1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Royals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 7, 2015.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

thats so gay how they changed the timing on monday like that. I had tickets but now they magically changed the time and Ive gotta work. ***. time to call in

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Maybe a Rangers sweep changes the time again.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

thats so stupid. how do they expect people to just randomly call in last second again and off

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what were the right moves, genius? Which ones were perfect and would have resulted in a win? Why didn't Hinch read your book about what the outcomes were going to be?

Better yet, why aren't you selling that book? Run! Go do it! Millions to be made.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

from my understanding, we are locked in at noon regardless.

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

User Actions
    Follow

Brian McTaggart ⚾️Verified account
    ‏@brianmctaggart
    The Astros blew a 3-run lead today, but a split here in KC is key. I think they win both games in Houston & head to Arlington.

7. Major

Major Member

They've done something like 1500 shifts this season. 3 is a worthless and stupid sample size. Keuchel on the shift:

“I wasn’t really opposed to it, just because I knew I induce a lot of groundballs,” Keuchel said of his team’s tendency to shift. “And they said they had a five-year record of people to shift against, and stuff like that. Those guys are smart. They know what they’re doing. It’s not my job to second guess what they’re doing.

“Now, I love it. I really do. People say you can always pick out the bad shifts, where balls go through, but there were probably 100 times where the shift helped me out, where I miscalculated the ball as it went right up the middle, and there’s (second baseman Jose) Altuve standing right behind second base. So I’m a big fan of it.”

You're the guy he's talking about.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I am a proponent of the shift when the pitcher uses all sides of the plate to work. With Neshek, however, he pretty much only uses the outside edges so leaving the 3-4 gap wide open is just plain dumb (against RHHs).

It is not intelligent strategy to pitch away from the shift consistently... MLB hitters are too good at poking the ball the other way, especially one of the best contact hitting teams of the last decade in Kansas City.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

As long as the numbers support the shift, I'm good. Problem is on TV u can't immediately determine if it's a hit or not. So that new graphic helps. But it totally changes the way u watch a game. The hits will seem amplified against the times when it works, but the numbers will never lie. So if it saves more hits and runs than it yields, trust in it.

10. Mattician

Mattician Member

Tough loss. Expected the Royals to win that one, though.

On to Houston!

11. TheresTheDagger

The Royals had 11 hits tonight. 9 of them went opposite field. But yeah, lets ignore situational managing and just go with the usual because "statistics".

p.s. Royals 5 Astros 4

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You must be new to the Astros if you think they are gonna ignore "statistics". Best to stop watching right now, because you aren't gonna like this organization.

In fact judging by you little PS, it would be nice if you stopped posting in this forum altogether.

13. TheresTheDagger

There's a difference between using statistics and using them at the right time. That's called MANAGING. Hinch has done a fantastic job most of the time this season. He failed today. That's indisputable.

BTW, who the **** are you to tell others to post or not post? Did someone make you the thread police? Should we make Clutch aware?

Check yourself.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hinch doesn't make these calls. He's given this info and is expected to implement it. One bad inning isn't gonna change what they have been doing all year. So no it most certainly isn't indisputable.

And that last little part of your post made you come across as a major D-bag. Woo Hoo the Astros lost a game, therefore what they have been doing all year is wrong.

15. conquistador#11

too much blame on the shift. the shift giveth, the shift taketh. I thought we all knew this and were ok with it. We've gotten saved by the shift more times than not.

Now what I don't understand is the strength of an arm? were the other arms too tired to go. I think you shouldn't pitch to the heart of the order with just anyone. hopefully, perez's arm is too tired to pitch sunday or monday.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Those who have been around a whole understand the shift

It's the newbies who haven't been watching until recently who don't get it

17. Major

Major Member

By "right time", of course, being "whenever it works" in your mind. Simplistic after-the-fact BS. You're just demonstrating a total lack of understanding of the game.

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I don't have a problem with shifts in general. I understand that the only times people will discuss them is when they don't work. However, you HAVE to pitch to your shift. If you're loading up on the left side, don't try to paint the outside corner. That's my only problem with our use of the shift. One of the pitches was a hanging breaking ball, but I think that was off Harris later in the game once it was already tied. The would-have-been double play ball in I believe the 6th was just straight up not pitching to the shift.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Hinche blew this game by pulling kazmir. Perez sucks

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

And if Hinch kept Kaz in and he gave up the lead then Hinch would have blown it that way.