1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Anyone that bashes JVG for his coaching here clearly needs a history lesson. Those teams on offense were nothing more than Tracy and Yao with everyone else standing around. There were ZERO role players on those teams. We took a decent step forward when we got Battier in JVG's final year, but even he will never be mistaken for an above average offensive player.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

:grin: Gonna have a disappointed board when JVG or Thibodeau isn't named the new coach, whenever that is.

Les is not hiring back JVG. That's not happening.
    Thibodeau is probably slim at best.

3. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I think Bickerstaff would likely takeover.

Isn't he the vocal leader during practices and stuff? I've heard he keeps Harden accountable.

4. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Lastly, that final year of JVG, he got a whopping 48 games out of Yao and 71 out of Tracy. Because of a studly defense, we still won 52 games. I'd imagine with a healthy Yao playing 60-70 games, we'd probably have won 60 that year.

Utter stupidity to bash JVG. He needed to go at the time, but to think he wouldn't be a HUGE improvement over McHale is asinine.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Kevin Ollie. And he's close with KD.

6. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Yep, and **** this team when it doesn't happen.

I'm getting sick and tired of our inept Houston organizations. Right now, it looks like Luhnow is the only GM in this town with half a brain. And it took 10 damn years to finally get there!

If it's true that Morey just wants a yes man and is only interested in playing his style of ball, then I'm done with him. Morey can **** himself.

1 person likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

The J.B. Bickerstaff running the Rockets defense?

Rockets don't have an interim coach on staff.

8. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I am praying that Les and Morey are working a deal right now with Thibs or JVG to be the new coach of the Rockets which is why we aren't hearing anything from Morey.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Perhaps it's all a public ruse, but I don't think JVG would ever have talks with a team while they still had a head coach.

10. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Brace yourself to feel like this when it doesn't happen:

[​IMG]

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

LOL! :eek:

12. ibm

ibm Member

i agree what you just said, in several posts, about jvg.

to me, one of his biggest drawback is that he over-relies and over-uses his star players. one can argue he had no others to turn to, but this not only refers to yao (does anyone realize yao is only 35 today?) and mcgrady, it goes back to his knicks days.

no matter how little talent we had, a yao-mcgrady combo doesnt come around very often. in my mind, jvg only knew one way of using a real good center and that's probably because he learnt coaching largely from pat riley, in the ewing era.

but i also tend to think that so many seasons of commentating and watching the league has got him more flexibility in terms of bball thinking.

13. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Definitely agree. He most certainly could have contributed to Tracy and Yao breaking down. That said, I think it was in JVG's 1st or 2nd season that Tracy missed a bunch of games. The guy showed up on the Rockets and almost immediately started getting hurt.

It's really a shame those teams had no role players. We really should have won a championship or two, especially in 04-05, if memory serves me correct. It was that series that took my hatred of Dallas to all-time levels, and it still remains at that level to this day.

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

JVG hasn't coached in 8 years and his last coaching job was with us. What makes y'all think he would all of a sudden want to come back to coaching nonetheless with the Rockets again?

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The Rockets organization minus Mchale tossing his guys under the bus keeping their mouth shut tells me all I need to know about how they view this season.

16. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

I don't think he would. Which is why my guy is Thibs.

But JVG still lives in the Houston area, is still a big time Rockets fan, holds no apparent grudges against the FO so with all of those factors, I think if JVG had any itch at all to coach again he'd happily coach for the Rockets one last time.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Fair enough. Carroll Dawson sort of checked out after the T-Mac trade. But I wouldn't say that he worked magic with what he had either.

18. ibm

ibm Member

i had title aspiration back then, too. smh...

but even to this day, for the life of me, i still cant figure out what happened in game 7 of that mavs series. that disaster always feels coming from nowhere. i was so expecting a good fight for that game. but instead gundy's rockets put up one of the biggest stinkers in that g7.

1 person likes this.
  19. finsraider

finsraider Member

uhhhh......that's just how the Rocket's do business. If McHale is fired, I doubt there will be a lead up to it. It will just pop up in a Woj tweet one day:

"Kevin McHale has been fired by the Rockets, per sources"

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Never forget, words of wisdom!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey">@dmorey</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TheJetOnTNT">@TheJetOnTNT</a> Hello,I'am a funs of Houston Rockets.I think Milk Hair was so fool that we lost 3 matches.</p>&mdash; nothing (@HoustonerJob) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonerJob/status/461126760600305665">April 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>