1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: What in the world is wrong with the Houston Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 23, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Great let's go into the lottery for possibly a decade like the Clippers, T-wolves, the Sixers and others. Hey we might get lucky and get a two way superstar who kills it in his first season. If the top lottery pick is not a bust but is only a superstar on say defense or offense, keep trading him for more young players and picks till we hit it.

Meanwhile we could start rooting for our team again. We could rejoice in our occasional victory when over matched. No need to complain about coaches and players not trying their hardest when we know they can only win about 10% of the games when they have perfect attitudes, don't look fat, sleep with the wrong person, go out more thatn Step Curry etc.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

other than last year, and probably this year too; Curry is clearly their least "plus defender" (though he's not bad, they're a great defensive team).

But your resort to history is sound.

This sounds like the lame "two way" nonsense people vomited up about Klay Thompson last year.

What is the adequate level of 'defenstitude" to be considered not one way. Harden last year? Harden in OKC? Is it D-Rating?

You name a metric, I'm pretty sure I will be able to name an exception - that is what ill-considered "never" rules like this generally end up as.

#182 SamFisher, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  3. basketballholic

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

funny how people still think curry is a total negative on defense. There's actually effort on that end from him and hes made significant strides to be at least decent on defense.

As long as Harden continues to be a one way player, hell never win a championship as the best player

5. SamFisher

Got it - same question to you then, what is the "one way player" metric that we shoudl use to evaluate this hypothesis? Is it youtube/vine clips-based?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. SamFisher

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

metric? all you need to do is watch him in games on the defensive end. that should be enough measurements. Which do you like more? The backdoor plays teams run against Harden? The wrap around lazy poke Harden does when he gets beat? Or how about the patented fast break get out of the way defense.

9. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I don't know what to expect with this team anymore. We could be up 20 in the 2nd, but squander that lead very fast. I'm just hoping for a win.

10. malakas

malakas Member

It's true that for some people judging from the eye test is too difficult and they require metrics to make judgements instead of using said metrics put them into context and enhance their eye test conclusions. The fact that Curry is considered by some to be attrocious in defence speaks for their bball iq or their prejudige.

11. SamFisher

OK so your metric is anectdotal evidence.

Sounds great. I can tell you that I remember Magic Johnson being hot garbage. I watched TV back then. It's the eye test. Do I win a prize? I just disproved the theory.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

difference being one's the truth and its not coming from your end. sorry

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

as apposed to JH's defense? oh ok what defense.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My post had nothing to do with James Harden.

16. SamFisher

OK, didn't know I was dealing with Skip Bayless call-in show type propositions here. Will hang up, and not listen.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Even Curry said this year wrt the Rockets getting Lawson that he'd have to play defense against the Rockets now.

I agree with SamFisher and Deuce: This is a bad year to be saying no team has ever won when their best player was a one-way player. If Curry isn't in that one-way player category, then y'all are just changing the definition of it to bash Harden.

Try as you might, like Bay Area's Ethan Sherwood Strauss did, to defend Curry for agenda reasons, I ain't buying it. The GSW defense is designed to protect Curry's lack of it.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Haralabos Voulgaris, pretty much went right at Strauss with that exact point when the article broke.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Also, I don't think anyone has ever called Dirk Nowitzki a good defender -- not even average. He's actually one of the worst PF defenders in the game.

But, he won the title.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member