1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oregon Community College Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 1, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

2. hlcc

hlcc Member

Actually I don't think Chicago is even the 6th highest in murder rate, I think it's just the 6th highest out of the list of cities chosen in that article.

According to the article below, in 2012 Chicago was ranked 21st and considering Chicago's murder rate declined since 2012 and several other cities had some major increases in murder rates recently it's probably not even the 21st highest now.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ings-chicago-nowhere-near-u-s-murder-capital/

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ings-chicago-nowhere-near-u-s-murder-capital/

It's the 21st in 2012, and lower today since Chicago's murder rate have been declining in the last couple of years but unfortunately some other cities have experienced major increases in murder rates. It's not a simple case of stricter gun controls = higher crime rates & higher murder rates, there are plenty of much more gun friendly cities with worse crime & murder rates than Chicago (Indianapolis, Birmingham, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Memphis, St Louis, Jacksonville, New Orleans etc,, Houston might even catch up to Chicago's murder rate this year) and also plenty of cases of cities with just as strict gun control laws with much better crime & murder rates than Chicago (NYC, LA, San Francisco etc)

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Not sure where you are going with this...

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What do you mean? Handguns are used in the vast majority of gun deaths.

Sure it will never happen but if we were serious about minimizing gun deaths then we would eliminate handguns.

5. giddyup

Fine, if that is how you feel. I could not figure out why you quoted my response in that retort...

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Because that's what the data in your link showed.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what's the gun show loophole you mention?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very solid. We also want to get rid of hate speech, so we're going to outlaw speaking.

Also, we don't want people killing in the name of religion, so we're going to get rid of religion.

I mean, if we're serious about those goals, that's what must happen.

9. giddyup

Laws don't prevent crime. Laws actually predict crime and outline consequences of that criminal behavior.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep handguns are the main gun culprit when it comes to firearms that are used in killing folks.

But something can be done. I would re-recommend the safe handling instruction course that I stated earlier, and just add that adding a mental health component to the background checks would be good as well.

Both of those things can be done, and don't involve removing guns from law abiding citizens that have them, and won't prevent people from buying and owning them in the future that want them.

It certainly erase any threat of gun violence, but I honestly believe it can help.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If your point is about concealed weapons, it seems odd to mention automatic rifles. I think you thought automatic rifles were a bigger problem than they really are, and when it was pointed out that such an idea was nonsense, you changed to concealed weapons (as though you are for open carry).
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/195327/murder-in-the-us-by-relationship-of-victim-to-offender/ Looks like the top three categories are unknown, acquaintance, and stranger. Now, this is all murders, not just gun murders, and I don't know how that might skew things.
    I know, right?
    Mexico has three times the gun homicide rate that the US has, and a slightly higher overall firearm death rate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate (wikipedia info sourced by gunpolicy.org relying on data from the University of Sydney).
    But, the post I replied to said that a national ban was sufficient. You might also want to check Canada, which also borders a country with gun laws very similar to the country bordering Mexico.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You can try to deflect, but the numbers speak for themselves.

It is a small device that can be hidden easily and can be used to kill very quickly and effectively. A rifle or shotgun can't be wielded in the same fashion as a handgun. We have many regulations on devices much less dangerous than handguns.

#353 robbie380, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The numbers do speak for themselves. We wouldn't have hate speech if we banned all speech, we wouldn't have religious zealotry if we banned all religion. I'm on board with your logic.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My point is that there are certain weapons a person does not need to have to satisfy the "right to bear arms". Having a rifle or shotgun certainly fulfills a constitutional requirement. Having a concealed handgun or a automatic rifle is not necessary. Or any automatic handgun. For god's sake, you aren't even allowed to walk the streets of NYC with a knife or a Chinese star. This is the reason we invest so much into a police force, to make it unnecessary for the populace to play vigilante. If someone wants to have a shotgun in their home for protection great. I think it's a dumb thing to do though especially if they have children. Most of these weapons end up killing kids who get ahold of them.

That actually supports my case. The total of unknown is less than the combined total of known (all the bars below it). Unknown is less than 50% - which proves my point.

I pulled the wrong row - U.S. has 6 times as many guns per person. So yes Mexico has more gun murders...but I wonder how many of those are associated with the drug cartels.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Glad you agree. Moving on.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately though, your entire train of thought is a total and complete non-starter, so really you're just wasting your time going on about it. As I've suggested to others who have an irrational fear of guns, you'd likely be better served by finding another country to live in that better represents your values.

18. Buck Turgidson

As a multiple/many gun owner I'm totally on board, ban handguns.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It appears that you've given up trying to convince people that guns aren't a harm to society. Unfortunately your paranoia prevents you from seeing things clearly. The rest of America luckily isn't as paranoid as you, but a significant portion of them have been brainwashed by paranoid people like yourself. Hopefully over time those people will be enlightened.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is that I've never argued that guns can't hurt people. Any freedom can hurt society if abused, that's no reason not to have it. Allowing freedom of speech and freedom of the press is often very harmful to society when they use those freedoms inappropriately....doesn't mean we should get rid of those freedoms.

It's okay though, I understand that you aren't really big on civil liberties and you have an irrational fear of inanimate objects, and that's why I've suggested time and again that you find a country that shares your values and irrational fears.

There's about 12,000 deaths using guns counting homicide and accidents per year....truly frightening, but there are more than twice as many automotive deaths every year....why don't we push to ban cars? We could save about 33,000 people per year!