1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple Attacks Roil Paris; President Hollande Is Evacuated From Stadium

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Nov 13, 2015.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I didn't say they could occupy Syria and get rid of Daesh, I said "their armies are not a joke. Turkey could definitely do a lot toward smashing Daesh if they wanted to" -- which is true.

But the entire point was not how strong or not strong the Turkish army is, but that you are being very naive if you think the reason a country as strong as Turkey is not stopping Daesh is because "their army is a joke" instead of the truth, which is that they can't even attempt to stop them since they are too busy actively helping them. But if you want to ignore that for some reason, I guess that is your prerogative.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I was articulating my own experience from my own perspective then, comparing it then to now. It's hard to articulate a level of fear, but thanks for sharing yours as well

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that's a strawman. I never said the reason they aren't stopping Daesh is because their army is a joke. I'm saying they couldn't stop Daesh even if they made it their prerogative.

You say there army could do a lot towards smashing Daesh. It's not their army that is the problem, it's their gov't and their policy towards the Kurds. Even if their gov't were sane enough to see Daesh as a problem, their army could do not much more than let the Kurds fight Daesh.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow This is heavy. Unbelievable some people are just sick.

We were supposed to go to disneyland paris today for a trip untill friday.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's so hard to remember but from what I can recall it was just overwhelmingly stressful. Not that we'd get hit again, just the stench in the air from the towers, the edginess of everyone, the heaviness. It felt for the first time that the energy of the city had been replaced by just a heaviness.

People didn't seem afraid though. But yeah, everyone experiences fear and shows it differently. It felt like a lifetime ago.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They shouldn't mention these ****'s names, they are worthless souls and should never be mentioned to anyone. No one should think that blowing themselves up leads to your name being heard all around the world. You should die as an anonymous **** that hated humanity and killed innocent people, nothing else.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Welcome to the internet age. They do it because they fear getting scooped by a rando blogger.

If they get it wrong...a Saturday morning retraction.

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: International manhunt on for suspect likely involved in Paris attacks <a href="https://t.co/YDgmCHEA3T">https://t.co/YDgmCHEA3T</a> <a href="https://t.co/2iMLeNHiQO">pic.twitter.com/2iMLeNHiQO</a></p>&mdash; NBC Nightly News (@NBCNightlyNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/665942827017351168">November 15, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Catch him and water board his ass with Perrier for all the info.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qtdnovCHbWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The French have better techniques than waterboarding. Theyll probably fatten him up in a hole and turn his liver into Foie Gras. That would be justice.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been seeing a lot on social media about people now being afraid to go Paris or the rest of Europe. If this really is a war of civilizations then the best way to fight this war is to continue enjoying our civilization. If scum like DAESH want us to be afraid that's not going to stop me from going out to enjoy a fine meal, an exciting sporting event and a rocking concert. Especially in one of the greatest cities of the World.

Terrorism by definition is using terror to force social and political change. DAESH and their ilk want us to be afraid. They want us to think they can strike us anywhere and anytime. The truth is though is terrorism is in most of the first world is very rare. We have far more to fear from reckless driving than we do from terrorists. It is only when our fear of terrorist cause us to not go about living our lives that they really have power. This is really no different than being afraid of swimming in the ocean because of shark attacks. The difference is though that the sharks are acting only on instinct and don't care whether we go into the ocean. The terrorists are trying to scare us out of the water.

We should grieve for those who are lost and punish those responsible but we shouldn't give into fear that we are afraid to leave our homes.

12. HamJam

It isn't a strawman -- look at how the conversation went:

Mojoman said: "Why don't Muslims and Islamic governments around the region join to together to rid their lands of this latest terrorist threat in the name of Islam? The truth is, they do not appear to be very interested in taking that task on at all."

You said: "Because their armies are a joke and couldn't take out ISIS if they all got together and tried."

I then pointed out that their armies are not a joke, and the reason they don't do anything is because they are supporting Daesh.

So, you actually did explicitly say that the reason they don't take out Daesh is "because their armies are a joke". I pointed out the real reason is because they are not even trying to do so because they are too busy aiding Daesh.

1 person likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The use of different passports is an obvious jab at the spirit of the Schengen zone. I was woken up ass early on a night train from Spain to Portugal because of a border check and I was incensed thinking they better be looking for some serial killer or rapist.

This has already been going on in the border countries and it'll intensify, but I think the learning curve will be steep for them because law enforcement is generally constrained in Europe and those terrorist ****s likely already have legit euro passports from whatever weak link they can find.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Speak for yourself. I'd like to know who these people are, and so do other people.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Glad that someone is acknowledging the mistakes of the Bush administration.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I always acknowledge mistakes regardless of the political party of those who make them. Abandoning Iraq prematurely was a bad idea by Bush which was continued by Obama who later campaigned on that bad idea as if it was his own. Both of them are to blame for making an absolute mess of Iraq and leading to the expansion and growth of ISIS or whatever you want to call it.

That said, this isn't in the D&D anymore so I don't really want to further what would be a political debate and discussion here in the hangout.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I can't stand how people let their emotions take over reason. I am reading a random article on Obama trying to close Guantanamo and the comments are just sickening. It doesn't surprise me that people say these types of things, but then just the sheer volume of likes/dislikes supporting those comments is disturbing.

[​IMG]

18. HamJam

Jesus Christ ! What the heck website was that from? Unless it was freaking a Stormfront, Pegida or Trump for President website, then I am seriously disappointed with my fellow humans for those comments.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am saying that they couldn't take out Daesh even if they have the political will to do so. They do not have the means. Ok?

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

larsv8, what do you expect? We see crazy knee-jerks 24/7 here on the bbs. Now extrapolate that to a more serious/deadly topic, and you get that.