1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attendance

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Jul 29, 2015.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

22k fans with the team being in a tight playoff race. lol wht a joke

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Last week took the wind out of a lot of people's sails. Combine that with being a Texans gameday.

Organization still has to win people over, and as has been mentioned, corporations buying up season tickets before the year account for a huge portion of attendance. Expect a spike in that heading into next year.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where were you sitting today?

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Not good at all

5. Poloshirtbandit

Its gonna take another WS appearance for this city to pick baseball over a Texans game.

6. Bob Barker 007

You claim not to be a troll, but you keep agreeing with them or leading them on. Please learn to shut the **** up.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Ignore button, amigo

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If you were not in attendance yourself....RECENTLY, then you have no right to grip about attendance.

9. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

it will go way up when we play texas this weekened for the final series.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Season tickets tix are paid ahead of time.

11. conquistador#11

i'd rather have 300 astros fans in attendance, if it means the hoards of rangers fans won't show up.

I was listening to the baseball game on the radio while watching the texans. it sounded pretty load when rasmus hit that homer. props for those fans that were there for making all that noise.

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I stayed at the game after work. Didnt even sell that many tickets today like I normally do. Literally every section was available for today

13. awc713

awc713 Member

Houston just isn't a baseball town. It's okay to admit it. It doesn't make attendance 'pitiful' or diminish the experience for actual, die-hard fans. We don't have bandwagon fans like other cities. So what?

FWIW, Houston does put out when there's a good team. We consistently ranked top 10 in attendance in the early 2000's. Our 2015 ranking of 22nd is low, but that will invariably increase this offseason with season ticket sales. Our season ticket sales have been low recently for obvious reasons.

Attendance at Minute Maid says more about MLB, their product, and their inability to captivate younger markets like NFL and NBA. Attendance at most stadiums mimics Minute Maid. The only stadiums constantly packed with knowledgable, non-bandwagon fan is Fenway, maybe Busch and a couple others.

What's funnier is Dallas. They laud themselves as a baseball town. I went to Thursdays game, crowd was a meager 26K. Many of which were Astros fans. And their fans are laughably terrible.

14. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

There was an article (in the Chronicle?) a few weeks back that indicated the real attendance boost will be next year because there should be a huge uptick in season ticket holders the year following a successful year. Compared it to Kansas City's attendance last year and this year. Even though KC was doing good last year, they didn't see the attendance spike till this year.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As late as 2009, the Astros were still ranked 13th in attendance. Then 16th in 2010. We were mediocre for 5 seasons after the WS, yet still maintained respectable attendance. It took a substantial amount of mediocrity to chase the fans away.

This is a solid baseball town now. Not a great one, but better than average. If this team isn't near the top 10 in attendance next season I will be shocked. The Astros really took it on the chin last week, and it really dampened the enthusiasm for a lot of people, and the casuals weren't fully on board to begin with.

1 person likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Between the recent losing streak, the decade of mediocrity or worse, and the fact that it was a Sunday and they were playing roughly the same time as the Texans, I'm not surprised at the attendance. There is still some "wait and see" with the fans here and I can't blame them. I certainly hope and expect it to be different this weekend against the rangers. It's by far the biggest series we've had since 2008 (the infamous "home" series against the Cubs after Ike when we were still in the race for a Wild Card).

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Too lazy to look myself, but I wonder how attendance was yesterday for teams in NFL cities vs teams in non-NFL cities.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

Probably higher than you think because its only Week 2. Wait until week 11, 12 to see how those cities are doing.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wouldn't that be well after the baseball season is over?

1 person likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In 2004 and 2005, there were both stretch-drive regular season as well as playoff games that co-incided with NFL sundays.

They were all sellouts.

I know the NFL is powerful... but there's enough people in this city to sellout MMP when there's important games on the line, and they've proven it in the past.