1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Dead in Oregon Community College Shooting...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 1, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you think anti gun people only say that during these mass shootings then you aren't paying attention. Just because the media only talks about it during those times doesn't mean people aren't campaigning for gun control still.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's not a gun free zone.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People have been killing themselves for the entire history of the USA. What has changed in the last 20 or so years to make so many people decide that taking as many people with you was possible is a good variation on old fashioned, time tested suicide.

IMO this gets lost in the fervent of the gun debate, which is of course relevant in its own right.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it was.
    [​IMG]

The security guard wasn't even armed.....which is what made it such an appealing target.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is a really good post. I think the "why" when it comes to people doing things like this is even more important than the "how".

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Because the "why" is any easier to address?

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You are a freaking joke. It's the school's fault that a crazy shooter with ample access to weapons decided to shoot a bunch of people?

You are a crazy person.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're right. I probably should have been more clear that it's not my solution, but what is the popular one, thus not mine.

I agree that the why is interesting from a historical perspective.

9. MystikArkitect

They're only terrorists when they're ethnic or Muslim. Otherwise mentally unstable/weren't hugged enough.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not easier, but it's more important. Find out why so many people have the desire to kill as many people as possible and maybe you can do something about it.

It's the school's fault for failing to protect the students. They were a completely defenseless target and someone took advantage of that. If there wasn't protection on your money in the bank and they left it defenseless, would you blame the bank for not protecting it?

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

thats impossible to determine. you don't think people have been looking into the mind on why people do such heinous things? like everybody says, these people are mentally ill. unless we can read minds or something because this can be unpredictable.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Government official: Man who opened fire at Oregon college was Chris Harper Mercer, 26.</p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/status/649767540852436996">October 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm not going to spend too much time arguing a useless analogy. But security would have done nothing to save the majority of the lives that were lost. I wouldn't blame the bank for not having a safe if the safe had no passcode and anyone could just open it. Any realistic level of security would be just as defenseless as a safe with no lock in it. Worthless.

You don't want to turn America into a police state do you? I realize that I am speaking to a complete nut however so that might actually be what you want.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You either leave targets like this defenseless and just accept that these things are going to happen every now and again or you try to do something about it and make the targets a little harder to hit. If you notice pretty much all of the mass shootings recently have been the softest of soft targets....there's a reason for that.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You start shoring up security until these people start using deadlier and deadlier weapons and eventually you will devote half of the countries education budget on security.

At that point you turn America into the worst country in the world although it's already on a good pace for that.

It's people like you who are willing to turn this country into a dangerous hell zone all to protect your precious guns.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, yeah, if we protect soft targets THAT'S what would turn things into a "dangerous hell zone"....SMH

Anyway, protecting soft targets is only half of the equation, like I said before, the "why" is more important than the "how", there is a mental health epidemic in this country and we simply have to do a better job of identifying those who need help and making sure they get it so as to eliminate them from being a threat to themselves and others.

You'll never get everyone before they act, but that's why you don't leave so many soft targets for them to hit.

17. malakas

malakas Member

So sad. May they rest in peace.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If the victims had been armed we'd be reading about a much different outcome.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes. Let's focus on the mentally ill.

Let's also focus on restricting guns.

20. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I dont understand why there has been very little mention (or none at all) of the fact that this guy lined up these young adults and asked if they were Christians. He shot them in the head if they said they were Christian or only wounded them in the leg if they werent.