1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ty Lawson Effect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Nah Mo Williams is good this year because he plays with Lebron, who gives effort almost all of the time and is probably the hardest worker on that team. You can't piss off Lebron or else you get fired.

If Mo Williams was on our team, he'd be following Harden, no defense, straight to the club.

2. dmoneybangbang

That's not very fair considering how long his tenure has been with the Rockets compared to his career averages. He will need time to adjust to new teammates and how we play, but he his not a prolific scorer or good scorer.

Maybe it's just not a good fit since he is a ball dominant guard like Rondo; Lawson assists less and scores better but defends worse at his prime.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now I can say with good conscience there is no such thing as the Law Son effect

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

2015-16, Total FGA: 86, FG%: 31.4
    [​IMG]

2014-15, Total FGA: 926, FG%: 43.6
    [​IMG]

2013-14, Total FGA: 806, FG%: 43.1
    [​IMG]

2012-13, Total FGA: 971, FG%: 46.1
    [​IMG]

5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

So basically are you suggesting that our philosophy of 3s or layups is a bad fit for him? Since in the past, I'm guessing a lot of his drives ended with floaters or mid rage shots, and sometimes layups.

But since he can't shoot mid range shots he doesn't even try?

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

No, if the Lawson of the past two seasons is who he is now as a player. It isn't about fit or effort at all.

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I'd like to see a breakdown of the %'s of his shots that were in those areas.

Just offhand it looks like 2 years ago he took half his shots in the paint or restricted area and that fell off the map.

8. Raven

Raven Member

I might have to reevaluate my opinion on the Lawson trade. I thought giving up a first was a steal, but the Rockets are currently not a top eight team. It's easy to scoff and make some bold proclamation that there's no way the Rockets miss the playoffs, but that possibility can't be ruled out, not now, not the way they are playing. Was the pick protected? :confused:

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

There you go. Perfect answer for me. I think they will get it figured out. I remember TMac deferred to Yao too much when he first started here. People should be upset, but I don't think today's Lawson will be the same Lawson we have later in the season.

1 person likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's hard to hate the Lawson trade yet, based on what we gave up.

I can only hope the optimists are right about Lawson, and that he'll "figure things out".

Thing is: there's no signs of him even trying to figure it out. He isn't running out of control and throwing the ball away on miscommunications (a la Corey Brewer). He is playing like someone shot him with a tranq dart.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I'm telling you, most alcoholics and drug addicts for that matter are depressed. He's sad, someone give him a hug.

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Ty being Ty

[youtube]MWvqpFrh2Eg[/youtube]

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

**waits for effect**

[​IMG]

14. conquistador#11

^ cold blooded. =)

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lawson said 0-7 night not due to homecoming. &quot;I just couldn't get a rhythm. In the 2nd half I got the shot I wanted. Didn't come off right.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/665413237953994753">November 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Lawson is not the perfect fit with Harden, but he still could be a solid fit. There is no reason that Harden/Lawson couldn't forge a duo similar to Parker/Ginobili. That's tailor made for today's game.

At the trade deadline last year I wanted the Rockets to get PG/SG Brandon Knight. And in the offseason I was hoping the Rockets could try to trade for CJ McCollum. Those guys are scoring PGs that can play OFF THE BALL and thus would florish with Harden. Mo Williams is also looking good in Cleveland.

Lawson can turn things around. But his confidence is shot right now. WAY TO HESITANT to shoot. When Harden is out, he needs to dominate. LOOK TO SCORE. Not just assist. Right now with Lawson being passive it is killing his entire game.

I know Bev is hurt right now, but when he gets back, you might want to start Bev for the sole reason just to have Lawson come off the bench FIRING AWAY and not playing PASSIVE to start the game. This is similar to how the Rockets got JOSH SMITH going last year when they moved him to the bench.

McHale and the coaching staff has to figure this out.

17. RESINator

RESINator Member

He is playing like a mental midget and Bev is not stepping up. We need a someone less ball dominant to play next to Harden dare say like Mario Chalmers.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lawson needs the ball to be effective and he is not getting it in Houston - it is hard to learn to play off the ball.

But Chemistry or fit is not something this team has ever seemed to put much thought into.

DD

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"I just don't understand acquiring Ty Lawson and then telling him to stand in the corner while Harden dribbles like Ty was Pat Beverley."

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We saw it in the playoffs. James Harden can NOT carry a team to a championship handling the ball as much as he does. It is James that needs to get off the ball, ala Stephen Curry.

13 turnovers...