1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: What in the world is wrong with the Houston Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 23, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sure he did. In a radio interview, he said chemistry was generally overrated.

(Being asked about the then newly-formed Miami Big 3) Does chemistry have a big part on whether they'll be good or not?

DM: Generally, it's overrated. Winning breeds chemistry. Many thought Artest would hurt the Lakers. We knew Ron was a better teammate than given credit for. A little corky but on the floor he's solid. Generally overrated but that said, we've had good chemistry and hope that creates wins. We focus first on getting good players and chemistry follows.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, and not just in that interview either, he has said it about chemistry and coaching not being all that important either.

I think he is too analytical - as these are humans, and that is something that should be quantified too.

DD

3. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

That quote was from 2010 (formation of the Big 3 in Miami). I would argue that experiences before 2015 would have, and have, led to some evolution in that thought from Morey - particularly on the chemistry front. He doesn't bring back most of the team's free agents if he isn't looking for some sort of chemistry. Stability is one form of chemistry, and the Rockets (and by extension Morey) sought chemistry this past summer.

I think the next coaching hire will be revealing to see how he values coaching; not sure what type of coach he'll be looking for.

In short, not sure if what Morey thought and was quoted in 2010 is what he thinks and believes in 2015.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is a article that I agree with in principle anyway:

Over Utilization of James Harden is Reason Rockets Are Losing

http://spacecityscoop.com/2015/11/29/over-utilization-of-james-harden-is-reason-rockets-are-losing/

As it happens, the more we lose, the more Harden tries to do (on offense). While on a individual level this is understandable, on a team level, its making matter worse, not better.

While I agree that winning breeds chemistry, chemistry and winning depend on every player being involved and knowing their role. Somehow, during last years playoffs, this was true. And now its not.

5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You can see it on the floor. He doesn't put in the effort on defense half the time. There's nothing else to know.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

There is no doubt Harden has put in a ton of work over his career to get to where he is, that much is evident. There is no doubt in my mind that he's worked a ton on his game.

But we're talking about leadership. How do you hold other people accountable as the leader if you aren't putting in the effort yourself? You can't. It's not possible, no one will take you seriously. They can simply ask why you don't try on defense and the discussion is over.

My point is, there is an endless amount of players who were extremely talented, but failed to lead his team through all 82 games plus the playoffs giving max effort. There is an extra level some players have and there is no doubt it rubs off on their teammates. Players hold each other accountable, there is only so much a coach can do.

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Chemistry was overrated?

Sorry, I would rather believe Morey was overrated.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need Harden to be out for a couple of weeks so he can learn to trust his teamates, sort of like Dream when he was out and the Rox won 13 in a row he came back a much more trusting teamate.

DD

9. boiler

boiler Member

If Harden is out for a couple of weeks, they may lose 13 in a row. And that is not gonna make him trust teammates more.

10. SeabrookMiglla

watched the 2nd half tonight. down by 23 i think coming into the 3rd

bev gave us a spark, he played hard, dwight played hard, we began to run them down in transition and their confidence broke as they went on a scoring drought.

defense picked up

when we started playing half court in the 4th thats when they really got us.

the 4th quarter we lost some momentum. pistons were getting open shots on the perimiter while the rockets were collapsing on the inside to prevent jackson from driving to the basket.

pistons were playing an in and out game that we couldnt really respond to.

i will say the rockets are definitely playing with a little more urgency the last few games ive watched. they seem like they want to regain control of the season which is good.

ive gotta agree with bickerstaff, the minute we started to scrap coming out of the half we had our comeback. thats how we need to play.

**team defense as a whole is still a major issue though... teams have been scoring on us too easily, you cant expect to win a season without defense.

but the effort is steadily improving, and they need to keep fighting.

11. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

when we dont run our offense sucks

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I don't think he would learn or would even care to learn...

He reminds me too much of Adrian Dantley...

1) Stop gap on offense..
    2) No defense...
    3) Cares more about his numbers than the team
    4) Blames everyone else for his mistakes...

T_Man

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

OR... They make actually WIN all 13 games with a total team game on offense and defense...

T_Man

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you talking about 1991 -- the eye injury? You have it in reverse, and I didn't even need to look it up. (So, someone feel free to check my memory.) Dream was out for nearly two months, came back, and the Rockets immediately won 13 games in a row and 17 of 18.

I think it was more that the remaining Rockets came together unlike ever before to hold it together and survive without their superstar, until he returns. "Let's win for Hakeem."

Then when Dream came back he didn't have to start right away, but was a powerful addition to launch them into the 13 game win streak.

The Cartwright elbow caused the rest of the team to trust themselves without Dream and come together. I mean, they still got swept by the Lakers in the 1st round, and failed to make the playoffs the next year.

For how much you always bring up your "hakeem didn't win until he started trusting his teammates" mantra of Rockets history, I'm sure you were saying "Hakeem still isn't trusting his teammates." in the 42-40 1992 season when Cheney got fired. You make it sound like that return from the eye injury was the beginning of the rise of the Rockets.

So, you should change your analogy to, "Harden needs to be out so he can learn to trust his teammates to, "Harden needs to be out so his teammates can learn to trust themselves, like when Hakeem went out." There are many examples of this in sports history where the team comes together when the superstar gets injured. Weird how you recite an oral history to say Dream learned something rather than the team (which is the way it's usually recited regarding stories of other injuries to superstars).

#275 heypartner, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

oops, double post.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yeah I refused to watch the game tonight. From the looks of it I'm glad I did.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still haven't put the original starters back together. They really need to. Let them work it out.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn i hate cartwright and the bulls for that hakeem injury

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

nba stars want to be able to trust their team mates, but trust is earned, not given. And, hell, Harden has given them so many opportunities that just end in bricks.