1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Candidates for 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, May 17, 2013.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think he's given Democrats a lot of ammunition to attack him with, given the government shutdowns and whatnot. But, I don't think that makes him unelectable. I could see him still striking that sort of strident tone, but becoming more centrist about his views on what should be done. If he gets the chemistry right, I can see voters perceiving him as a strong can-do type that would chart a realistic but clearly conservative path forward.

Really, when it comes to personalities, I think Cruz has the "It" factor none of these other guys do. He's got charisma, gravitas, intelligence and savvy. People can defer to him as a leader. Trump has the charisma but not the gravitas. That's really why I've been saying since forever that I'm afraid of Cruz winning. Because he probably would be an effective president, but going in a direction I don't want to go.

With his mass, once it gains momentum there will be no stopping it!

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that Cruz and Rubio would have going for them is that it's kind of hard for a rich white woman from suburban Illinois to tell two guys who were raised by immigrants about how they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to immigration policy.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sure, the polls don't clearly show it happening yet and both guys have lasted longer than expected. That doesn't change the fact both Carson and Trump are toast. It's amusing to watch people fret about them.

In my opinion, Trump's attacks on Carson hurt him just as much as Carson and will hasten their mutual demise.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I read somewhere that Cruz had "audiographic" memory as opposed to "photographic"memory. Never heard of such a thing but this might be evidence of it.

5. Major

Major Member

In Ben Carson's world, Al Qaeda are not global jihadists...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-al-qaeda-paris-attacks-215950

Ben Carson wants to increase military intervention in Syria because he sees Islamic State militants as an existential threat to the United States, something he said was not an issue with Al Qaeda in 2003.

“A lot of Americans really think back to 2003, and they remember Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda,” Carson explained at a Nevada rally on Sunday, according to MSNBC. “They say, ‘we never should have gone in there and destabilized it.’ And they may be right about that."

“But here’s the problem, Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda at that time was not an existential threat to us. The global jihad movement is an existential threat. They want to destroy us and everything that has to do with us,” the retired neurosurgeon continued, even though Al Qaeda was the force behind the 9/11 attacks.

6. Major

Major Member

Now Carson's own advisors are saying he has no clue what he's talking about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/u...ing-to-grasp-foreign-policy-advisers-say.html

Ben Carson Is Struggling to Grasp Foreign Policy, Advisers Say

Snippets:

Faced with increasing scrutiny about whether Mr. Carson — who leads in some Republican presidential polls — was capable of leading American foreign policy, two of his top advisers said in interviews with The New York Times that he had struggled to master the intricacies of the Middle East and national security and that intense tutoring was having little effect.

“Nobody has been able to sit down with him and have him get one iota of intelligent information about the Middle East,” Duane R. Clarridge, a top adviser to Mr. Carson on terrorism and national security, said in an interview. He also said Mr. Carson needed weekly conference calls briefing him on foreign policy so “we can make him smart.”

But the briefings do not always seem to sink in, Mr. Clarridge acknowledged. After Mr. Carson struggled on “Fox News Sunday” to say whom he would call first to form a coalition against the Islamic State, Mr. Clarridge called Mr. Williams, the candidate’s top adviser, in frustration. “We need to have a conference call once a week where his guys roll out the subjects they think will be out there, and we can make him smart,” Mr. Clarridge said he told Mr. Williams.

Mr. Williams, one of Mr. Carson’s closest friends, who does not have an official role in the campaign, also lamented the Fox News interview. “He’s been briefed on it so many times,” he said. “I guess he just froze.”

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This is...news?

8. TheresTheDagger

Bobby Jindal just dropped out of the Republican race.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trump Trump Trump! Bahaha... maybe someone should introduce him to the 1st amendment. You know the one before the 2nd amendment.

Donald Trump: 'Strongly consider' shutting mosques
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/politics/donald-trump-paris-attacks-close-mosques/

(CNN)Donald Trump on Monday suggested he would "strongly consider" shutting down mosques in the U.S. as part of the response to the terror attacks in Paris.

"Well, I would hate to do it but it's something you're going to have to strongly consider," Trump said during an interview on MSNBC. "Some of the absolute hatred is coming from these areas...The hatred is incredible. It's embedded. The hatred is beyond belief. The hatred is greater than anybody understands."

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Carson not only struggles with foreign policy, but apparently with domestic too... at least with the states. To be fair, it was his campaign staff, but...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/18/ben-carsons-campaign-made-a-u-s-map-and-put-a-bunch-of-states-in-the-wrong-place/

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No way a presidential candidate just said that:eek::eek:

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The news here is...that he was still in the race.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That is quite literally a fascist suggestion. Wow. I am finally surprised by him.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

God help us if Carson or Trump get the Republican nomination.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Three interesting things about that Trump quote:

1. It has received relatively little media exposure.
    2.He is still in the race when you would think something so blatantly anti-Constitutional would immediately sink a candidate.
    3. Related to #2, it seems to be resonating with a frighteningly large number of Americans.

16. Major

Major Member

Trump is immune to pretty much all the conventional rules of politics. He can virtually anything he wants and it doesn't hurt him. It's really a fascinating phenomenon - it will be really interesting to see how far this can carry him.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

well...it's not the first offensive thing he's said. Just the latest.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The GOP...so adamant about the 2nd amendment...completely ignore the 1st. Hypocrites that pick and choose what they want.

I'm sure a lot of republicans in no way whatsoever agree with him, but you're not gonna see a single one come out and criticize him.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Probably been shared before, but what the hell. From The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

20. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Serious question - How much longer do we have to deal with Trump as a contender? This is getting beyond ridiculous.