1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I had Killens last year, it was amazing. I loved it, and my mouth is still watering thinking about it. I've had Gatlins several times but not in several years. It was definitely a favorite for my visits to H-town.

I will definitely go to Killens again next year when I visit Houston.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This was the brisket I made for Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

Nice bark. How did it turn out on the inside? How'd you smoke it? (wood, rub, temp, rig, etc)

4. rockbox

My briskets have been compared to Franklins and LaBarbecue. This one took 13 hours on my WSM at around 220-250.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Just had the brisket at Roegel's on Voss. Some of the best I have had in town. Highly recommend.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Small world. I had the brisket there today as well. It's terrific.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Best smoker for low cost and small size.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just want to add I hate BBQ joints and only went to Killen's because a friend of mine asked me to go.

Also did not try any of the sauces because good BBQ doesn't need it and most sauces are terrible (IMO).

Hopefully next time they aren't sold out of chicken.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I prefer my Akorn for low cost and value. Outstanding performance and porcelain dont rust.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Made a trip to the Brisket House in the galleria when visiting home this Thanksgiving.

Best brisket I've ever had. Good pulled pork too.

Everything else is so-so, but that brisket is killer.

11. rockbox

For "smoking", I've found nothing under a 1K that comes close to the WSM. The akorn and other Kamodo style grills are great because of their versatility but they have problems with space and are a PITA when you overshoot temps. Those are not an issue with the WSM. In my 22.5, I've done four full briskets at a time and they hold temp for 14 hours without adding fuel or adjusting vents.

#1051 rockbox, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  12. Bandwagoner

Rust is a red herring. They are both made of steel and the porcelain enamel of the weber hold up great.

Yeah the o-ringed, insulated grills can reach and hold high temps but cannot do slow and low like a WSM. Smaller footprint than akorn with twice the cooking area.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You think so? The brisket at their Deer Park location is average at best.

IMO, their home runs are their smoked chicken and turkey.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dozier BBQ in Fulshear is great.
    Brisket, sausage, ribs, yum.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

4 briskets? Impressive... That is one thing I complain about with the akorn, its the limited space, but I can still stack 2 briskets and a 3rd if I use the heat deflector plate as a dip pan also (not ideal but doable). Also, with a good load of fuel, I can hold temp for just as long give or take.

Both'll rust but only one will eat through when it does. Ill happily take porcelain over just metal with enamel anyday. I dont know about the WSM, but I can hold a constant 225 for hours on end. It might be a little bit of a struggle to get there at first, but once there, its all day. I am jealous of the cooking area though, luckily I dont ever have to smoke that much, but would be nice.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Had lunch at Pappa's BBQ on 59, horrible. Just horrible. Worst meal I think I've had in years. The ribs were chewy and tough. The pulled pork had no flavor whatsoever. The mac and cheese tasted like water and noodles. The baked beans were putrid and disgusting. I can't believe how terrible the food was there. I'm still in shock.

Strangely enough, I had some of my friend's french fries and they were phenomenal. You could tell they're freshly cut. So if you go, just get fries and forget everything else.

17. Bandwagoner

Both inner and outer of your (very nice) grill is steel. The outside is a powder coat the inside is porcelain lined steel, just like the entire WSM. It isn't a heavy expensive ceramic grill. Rust is basically a non factor for both, and the least interesting thing to discuss on them. I would agree with rockbox, o-ring grills are versatile, nothing in the size and price touches a WSM for slow and low Q.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I have a 22.5 WSM as well. How do you get it to hold the temp for 14 hours without adjusting the vent? Do you have a full water pan?

I usually have all vents open, get the temp up to 225, put the meat on, and then when it climbs back up to 225 (after the dip once the food is put on) I then put the lower vents to like 25% open. That holds temp decently well, I would say within +/- 10 degrees for a couple hours, then the temp starts climbing and I need to either put water in or adjust the vents further.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not sure what you were expecting there. I'll put their breakfast tacos up against anyone...but their bbq is below average to crap. As far as chains go, they're ahead of Dickie's but behind Rudy's. I do agree on their fries, though. They are pretty damn good.

20. Buck Turgidson

I'm jealous. I was supposed to bbq all day, but the CenTex rainpocalypse rolled in, so I had to slum it and make a pot of venison/pork chili instead.