1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets spend two days trying to instill confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Nov 23, 2015.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much.

There is a reason Phil Jackson was called the "Zen Master" after all.

2. SemisolidSnake

MORE-y THREES, THEN!

I wonder what would happen if an owner just forfeited the rest of his team's games until the All Star Break in an attempt to actually give his team time to work with a new coach that was hired early in the season. The Rockets aren't going anywhere. There's no time for a newly-minted head coach to fix things when you're constantly playing games.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Wasn't one of the leaks from the team meeting that they felt whatever McHale had them doing in practice wasn't translating to the game? Think I read that.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Didn't hear that. Thanks.

Who's the translator then? Weird how McHale's record improved every season and he is the winningest coach in Rox history. If that was all due to the players, not McHale, they why the **** didn't the players stop sucking a while back? Success depends on them, supposedly, right?

Get us more wins than last season, oh players who don't need their coach to win!

5. Nook

Nook Member

What a joke.

The problem with the Rockets is that they are over confident.

They think they can turn it on whenever they want.
    They think they are already great.
    They think they don't need to work hard or listen to their coach.

Just absurd... This woe is me BS about the players from the front office and now the head coach.

The Rockets and Clippers should just combine teams. Both always looking for the easy way out.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, have friends and family that have worked for the Rockets for years and all have told me there isn't really any major differences in how McHale ran practice and other coaches. Just sounds to me like a bunch of excuses from players that cannot be fired and don't want to take accountability.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Have to say this is the first time since I started in 2002 when I have kinda negative feelings toward the players and the owner.

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Can't agree more!

Defensive philosophy gotta be the first to install though. With good defense, this team can always get some transition offense going.

9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

There's nothing wrong with this at all. It's part of the job of being a HC.

The reason question is what the hell were they doing before? Many of us asked if they even practiced..

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Not saying your info isn't correct. But JB seems to differ from that. What I gather from that piece is we were not running thru practice at game speed. His comments seem to suggest a slow pace which is just stupid. I always thought you were suppose to practice how you play

11. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Shoot better! *clap clap*

12. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Hmm I have an idea for this confidence issue... START WINNING GAMES!

13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Call me crazy, but if you're an NBA player and you're not shooting well, wouldn't you put in extra practice yourself in your own time?
    Why are they having to specifically do this in team practice?
    Look at Dwight for example. Horrific free thrower but this season he's been shooting better which clearly shows he's worked on that aspect. You can't tell me the team devoted training specifically to that. Surely he's worked on that himself (or brought someone in to help).
    Hopefully these aren't excuses and here's hoping it translates to the court tomorrow.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Steph Curry they are not. Steph Curry does not need his coach to assign him to do three-point drills. This is very disturbing.

These Rockets players should not require this type of practice.

So you (used to) have one of the fifty all-time great players as your coach, Kevin McHale, and you are playing in such a way that what you need from him is three point drills? That's pretty shameful, really, to require high-school or college-level coaching, fundamentals; not the psychological aspects of the game, the mindset of a champion, the habits that McHale was more focused on.

In interviews McHale used to talk about James Harden's development of his career and sort of Hall-of-Fame trajectory. That's how he treated Harden as a player. But I feel like James Harden did not rise to that larger vision of himself. I think he will, I hope. It's a pity he lost focus with McHale though. They really could have gone places together.

So many things go into being a champion. Maybe that's why I'm not one either ;)

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should have spent two days working on getting Harden and Lawson to gel...

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I really figured the Rockets had another coach lined up after they fired McHale. They could have just kept McHale if they had no one actually coming in to take the job. This is pathetic.

17. basketballholic

Just a bunch of hocus pocus.

Rockets shooting problems are 2-fold:

1. They don't have good shooters to begin with.

2. They ARE NOT getting enough clean looks from 3. I don't care what they say. All you gotta do is watch the games. That's more bologna. They're taking rushed, quick 3's, not getting set properly, don't have any rhythm and Harden is just vomiting out pull up 3's with terrible, terrible accuracy. They're taking the wrong looks from 3. They are simply not getting very many good looks from 3.

I thought Bickerstaff looked totally out of his comfort zone after practice today. This is harry high school stuff.

#37 basketballholic, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The owner was angry and he wanted McHale fired. It didn't matter if it was a rash move or no one outside the organization was available.

Morey acquiesced to the owner and now is hoping to save his own job.

19. thejav

thejav Member

so.. when they get blown out by the grizzlies next game..what then?

20. Nook

Nook Member

They don't have good shooters but historically Harden, Thornton, Ariza, Beverly and Lawson have been good enough to hurt you if you leave them open.

I see terrible spacing and a lot of players drifting from spots.