PDA

View Full Version : Obscure 90's songs and one-hit wonders

Isabel
04-25-2005, 09:08 PM
The "Obscure 80's Hits" thread gave me the idea. Anyone else missing the 90's and some of the things you don't hear or hear about as much anymore?

(here are a few - forgive me if I don't get some of the names quite right)

The Soup Dragons - Divine Thing
White Town - Your Woman
Jann Arden - Insensitive
Folk Implosion - Natural One
Green Day - Longview (not that obscure but still represents its decade well)
Fastball - The Way
311 - All Mixed Up
Contraband - All the Way from Memphis
& Mark Cohn - Walking in Memphis (both of these songs in 1991 and I lived there at the time :) )
Joan Osborne - St. Teresa
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot
Poe - Angry Johnny
The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen

rockets-#1
04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Some of the biggest and best 90's one-hit wonders:

4 Non-blondes - What's Up?
Blind Melon - No Rain
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Chumbawumba - Tubthumping
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's
Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
Duncan Sheik - Barely Breathing
Eagle-Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
EMF - Unbelievable
Eve 6 - Inside Out
Haddaway - What Is Love?
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
Meredith Brooks - Bitch
Nada Surf - Popular
OMC - How Bizzare
The New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Shawn Mullins - Lullaby
Sir Mix-a-lot - Baby Got Back
Spin Doctors - Two Princes
Sugar Ray - Fly (not exactly a one-hit, but this is their best)
The Toadies - Possum Kingdom
Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway
Tonic - If You Could Only See (not so much a one-hit wonder 'cause they had "Open Up Your Eyes" and "You Wanted More" also)
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby (what 90's list would be complete without this, ha:))
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

There are plenty more one-hit wonders from the best decade there ever was to date (not musically, but overall:)), but I don't care for the rest of the songs as much.

I really hope you weren't trying so say Green Day was a one-hit wonder. I'm sure you weren't, but I have to stress to everyone what a great band they are.

Best Bands of the 90's: (In order from best to worst pretty much)
1. Stone Temple Pilots
2. Green Day
3. Alice In Chains
4. 311
5. Nirvana
6. Soundgarden
7. Rage Against the Machine
8. Pearl Jam

RIET
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Isabel
Jann Arden - Insensitive

That's a great song, especially in the movie Bed of Roses w/ Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson (understated hottie)

MR. MEOWGI
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
People say the '80s were bad?

rockets-#1
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by MR. MEOWGI
People say the '80s were bad?

Please!! The 90's DESTROYS the 80's. The 80's were the most worthless decade in terms of music.... And, just about everything now that I think about it.... haha I'm sorry, just my opinion.

Master Baiter
04-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rockets-#1
Please!! The 90's DESTROYS the 80's. The 80's were the most worthless decade in terms of music.... And, just about everything now that I think about it.... haha I'm sorry, just my opinion.
I agree

esse
04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Local H - Bound for the Floor

I loved that song!

Roxfan73
04-25-2005, 09:47 PM
also don't forget:

Teenage Fanclub - "What you do to me"
Semisonic - "Closing Time"
Harvey Danger - "Flagpole Sitta"
Dig - "Believe"
Shakespeare's Sister - "Stay"
Suede - "The Drowners"
Crash Test Dummies - "MM MMM MMM MMM MMM"
Urge Overkill - "Sister Havana"
Everlast - "What it's like"
Citizen King - "Better Days"
Brother Kane - "Lie in the bed I make"
Primal Scream - "Movin' on up"

Mr. Brightside
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Roxfan73
also don't forget:

Crash Test Dummies - "MM MMM MMM MMM MMM"

that was a great song!

Beck
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Luscious Jackson - Naked Eye

hooroo
04-26-2005, 12:55 AM
martika -love thy will be done
betty boo -doing the do
2unlimited -no limits
shampoo ="uh, oh, we're in trouble"
gillette -short dick man/mr. personality
and a song that went "baby live it up, live it up, nah-nah-nah now!"
or another that went "life is a highway, i want to ride it, all_ night_ long_!"

plcmts17
04-26-2005, 02:01 AM
Probably the best obscure hit of the 90's : Detachable Penis , now if I can only find out who did it. I remember it getting some play on 120 minutes.

Better than nothing - Jennifer Trynin
There she goes - The La's
Valerie loves me - ??
Here's where the story ends - The Sundays (I highly recommend their 1997 album Static and Silence)
Nobody loves me?? - Portishead
Seether - Veruca Salt
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley
Close to you - Maxi Priest

StupidMoniker
04-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home
Len - Steal My Sunshine
Placebo - Every You Every Me

Zac D
04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Sponge - "Plowed"

Zac D
04-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by plcmts17
Probably the best obscure hit of the 90's : Detachable Penis , now if I can only find out who did it. I remember it getting some play on 120 minutes.

King Missile.

They also have a lovely song called "The Miracle of Childbirth."

Red Chocolate
04-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by esse
Local H - Bound for the Floor

I loved that song!

Good call. I saw Local H w/ Stone Temple Pilots about 9 years ago and they rocked.

My choices:

Better Than Ezra- "Good"
Filter- "Hey Man Nice Shot"
Semisonic- "Singing In My Sleep"
Haddaway- "What is Love"
Candlebox- "Far Behind"
Stabbing Westward- "Shame"
Superdrag- "Sucked Out"

a-rock
04-26-2005, 08:03 AM
babylon zoo - spaceman

Oski2005
04-26-2005, 08:25 AM
I think these are good examples.

L7- Pretend We're Dead
Mazzy Star- Fade Into You
Veruca Salt- Seether
Matthew Sweet- Sick of Myself
Soul Coughing- Super Bon Bon

TheFreak
04-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Some of the biggest and best 90's one-hit wonders:

Eve 6 - Inside Out
Sir Mix-a-lot - Baby Got Back
Spin Doctors - Two Princes
The Toadies - Possum Kingdom

These aren't 1-hit wonders.

DanHiggsBeard
04-26-2005, 08:45 AM
One hit wonder has negative connotations, and a lot of those bands were around for years and years, and some are still around. They just happened to have a hot song, and hardly tried to be big

Bands like The Verve, Nada Surf, The Cardigans, Teenage Fanclub, Soul Coughing, etc had very large followings before any sort of hit status and were hardly part of the pre-manufactured radio hit parade.

Hell, The Cardigans, Nada Surf, and Teenage Fanclub are STILL together and making great music.

Also, what's obscure about a band or song the gets top 40 radio play?

Finally, the 80's music absolutely destroyed 90's music, but that's not to say the 90's didn't have it's share of great music. People like to pretend music doesn't exist outside the top 40, but underground music really thrived in the 80's. Punk became more mature and evolved into post-punk, and some of the best music ever made came about. Bands like Mission of Burma, Pixies, Husker Du, Wipers, etc etc etc I could go on forerver..they were all products of the 80's and huge influences on well known acts of the 90's.

A-Train
04-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by TheFreak

Yeah, the Spin Doctors had......TWO hits! :D

I remember the summer of 1998. I was working at a video store and the boss made us play 96.5. They played the same four songs over and over...

The Way - Fastball
One Week - Barenaked Ladies
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing - Aerosmith

...and they played a Matchbox 20 song every five minutes. My co-workers and I even had a running bet on how many Matchbox 20 songs we would hear during a shift...

When did "Butterfly" by Crazy Town come out? Gawd, that was easily one of the worst one-hit-wonders ever...

Manny Ramirez
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Now Isabel, you are forgetting Fastball's 2 other hits - "Fire Escape" and "Out of my Head".:p ;)

And Tom Cochrane sung "Life Is a Highway" (saw that rockets #1 mentioned it but someone else couldn't remember who sang it).

There are so many of these that I can't think of the best but will say these:

I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat
Justified and Ancient - The KLF with Tammy Wynette
Hold You Tight - Tara Kemp
Block Rockin' Beats - Chemical Brothers
Praise You - Fatboy Slim
Love Will Keep Us Alive - Eagles
Rhythm Is a Dancer - Snap
Mr. Vain - Culture Beat
The Power - Snap
Rub You the Right Way - Johnny Gill
Sensitivity - Ralph Tresvant
Another Night - Real McCoy
Still in Love With You - New Edition

There are like hundreds more here but these are the ones that come to mind first.

Oh and rockets #1, you just did NOT say that 311 was a better band than Nirvana, did you? Please tell me that was a misprint.

drapg
04-26-2005, 09:49 AM
My favorite all-time obscure / one-hit wonders 90s song has to be Another Night by Real McCoy.

No, I don't know why...

Supermac34
04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red Chocolate
[B]
Better Than Ezra- "Good"

Not obscure and not a one hit wonder.

Oski2005
04-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Friends of P- The Rentals

akperez
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Oski2005
I think these are good examples.

L7- Pretend We're Dead
Mazzy Star- Fade Into You
Veruca Salt- Seether
Matthew Sweet- Sick of Myself
Soul Coughing- Super Bon Bon

NICE!

akperez
04-26-2005, 12:14 PM

How old are you? You obviously weren't listening to the right music. Go back and look at the obscure 80's thread and if you don't know any of the songs I or droxford or Mr. Meowgi (and few others) posted then I'll understand why you made a statement like that.

DanHiggsBeard
04-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Mathhew Sweet doesn't belong on this list.

He's been cranking out great pop songs since the 80's (and is still doing it today), not to mention he also had a previous "hit" with "Girlfriend"--which incidentally was the bumper music on 610 for a long time.

Oski2005
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DanHiggsBeard
Mathhew Sweet doesn't belong on this list.

He's been cranking out great pop songs since the 80's (and is still doing it today), not to mention he also had a previous "hit" with "Girlfriend"--which incidentally was the bumper music on 610 for a long time.

I wasn't calling him a one hit wonder, just obscure to the general public.

mulletman
04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Los Del Rio - macarena (i hate that freakin song)

Isabel
04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
It doesn't have to be a one- or two-hit wonder. It can even be a song by a well-known band that you might not normally think of.

Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (one-hit wonder, still fairly well known though... well, whatever)
K's Choice - Not An Addict (and there was that other song about the white kite?)
Monster Magnet - Space Lord
Moloko - Fun For Me
KLF - 3 a.m. Eternal
Arrested Development - Tennessee
Morphine - Early to Bed
Live - Lakini's Juice
Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You
Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome
Roxette - Fading Like a Flower
Lorena McKennitt - The Mummers Dance
PM Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory Bliss
Lisa Loeb - Stay (I Missed You)
Meredith Brooks - Bitch
Reel Big Fish - Sell Out
Dionne Farris - I Know

Colt45
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Lush - Ladykiller
Sugar - Gift ("If I Can't Change Your Mind" off "Copper Blue" was the hit, but "Gift" off of FU:EL was WAY better)
Elastica - Stutter
Gin Blossoms - Hey, Jealousy
Velocity Girl - Audrey's Eyes
Dramarama - Work for Food
Juliana Hatfield - Universal Heartbeat

Lotta good music put out by the ladies in the '90's.

FranchiseBlade
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
I have to say that I disagree that the 90's were better than the 80's. The 90's had good stuff, but no real pioneers came out of hte 90's.

In the 80's we had the Pixies, and some groups from the 70's really found their stride as well. Devo, B52's(which went on to suck in the 90's). The Clash were still putting out great songs in the 80's. The Cure, and The Smiths were in their prime in the 80's. So was New Order. No group from the 90's can really compare to the Clash or the Pixies.

That is my opinion, of course. I'm sure plenty will disagree.

Manny Ramirez
04-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by FranchiseBlade
I have to say that I disagree that the 90's were better than the 80's. The 90's had good stuff, but no real pioneers came out of hte 90's.

In the 80's we had the Pixies, and some groups from the 70's really found their stride as well. Devo, B52's(which went on to suck in the 90's). The Clash were still putting out great songs in the 80's. The Cure, and The Smiths were in their prime in the 80's. So was New Order. No group from the 90's can really compare to the Clash or the Pixies.

That is my opinion, of course. I'm sure plenty will disagree.

Agree completely, FB. You had grunge (which was more early '90s) but it pretty much died with the death of Kurt Cobain. Just seemed like there was too much derivative and unoriginal stuff going on in the '90s. Besides the '80s never had such an unbelievably craptacular song like "The Macarena" shudders

rockets-#1
04-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by TheFreak

Yeah, I like a few more songs by the Spin Doctors (A-Train hit the nail on the head with the 2 hits comment :D) and Eve 6 respectively. Isabel did say later that they didn't have to be one-hit wonder, so that applies, and I was just naming some of the bigger songs. Sir Mix-a-lot is the definition of a one-hit wonder! I never went and looked to see if he had anything else worth listening to, but that's because Baby Got Back is like a big joke practically - I have that song not because it's great musically but 'cause it's funny. I didn't mean to say The Toadies were a one-hit wonder, my bad, their whole "Rubberneck" CD is solid.

Originally posted by Manny Ramirez
Oh and rockets #1, you just did NOT say that 311 was a better band than Nirvana, did you? Please tell me that was a misprint.

Man, 311 never gets any support around here; I'll always be the one guy defending them. Okay, I know that Nirvana is technically better than 311. I tend to list 311 ahead of Nirvana sometimes (based on how I'm feeling) because the amount of material. I have around 110 songs by 311 and only around 40 by Nirvana. Kurt went way too soon.:(:(

Originally posted by akperez
How old are you? You obviously weren't listening to the right music. Go back and look at the obscure 80's thread and if you don't know any of the songs I or droxford or Mr. Meowgi (and few others) posted then I'll understand why you made a statement like that.

Yes, to tell the truth I don't know much of the '80s. I was only around for half the decade.:) The stuff I know from the decade is the biggest hits and songs from some of my favorite bands that were still going (AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.). So, really I'm not qualified to make such a statement, I was just trying to stir up a little good natured controvery.:) I might very well find that the '80s had plenty of great music I have yet to discover as you say, but the '90s brought me Grunge (the best music there is to me, after rap, of course), so I'll always hold the '90s in the highest regard for myself personally (that is, after the greatest of them all, Led Zeppelin).

Phillyrocket
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Billie Myers - "Kiss the Rain"

BTW the 80's was by the far the crappiest decade for "pop" music ever. Country music in the 80's IMO was far superior to country music in the 90's. I'll probably change my mind to this decade being the crappiest one once it's all said and done however.

cagey veteran
04-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Mmmm-bop....

DanHiggsBeard
04-26-2005, 03:20 PM
The 80's brought you grunge.

Manny Ramirez
04-26-2005, 03:51 PM
The 80's brought you grunge.

Maybe but grunge was one of those that straddled 2 different decades - it definitely reached its zenith in '91 with "Nevermind" and "Ten". And I may get blasted for this, but I think "Superunknown" by Soundgarden was the best grunge album of them all but it wasn't all grunge as there were some other styles on that one and that album came out in '94.

rockets #1 - if you don't know much about the '80s and about a slew of different artists (both solo and bands from the tourney threads), how in the world did you get into Led Zeppelin? I would figure that getting into them would make you curious to learn more about the other classic rock bands of that period like Pink Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones, etc. It is almost like you listen to classic rock just FOR Zeppelin and if anything else comes on, you turn the station, lol.;)

DanHiggsBeard
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I'd say grunge reached it's peak in 1988 when the "Touch Me, I'm Sick" b/w "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More" 7" came out.

rockets-#1
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Maybe but grunge was one of those that straddled 2 different decades - it definitely reached its zenith in '91 with "Nevermind" and "Ten". And I may get blasted for this, but I think "Superunknown" by Soundgarden was the best grunge album of them all but it wasn't all grunge as there were some other styles on that one and that album came out in '94.

rockets #1 - if you don't know much about the '80s and about a slew of different artists (both solo and bands from the tourney threads), how in the world did you get into Led Zeppelin? I would figure that getting into them would make you curious to learn more about the other classic rock bands of that period like Pink Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones, etc. It is almost like you listen to classic rock just FOR Zeppelin and if anything else comes on, you turn the station, lol.;)

Superunknown was a great Grunge album, probably a top 5 for me, but I gotta say the best Grunge album is "Core" by Stone Temple Pilots. That one is just so amazingly good to me. "Nevermind" is close to it.

Ha,:D I figured you'd ask that question to me about Zep sooner or later, Manny. My dad has always had Led's "II" and "IV" in his car (he never listens to it, that I know of), but one time he played Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid for me when I was little and I was hooked ever since. I'd crank up the volume, bang my head, and just take in the timeless sounds of those songs and Whole Lotta Love. This was when I was 7 or 8! I'm a big believer of what you're experienced to when your a kid greatly affects what type of music you'll like later. I'm just very grateful he played it for me then.

And, I have been trying to get into Pink Floyd (success), The Who (work in progress), and the Rolling Stones (got the 40 Licks CD's). I like Floyd the best out of the 3 since I have more stuff by them at this point, but none of them will ever come close to Zep for me.

My taste in music is so wierd because it's so broad and varied.
1. Mainstream Rap
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Grunge
4. 90's/Early 00's Rock (Green Day, 311, etc.)
5. Classic Rock (AC/DC, CCR, etc.)
6. Country (Straight, Brooks, etc.)

Manny Ramirez
04-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I'd say grunge reached it's peak in 1988 when the "Touch Me, I'm Sick" b/w "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More" 7" came out.

This is so obscure that me thinks it has been made up!:p

DanHiggsBeard
04-26-2005, 05:25 PM
This is so obscure that me thinks it has been made up!:p

Mudhoney isn't obscure.

Go buy Superfuzz Bigmuff immediately.

rockets-#1
04-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Mudhoney isn't obscure.

Go buy Superfuzz Bigmuff immediately.

I was just previewing some of their stuff on iTunes, and it all sounds so badly recorded. It didn't sound live either. Were they signed with some lower budget, smaller, cheaper recording company? I bet their stuff would sound a lot better if it didn't have so much of an air guitar sound to it.

DanHiggsBeard
04-26-2005, 05:36 PM
I was just previewing some of their stuff on iTunes, and it all sounds so badly recorded. It didn't sound live either. Were they signed with some lower budget, smaller, cheaper recording company? I bet their stuff would sound a lot better if it didn't have so much of an air guitar sound to it.

hahaha, you have a lot to learn, friend.

small budget? Try NO budget.

Anyway, songs matter, not recordings. The Brentwoods and Mummies rule, though their records are nearly unlistenable. It's all about the songs.

rockets-#1
04-26-2005, 06:52 PM
hahaha, you have a lot to learn, friend.

small budget? Try NO budget.

Anyway, songs matter, not recordings. The Brentwoods and Mummies rule, though their records are nearly unlistenable. It's all about the songs.

Yeah, I agree, but that logic is a bit flawed. I mean, the songs aren't gonna sound good (least to me) if they're bad quality and the guitar isn't present enough to be heard the way it's meant to. I know you think they sound good the way they are, but think how much better they'd be if they were given quality treatment.

For example, Green Day's "Welcome To Paradise" was originally released on the "Kerplunk" CD, and I didn't like the sound at all. Then, they had a newer version of the song that was recorded with a bigger label on "Dookie" and it sounded awesome - one of their best songs.

Manny Ramirez
04-26-2005, 07:06 PM

Mudhoney isn't obscure.

You're right, DHB, Mudhoney is not obscure. But unless I am a diehard fan of them or Ms. Cleo, it is hard, next to impossible, for me to know who you are talking about (in the first post) without mentioning their name.:)

francis 4 prez
04-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by A-Train
I remember the summer of 1998. I was working at a video store and the boss made us play 96.5. They played the same four songs over and over...

The Way - Fastball
One Week - Barenaked Ladies
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing - Aerosmith

...and they played a Matchbox 20 song every five minutes.

man, The Way and Torn. they're part of this weird group of songs that, even though they came out over the course of a few years, all remind me of my freshman year of high school, which was 1997. a lot of songs where the accompaniment doesn't have a great beat or aren't really super catchy, but for some reason i really like. few of them are among my favorite songs ever but for some reason the nostalgia factor is off the charts so i always have to listen to them when i hear them on. i went through my mp3's one day and picked out all the ones that fit this category and actually came up with 54 of them and managed to burn 3 cd's from them.

my favorites and the ones i remember hearing the most would have to be:

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia (maybe my favorite of the bunch)
I Just Wanna Fly - Sugar Ray
The Way - Fastball
Real World - Matchbox 20
Like the Deserts Miss the Rain - Everything but the Girl
Crush - Jennifer Paige
Too Close - Next
Show Me Love - Robyn
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
The Freshmen - Verve Pipe
Closing Time - Semisonic
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
I Need You - Savage Garden
Dreaming of You - Selena
One Headlight - The Wallflowers
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
I Don't Wanna Wait - Paula Cole

then there's Crash by DMB, How Bizarre, Don't Speak by No Doubt, Do You Miss Me by Jocelyn Enriquez, Set U Free by Planet Soul, Chumbawumba, Silent all these Years by Tori Amos, and then a lot of others that have already been mentioned.

80's music still kicks the crap out of 90's music but this was a damn good group of songs.

DanHiggsBeard
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I agree, but that logic is a bit flawed. I mean, the songs aren't gonna sound good (least to me) if they're bad quality and the guitar isn't present enough to be heard the way it's meant to. I know you think they sound good the way they are, but think how much better they'd be if they were given quality treatment.

For example, Green Day's "Welcome To Paradise" was originally released on the "Kerplunk" CD, and I didn't like the sound at all. Then, they had a newer version of the song that was recorded with a bigger label on "Dookie" and it sounded awesome - one of their best songs.

I will disagree and say Kerplunk sounds way better than Dookie (it's a better record too, btw) and is the way Green Day was meant to sound.

Production is overrated. I'm a firm believer that bands should be recorded live in the studio, with little to no overdubs.

Hell, some of the greatest records of all time were recorded on 4-tracks and cassette recorders. "Nebraska" anyone?