I guy who had ALREADY seen it 3times! ... :eek:
    He was there with his girlfriend/wife? The odd thing was it was her 1ST time seen the movie...:confused: Something didn't add up there! ... :grin:

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I've seen it four times now. Took my 3 and 6 year old boys to it all 4 times. They are really digging it and that makes me happy.

Seeing it so many times, actually makes me appreciate it greatly. Not going to go into details, you guys have seen it, but there are scenes that move me and others that are just ok.

So, anyone gone to imdb.com and read the synopsis on episode 8? Almost wish I wouldn't have. If what is posted is true, episode 8 should be pretty sick. Don't go to the site if you don't want to know everything.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Not seeing anything under VIII, guess it was removed?

5. mikol13

Supporting Member

It's there, I just checked. Under search type in Star Wars episode 8. It'll come up. Warning you again, it gives the whole story. Fills in a lot of holes from 7.

Actually you're right. The synopsis was removed. I knew I should have taken screen shots. Well, if you want to know what it said...

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah breh, it says "Plot is unknown."

Can you
    what you read earlier?

7. mikol13

Supporting Member

I'll see what I can do. If not tonight, tomorrow. Not even sure I should put it up (not saying I wont) here. I wouldn't mind PM'ing people.

#1527 mikol13, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is the post I was referring to, but it doesn't have any source, neither could I find one via Google now.

Snow Villiers, where did you hear about this?

9. i3artow i3aller

10. heypartner

Thanks for going back and finding that quote.
    Yeah, not believing that.

By comparison, I just heard a Tarantino interview with Howard Stern before Xmas. He is friends with Adam Sandler for a long time and always wanted to cast him. Tarantino says he wrote a character in Inglorious Bastards specifically for Adam Sandler, The Bear Jew, but called Adam and he had another commitment, so Tarantino had to cast another person.

Now that's a writer/director with all the power in the world, who actually wrote a character for a hugely popular actor in Adam Sandler, and that didn't work out, but the show must go on.

Now the Bear Jew is a memorable character in Inglorious Bastards, but not as important to the plot or memorable as a character mentioned in a Star Wars scroll. Yet, we are to believe that JJ Abrams adjusted the plot, left the scroll as is, did the first scene with that character as the main character, then said "OK, you go do your Broadway play. We really wish you could do all your lines in our movie, but we should be able to work around it." And likewise, the actor just left lines on the table for another day in a Star Wars movie.

#1530 heypartner, Dec 31, 2015
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what your obsession with the scroll is... the old man is also mentioned in the scroll (more prominently at that), and he's in the movie for 5 minutes. Same with Luke/Leia, both also mentioned in the scroll.

Issac's character is simply referred to as the "best resistant pilot"... and they certainly did a ton of reinforcing of that (basically his only role... "that's a damn good pilot").

Comparing the other opening crawls:
    ANH: Luke not mentioned, nor is Han... only character mentioned is Leia and the secret plans.
    Empire: Only Luke/Vader mentioned... nothing about Yoda, Han, Leia... and the crawl merely references the Hoth chapter of the movie.
    ROTJ: Focuses mainly on Luke rescuing Han from Jabba.

The crawl most definitely establishes the first/opening scene... and that's about it. JJ merely followed the formula established by each of the previous 3 movies in regards to info/scene and characters that are discussed in the opening crawl.

#1531 Nick, Dec 31, 2015
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Came here to post this, except all I was going to say was "the crawl establishes the first/opening scene... and that's all it's supposed to do."

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Lucas didn't like the new star wars

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">George Lucas says he sold <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StarWars?src=hash">#StarWars</a> to &quot;white slavers&quot; <a href="https://t.co/Zn5cRHN1ci">https://t.co/Zn5cRHN1ci</a> <a href="https://t.co/NOIOFecvqz">pic.twitter.com/NOIOFecvqz</a></p>&mdash; Variety (@Variety) <a href="https://twitter.com/Variety/status/682352729218392064">December 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different - different planets, different spaceships to make it new."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-quips-he-sold-851545?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Lucas echoing the most common complaint in here ("seemed like a remake!")... but at the same time, we've also seen what happens when you sacrifice familiarity for innovation.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think he likes the fact that Disney is on the cusp to make back what they paid for the franchise... and they're only 1 movie in.

16. heypartner

"the most Daring pilot"

its not who isnt mentioned, Nick, its who IS mentioned. All I am saying is i was hugely excited by the scroll mentioning Lela sending her most daring pilot based on all other crawls having main roles to those mentions. it faked me out and i was very disappointed

why do you guys have to protect star wars so much. its just my take

he was set up to be a main character like Han but ending up being a way to get the storm trooper off the star ship, and introduce the droid

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Were you not entertained by his pilot skills that were mentioned/featured in 3 different scenes? If anything, I think they hammered home that point more-so than they had to. He is the most daring pilot... (frankly the only pilot, given how little they really focused on pilots).

As far as what the crawl shows.... its already been explained that it has nothing to do with who is being set up to be a "main" character or not. Using your ownexample, Han is not mentioned in any crawls till ROTJ. Leia is featured the least of all "main" characters in ANH (similar to Isaac's usage)... and she's the only one mentioned in the crawl.

Its not "protecting"... merely responding to strange criticisms. Were people upset that Hoth wasn't featured more in Empire? Or Jabba being a minor villain in ROTJ? Its mentioned so much in the crawl!

If you're upset that they should have used the best actor of the whole movie (Isaac) more, that's one thing... but to be upset that he's not featured more because he's in the crawl? Crawl only establishes what the first scene is... that is all.

#1537 Nick, Dec 31, 2015
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Still think the guy have a much bigger role in the next movies, just way too good of an actor and as a character he could go the Han route (Ace pilot leading attacks, becoming General, charming, etc).

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

will have*
    damn phone

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He forgot how to do things like plot and dialog