1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

This should be a breakout season for DMO.

His game will be elevated if he can stay healthy.

He will be huge with Lawson.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if he's been running on a treadmill for over a week, it's not really a leap to suggest that he might be running elsewhere as well.

3. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

If he can be Pau Gasol lite this team would be extremely dangerous

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

.... Jones has played 1 preseason game so far this season, and Motiejunas hasn't even played. Jones's 13/14 season was just as good as Motie's 14/15 season, Jones was injured 2 thirds of last season. Motiejunas has yet to really play in the playoff.

I'm not saying Jones is better, but i'm saying lets get through 20-30 games this season, and if both are healthy, then we can try to make conclusions.

1 person likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are folks around here that are stuck in a hole with their prophecies that speak as though its a fact of when he's coming back and when he's not coming back.

The truth, coming from someone who has had to rehab from multiple injuries(mostly basketball and soccer related) is that there is usually no way to know for sure this far out.

If D-Mo started running on a treadmill about a weak ago, the thing that will happen next is with post workout treatment, see how his body reacts, and gradually increase more and more.

If D-Mo has a setback, we probably won't hear about it unless its deemed relevant to us as fans... which means we probably won't hear unless its a serious setback.

With no setbacks.... maybe he could start doing half court stuff in a week or two, and maybe start 5 on 5 practices a couple weeks after, and then be confident in his game enough a week or so after that.

So basically anyone that is saying with confidence that he will be back by X date, really has no idea what they are talking about and has probably never gone through serious rehab before. I would tell Rockets fans to keep an eye out for video and reports that show progress but note that progress means its just another step. He can't skip steps and just throw himself back out there into grueling 5 on 5 play at NBA speed. That's a recipe for reinjury, or at the very least terrible basketball.

I personally am thinking, without major setback, a Thanksgiving to Christmas Day return sounds about right with plenty of time to gradually progress. If he makes it back in just two weeks from today that will be pretty amazing, and speak wonders of D-Mo's natural health, the Rockets training staff, and his work ethic.

1 person likes this.
  6. nobie

nobie Member

He could be back in a month, considering hes already shooting thousands of shots and doing postups training (thing he posted on twitter), he was also cleared for full speed running. So next step for him is team practice. When he can do that, he is pretty much ready for playing.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This was my thinking as well. And agreed we have some type of fans around here. LOL hey you gotta love them dobro.

I am glad the big fella is hitting the treadmill and working on his offensive game.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm hoping he doesn't return for a while. If he waits now it seems like it could add a lot of security. We need him for the playoffs, not the first 40 games.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I want him back ASAP, but not at the risk of bringing him back to fast and injuring something else. He hasn't played full court basketball in half a year since his back surgery so he may be brought back slowly once he's allowed full contact. I agree with Dobro in that maybe he returns around Thanksgiving or so but I hope it's earlier.

10. elainas

elainas Member

reasons why DMo wont play 30+ min before AS
    1) DM trades migth be later than last year(december) so dmo must be undervalued
    2) at the end of the day we still have good rotation with bigs or small lineup
    3) full recovery, if there wont be reasons above DMo probably allready be on the floor

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ah ok. Maybe they are trying to simulate a full game of shooting. Getting used to shooting while tired.

12. dmoneybangbang

It's about consistency. No one will argue who has more potential, but it's about results.

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

:grin:

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, it really is funny how shockingly unaware he seems to be.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he was running on zero-gravity for months before they graduated him to the treadmill.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i saw the contact video with the workout balls, but haven't seen any indication of running/sprinting downcourt yet

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You guys are hilarious. Gotcha right...

Yes I'm very aware. I'm very aware that I have no idea how his body is going to react to increased workload unlike you do as DMo's personal best friend and physician.

I'm optimistic based on his tweets and would love for you to be right this time (which would be damn near impossible for u or Hollic to ever admit that they want someone else to be right). My only point was that based on what I've experience from my rehab, you have to take it step by step and gradually work up to NBA level intensity. If he's not back by Thanksgiving(which folks here would freak out about if they bought your BS) I won't be shocked. I could give a s$&@ about whose right or whose wrong.

DMo is probably my fav player on the Rockets FYI and i hope the Rockets match any offer this summer to keep him. You really think you have me figured out I guess. You don't know s$&@ (kind of the theme around here when it relates to you).

1 person likes this.
  18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

tried finding a link w/o success but pretty sure the Chron reported he was cleared for sprint drills.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Don't let them annoy you dobro. I fully agree with you on that back injuries/surgeries unlike a broken leg is something that is FAR more serious and needs a lot of time and attention and to bring back slowly and gradually.

Does it matter to some of the fans here ,that the Rockets win some more early RS matches OR that DMO is fully healthy 110% by christmas and ready to go in the pos? He may be someone we will invest a lot of $ in the summer, a long time investment and his health is of the outmost importance.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ok that's great, thx