1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Just watched the Clippers comeback again

We have a PF problem. We had the solution.
    Not concentrating on retaining Smith and signing KJ was a mistake.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Our best PF wasn't even playing that series, lol. Are you trolling?

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes the solution to a "pf problem" is someone who has to play for minimum

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

I'm all for trashing the Clippers, but you will (most likely) never hear a bad word from me about Smith, who gave us one of the greatest moments in Rockets history. Keep things in perspective here. Always JSmoove to me, like how Artest is Ron-Ron.

1 person likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Also Josh Smith has said nothing but glowing things about the Rockets franchise, the players and the fans.

Chandler Parsons played for the Rockets longer, was payed more, and arguably loved more than Josh Smith and has shat on the city of Houston and the Rockets the moment he left.

This is definitely not a discussion about Smith's character, it's about his game, if it hurts the Rockets, and how he impacts the Clippers going forward.

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The solution is to have a three PF rotation of Dmo Jones and Smith. We knew Dmo was coming off an injury and Jones takes a lot of beatings out there.
    You can say what you want but the fact is we were pretty good last year, near the top.
    And we could have brought the exact same team back (minus Prigs) and added Bev Lawson and Dmo to the playoff rotation at the cost of nothing (re-signing KJ and maybe losing out on our second round pick.)

That is foolish. Period.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The ones who think we don't have a PF problem are the trolls.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Josh smith does not fit with ty Lawson. Period

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I don't really blame smith for leaving, Morey kind of disrespected him. He pretty much was the one who brought us back 3-1 against the clips and then told he's not even secured a solid rotation spot. That's kinda ****ed up lol

I loved when smith was hot and making solid plays like the lobs against the mavs. He does however turn the ball over a lot.

Oh well. We pretty much picked up players with all his strengths but none of his head scratching weaknesses

11. Handles

Handles Member

Repped, same boat here. I had some of the most fun I've ever had as a rockets fan watching smoove ball out once we were down in that clips series (Brewer too).

I'm not as high on the clips as everyone seems to be. No doubt they are one of the top teams but I just think we are better no question. I don't think josh/pierce/lance moves the needle for them and I really hope we crap on the clips this year so I can prove myself right.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed.

I think we are better off without him this season, but I will always appreciate him for that moment.

13. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

LANCE STEPHENSON LOL

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Josh Smith did not want to return.

15. valorita

valorita Member

Josh smith was great in his role last year but his variance was too much. Boom or bust. Don't have to risk that this year. The team we start out with is not necessarily the team we finish with. I am almost certain that they will aquire a veteran pf before playoffs start. Don't be so short sighted.

16. bmd

bmd Member

They probably just told him that they can't promise him anything and he'd have to earn his minutes because they have 2 up-and-coming PF's in D-Mo and Jones. Rockets want to play the guys who will most help them win... no matter who that is.

He probably didn't want to be worrying about players possibly taking his minutes. Clippers guaranteed he was their first big off the bench. So he went with them.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Exactly but still if I was in his shoes I know I would of been like wtf, but I also thought before our new roster we would have brewer back up harden and smith for ariza for his passing ability to have another distributor towards the wings and not the paint.

I for one love mchales coaching style of the better player gets minutes. His "if your slacking then get the **** off the court" I think helps drive players like McDaniel(already said he plans to prove to mchale),Harrell, Capella, and so on. What other nba coach would have the balls to sit their mvp star player an entire playoff 4th quarter cause he was sucking? You think blatt would dare or have the power to sit lebron? No, lebron disrespects blatt so much

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Wasn't Smith a big reason we were in the hole in the first place?

19. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Nice spin. Morey isn't in control over rotation, Morey has been consistent on this publically. Smith choose to have a spot given to him over competing every night against Dmo and Jones for the minutes.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I seriously doubt those were his feelings from the beginning.

All I'm saying is without Smith, we have a rotation of Dmo and Jones at PF. Dmo is coming off an injury and has not been truly playoff tested. Jones has his shortcomings and takes beatings, and is most definitely not enough to match up against the Blake's and Randolph's and Aldridges of the West.

Having Smith would have given us another weapon to throw at opponents and their PFs. Not only the Clips comeback, but do you guys forget about the 4th quarter against Dallas where he completely dismantled their defense with Dwight. And we could have had this but instead paid more attention to keeping KJ. This was a mistake. Period.