1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Carmelo trade talks heat up that the Rockets and Lakers want in on the sweepstakes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Sep 21, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

some good achievements but in reference to the current melo which was being dicussed, he's no superstar

2. thekad

thekad Member

The hard cap prevents any trade for Melo that doesn't include two of Lawson, Ariza and Brewer. So, obviously, any talk would start with Lawson and Brewer, plus additional assets.

Very unlikely.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It depends.

When I say superstar, I refer to LeBron, KD, Anthony Davis, Curry, CP3 and Harden and that's about it

Not WB, not Kyrie, not Jimmy Butler, not Lillard, not Klay. If the latter group are called superstars, then Melo has every right to be called one

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Melo do not want.... all about himself plays no defense.... another ball stopper.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup pretty much agree. the later are all stars/stars

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

His stats on the Knicks are no different then with the Nuggets, he just has a absolutely awful supporting cast.

Besides the 2011-12 lockout season, and this last season, Melo has never played under 65 games in any other season in his career as well.

Can't really blame Anthony for the Knicks sucking so bad, I mean they where tanking this year. If we stuck Harden on the 76'ers, and they didn't make the playoffs would that mean that he isn't a superstar anymore?

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The first group is absolutely in a class of their own, but what do we call the second tier? Just all stars? That's kind of unfair because WB, Anthony, Irving etc are all perennial all stars, who can't be stuck in the same group as other all stars like DeRozan, Milsap, Hibbert or other players who only make 1 or 2 all star games in their whole careers.

IMO if your a perennial all star you should be consider a superstar, as for the top 5 players in the league I would call then MVP candidates.

8. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

WB is definitely in the Superstar tier.

1 person likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

27.3-7.1-6.9
    27.3-6.9-3.5
    19.7-9.5-2.2-2.5
    20.9-4.1-6.9
    18.7-4.4-9.9-1.9
    19.7-4.3-4.4

Yeah and this is totally different:

25.2-6.6-3.1

You guys both need to define superstar, because superstars can play on very bad teams and still be a superstar. Your definition seems to be winning while putting up these stats.

Carmelo has played for two teams that have TERRIBLE front offices: Denver and New York. What do you expect from the guy? He has put up more points per game than all but two of your examples.

I'm not trying to argue that we should do this trade, but Carmelo Anthony is a superstar. And if winning is your definition, you gotta remove Davis. He hasn't won ****.

Melo on a 50 win team, people will start talking about him again. I bet both of you would have voted for Curry for MVP.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

wrong. Ive had this discussion plenty of times before and the label of superstar is not thrown around often by me. Whether others wants to be more general and use it is fine but to me there's only a handful of true superstars in the league.

People can blame everything surrounding Melo all that want. The fact is he chose NY at the end of day. He knew what he was getting himself into from the beginning. So with all of those numbers do you consider Kevin Love a superstar too? He put up great numbers during his time in Minny. Or is it the same completely blame everything surrounding them defense.

11. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Westbrook doesnt make his teammates better

12. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

sure he's willing to be the 6th man off the bench...

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Harden said something a couple years ago like Carmelo would be a great addition to the team, but who takes the last shot? If I remember correctly

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

He should of went to Chicago smh

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if that trade makes us a better team. Melo is on the declining side of his career and his D is not great. He's not an efficient scorer either. I worry about his health.

Plus he's a ball stopper.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm horrible at this stuff, so I'll just ask ppl in the know - Is Carmelo clearly better than Lawson at this point? Why? 3rd in the league in assists is nothing to sneeze at.

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

It's our job at clutchfans to explore all options!

18. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

As long as he's willing to accept he's not the man I'm all for it depending what we give up, you only have to look at our inability to create shots when Harden isn't on the floor to see how much help Carmelo would be.

19. don grahamleone

I am completely unable to decipher a definition out of this garbage. It seems superstar for you is merely opinion. So, if you don't like someone, they simply can't be in the category for you. That leaves us with this, what value is your opinion? A name like YOLO is probably coming from someone age 15-19 because that has only recently been en vogue. This would mean, you would have a hard time remembering Carmelo with better players around him.

I promise you, he's got top notch stuff. He's been a winner before. He's been in the discussion for MVP. He's almost always in discussion for the scoring title. These are really great compliments. But they don't mean anything to you because why? If you can't bother to answer the question, don't bother replying. It's a waste of time not to bring an argument forward and "because I said so" isn't something that holds water.

'He's on the Knicks' is not an insult to his game.

In games he's started over the years, here's his win loss record:

13 - 39
    47 - 28
    44 - 36
    37 - 28
    47 - 30
    45 - 12
    45 - 24
    43 - 34
    29 - 26
    47 - 20
    35 - 42
    10 - 30

He's 442-349 (56%) for his career and all of those teams would have been worse off without him. I'm so sorry that he couldn't carry his team last year and his rookie year because that seems like the only real power in your argument.

Carmelo is a superstar. And he'd fit your definition if he was traded to a contender.

20. don grahamleone

I completely agree. I wouldn't want to trade for him. I like the team a lot.

Clearly better than Lawson, absolutely. Is he better than all the solid players we'd have to give up to get him, absolutely not.

Please, don't think I'm arguing for Anthony on this team. I think he's a bad fit and that Lawson is a great fit. My only argument is that Anthony is serious talent in this league and worth discussing if this stuff is true. He's an amazing basketball talent.