1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Offseason Priority List

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Sep 18, 2015.

1. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Yeah, I don't think he's worth $6-7M/yr, but there's not that many lefty relievers on the market right now. And the Astros really need a couple lefty relievers.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sipp is worth it because he gets lefties and righties out. I think 3 years, $18M would be a fair deal.

3. right1

right1 Member

Sipp is in his prime, has proven to be reliable and has never had arm trouble or been injured. I agree a 3 year deal would be a good move by the Astros. Sipp should be used closer to 70 innings rather than 50-55.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Jake McGee and Brad Boxberger... Come on down, you are the next Astros bullpen stalwarts.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, please.

Also, Tyson Ross would still be a nice add to the rotation.

6. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Madson just signed a 3 year deal with the Athletics for $22M. Looks like Soria will be signing a 3 year deal with the Royals today for $25M today. Middle relievers are getting paid. I'm thinking the market for Sipp is shaping up to be 3 years and between $20M-$25M.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Chapman to the Dodgers for a pair of prospects.

I knew there was no way that the Luhnow would give up the asking price for a pitcher that is under control for one year.

8. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

SMH! Come on Luhnow!

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

thats why Houston sports are always average- they dont go for the
    risk.. the offseason is not over and the astros might make some moves
    but they sure lost the opportunity on one of the best closers in the league.

10. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

bingo..chapman is just the closer we need. now we gonna end up with melancon who cant even throw hard. :rolleyes:

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The Texans are the only Houston team that this applies to.

The Rockets are probably one of, if not the, riskiest team in the league when it comes to personnel moves. The Astros traded 6 prospects last year to improve down the stretch. Hell, it can be argued that their complete teardown is one of the riskiest decisions a franchise has made in recent baseball history.

If you're going to complain, at least stay in reality.

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

It applies to the astros too. They had a chance to get Chapman at the deadline. Crane wanted him but Luhnow still didnt want to trade prospects for him. Luhnow needs to get off his ass and make some big moves.

13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

they trade their prospects for players that have team control- i was talking more about making a move for a player that might hit FA (this are the type of
    players they tend to stay away from) i understand that you have to give up prospects for a player to be FA in one year, but at some point you have
    to go for it

dont get me wrong i love what the astros have build- but i would have really like for them to go for a 100 MPH closer :)

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, yell, throw things. Trade every prospect, f**k it, make moves.

1 person likes this.
  15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Kazmir

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Kazmir cough cough...

If another team wants too much for a one year rental, you don't have to make the trade.

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

yea Kazmir was a good risk- didn't work out to well for us, and maybe
    thats why Luhnow is reluctant to do it again.

I really hope Luhnow does something- I feel like this team is close to a world series just need to add a piece or 2

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Wonder if this makes Kenley Jansen available? You can't have 2 closers, and I don't think he's gonna be thrilled about being reduced to a setup guy.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

i wouldn't have given up much for one year of chapman either. faced with the same problem a year from now, and out (presumably) great prospect(s)..."wouldn't be prudent", as dana carvey would say.

we are going to come out of this offseason with some sort of significant bullpen upgrade, that's for sure. be patient. and who knows what's available at the deadline. heck, maybe the dodgers have a disastrous season (already down grienke, for starters), and we can get a half year of chapman dirt cheap.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really? Dude, are you an insider or do you believe every rumor you read about?