1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So...does Rasmus return next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i dont know if this is a chris carter like fluke run he's having or if its real, but its insane. I say pay the man

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

This year's 2004 Beltran.

3. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

4. Nero

Nero Member

Yes.

Or there shall be riots.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Conger with the zombie robot is one of the highlights of this season. That's worth at least 2 million.

You'd have to be careful to not pay Rasmus based on just this phenomenal postseason unless he wins us a World Series and of course. If you upgrade at first and third you could do just fine with Rasmus in left.

6. ThaShark316_28

Well, first is getting an auto-upgrade. Reed's going to raaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

yeah lets not overpay on colby based on the post season and be stuck with a stupid contract. we have tons of talent in the minors for outfield depth.

8. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Not really, name one guy who is in the minors that is a viable option to start in the OF next year. They are all in the lower levels of the minors (and don't say Kemp). Marisnick I like as a 4th outfielder and Tucker isn't good enough in the field.

If we're not going to re-sign Rasmus then we need to acquire someone else who is as good or better.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

obviously i didnt mean next year but lets be real, we need to sign a upton or a established OF. lets not get ahead of ourselves and throw stupid money at colby

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don't think we will have to throw stupid money at him

He has never fit in anywhere, but now he does. We can't totally low ball him, but I see a prime candidate for a bit of a hometown discount

And I can't see is spending big in a FA outfielder. We added Gomez for next year already. With him, springer healthy and Correa all year, that's a nice upgrade from this year overall

11. astros123

astros123 Member

Yeah he fits now cuz hes having a good stream, this guy was a .240 hitter all season long, lets not forget all the times he striked out with runners on base.

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I sure hope he returns but it really depends on what kind of years/numbers he's looking at. He did an interview in March where he said he only intends to play for three more years. Now I don't know how this season changed his perspective but if he'd sign for 3 years in the $40-45 million range I don't think you'd find a better cheaper option.

If he starts making waves about 4-5 years for $16-18m per season then you offer him the QO and say 3 years/$40m is on the table indefinitely but don't let the door hit you on the way out.

13. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

LF - Rasmus
    CF - Gomez/marisnick
    RF - springer

Is a friggen outstanding defensive outfield. I say keep him as long as he doesn't command stupid money for a handful of great playoff performances.

Tucker needs to learn first base to give him more positional flexibility.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

rasmus said last offseason that he only wanted to play (3) more years after this year. His rationale was that he's made enough $ and wants to work with cattle. The humor in this situation is that both Rasmus and Luhnow inked a 1-year deal solely to re establish market value/ get a good short term deal, with no inclination on either side to stay. But in coming here, Colby might've found the home he's saught all along.

Colby doesn't seem like a greedy guy given his comments last offseason. I think he genuinely loves this clubhouse and his role, and could see him striking a homecount deal of sorts. Maybe he leaves 3/45 on the table and accepts around 3/35.

I also think Colby might actually enjoy not being an everyday OFer. Playing 137 games is s pseudo bench-starter role. As he gets older, maybe he'd like that type of role to share with our young gun OFers.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I think he will be overpaid with this show he's putting on, and that is deserving, so it's really just a question of can you find 25 home runs and 70 rbi for less money. I don't know the answer. He brings some defense. He's ok, but not even an all star. If we can find an equivalent for less money, or a better option for more money, then do it. I don't consider him vital to our success, but if we cannot replace him, sign him and eat a little cost as again, I think he's earned that right. We can't afford to downgrade though. We need all the runs we can get.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The thing I don't think people are taking into account with Rasmus, is that somebody almost always get's hurt. While Gomez and Springer are likely to play everyday, they are probably gonna miss some time, hopefully not much, but some. Also aside from Marisnick, we have no MLB quality OF's in the system.

Rasmus won't get over 15 million. if he does you let him walk. But 10-12 million for a good defensive OF, who can get you an OPS in the high 700's really solidifies the team. We should still have plenty of money to upgrade the pen or go after a DH/1B if this team is serious about wanting to increase payroll.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Over the last 3 years, Rasmus has and average WAR per 162 of 3.8, Upton has a WAR per 162 of 3.7.

The two of them are very similar players. Upton is better, but it's not by a lot. Despite that, Upton is gonna demand a 150 million dollar contract. While Rasmus can likely be had for less than 50 million.

18. The Beard

Has nothing to do with how he fits in the clubhouse

Even when he wasn't playing a lot you could tell he was finally enjoying playing

And the fact that he wasn't "great" will keep this run from bringing him a crazy contract

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That and the fact that he'd essentially be a platoon player.

When Gomez is healthy, odds are that Rasmus is on the bench against most lefties.

20. The Beard

Yea I completely agree

My take on it is this: We aren't going to go out and spend big on a FA - OF this offseason, we basically already did that with the Gomez trade. If Rasmus is sticking with the 3 year thing, and just wants to take the most money he can get, he will very likely be gone. But if he is saying "for the first time in my life, i'm really enjoying playing" then he might be willing to sign a 3 year deal in the 30 Million range, and we would likely lock him up in that range. It's probably gonna come down more to what Rasmus wants, than what we will be willing to give, Luhnow doesn't strike me as the guy who will give out a stupid contract because of a few good weeks