1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What a day Saturday was. Beautiful weather, beautiful tailgating, beautiful special teams play...

Got there at 11 and crashed 4 different tailgates (2 SHSU, 2 sfa). Got to see a lot of old friends from both schools. Truly had a blast from start to finish.

Another attendance record broken, even with sfa winless. Can you imagine what NRG would be like if both programs were actually ranked? The sfa fans I hung out with were just resigned to the fact that they were going to lose again. I actually felt kind of bad for them. We really need sfa to stop sucking.

Man, I wish all the games were like this. Can't Sam Houston just play all their home games at NRG?

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll second that drummer. I had a great time tailgating and watching the game. I know it's not the same atmosphere at Bowers, but being at this game reminded me that i need to do a better job of getting up to campus to see games.

As far as the actual game goes, special teams play really bailed the team out after what was largely a listless performance, particularly in the first half.

The defense, frankly, just isn't very good at this point, and in this game, the run defense was nothing short of porous. Loren Easly, SFA's freshman running back (who I don't look forward to SHSU having to face off with again for the next three seasons) ran for more than 200, at more than ten yards per rush. Admittedly, that average is skewed by an 80-yard TD run, but that's no consolation because it means the Bearkats gave up an 80-yard TD run. SFA's quarterback Zach Conque ran for 100 at more than six yards per rush.

Rushing numbers like that might be more understandable if Conque had proven to be a formidable passer who forces the defense to respect the pass, but he's not that and he certainly wasn't that in this game. He was 8-for-21 for 125 yards, and their entire passing offense seemed predicated on lobbing jump balls to the sidelines.

The offense started slow, with just three points in the first half, but they did move the ball quite a bit better in the second half. I'm still not a huge fan of rotating Briscoe and Johnson so heavily, but the team has been putting up points, so it's tough to argue with, I suppose.

I'm holding out hope that this can still be a team that makes a deep playoff run, but unless the defense gets far better really quickly, that seems increasingly unlikely.

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

They had a good win against UIW.

McNeese beat SELA, so if the Kats can keep up their momentum, it will set up a big game against McNeese on 11/7. This week they play ACU, then Nicholls, and then Texas A&M Commerce (DII). All very winnable. Only ACU on the road.

If they can get on a roll, build some confidence and keep the defense playing correctly, they have a chance to take the conference lead by beating McNeese. Then we'd have to play UCA on their birthday cake field to take the conference.

4. ima_drummer2k

I think it's safe to say there is no more QB debate in Huntsville. JJ should be the man from here on out.

We're on a nice roll now. Aside from the 1st half against Lamar, this season has been as good as we thought it would be all summer.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yep.

11/7 @ McNeese should decide the conference. Winner likely gets a national seed and the loser will have to win out to have a chance as an at-large.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Totally agree on the QB situation. I've never been a huge fan of flip-flopping quarterbacks throughout the game (not just in this scenario, but in general). Of note, JJ's five TD passes in the game tied an SHSU record held by four other quarterbacks who serve as something of a who's who of Bearkat quarterbacks over the last 15 years: Chris Chaloupka, Josh McCown, Dustin Long, and Rhett Bomar.

The defense also seemed to have shored itself up a little bit. Last week, it was a 49-7 game until ACU scored two garbage-time touchdowns.

SFA and Northwestern State did us a little favor in beating SELa. and Lamar, respectively, last weekend, dropping them behind us in the SLC standings. Now, it's all in front of the team. Win out and you win the conference.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Agree with what's said above. Also, I think McNeese is winnable with the way the offense is rolling. I'd love to make a road trip out there, but I am not sure about taking my 1 year old.

It also seems clear that Corey Avery is the lead RB now.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Avery has been a revelation to this point, to be sure. One thing I like about Keeler's approach (an approach that Fritz used as well) is that there always seems to be a stable of three of four ball carriers that you can trust to make positive contributions. Flexibility like that is huge as the season wears on and everyone is a little banged up.

For example, in the game last weekend against ACU, the team rushed for 261 total yards, but no one player had more than 98 individually.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

10. ima_drummer2k

11. leroy

Expected outcome. Only disappointed that they gave up the long (80 yd run) td to blow the shutout. Overstreet with a great game going for 200 yds.

McNeese beat NW to remain undefeated. Central Ark is right there with us, too. McNeese has ACU, us, & Lamar to finish. We will have to beat them as they're unlikely to lose to either of the other 2. Hopefully SELa can bean CA next week to knock them back.

12. ima_drummer2k

NDSU and Jacksonville State both lost their QB's for the year. The playoffs should be wide open if we can just get there.

Dream scenario: we somehow get a playoff game at home against NDSU and FINALLY exact some revenge for the torment they've put us through in 3 of the last 4 years.

13. leroy

Add to that...get that home game against NDSU with a freak heatwave. 95 degrees in mid-Dec and watch all of the NDSU players pass out.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Aren't many of the NDSU players from Texas? I remember announcers saying that few years ago when we played them.

15. leroy

Only 1. A few from Florida and a couple from AZ.

NDSU 2015 roster

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

In that case, yes. We need to make it one of those bizarre 2:00pm games in Huntsville that makes everyone in attendance ask, "WHY?!?! DEAR GOD WHY!"

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Playing TAMU-Commerce this weekend. Should be a win for us, but they're first in their conference and have won 6 in a row. So I hope we don't take them too lightly.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Agreed. Here's hoping that it doesn't become CSU-Pueblo Part II.

19. leroy

Started off well but TAMU-C made it a game. They're a good team for Div II. It appears after going up 21-3 early in the 2nd, we took our foot off the pedal and they ended up tied at 24-24 in the 3rd. Still won by 2 tds on the backs of JJ and Corey Avery who had a good game (24 rushes for 125 yds and 3 tds).

SLC Game of the Year this week. SHSU @ McNeese. This determines the conference.