1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celebrity Poker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

On Bravo ... why is it so addicting?

And the guys seem to get whooped.

(BTW, no puns allowed in this thread ;) )

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

its all set up:cool:

3. drapg

drapg Member

I love Maura Tierney.

Lauren Graham did well as well.

They appear to be able to use their feminine charm to their advantage in picking off the men.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

anyone else think lauren graham is hot??? there's just something about her that does it for me.

she could squeeze my lemon til i fall right out of bed...... ;)

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Dave Foley got a bit chunky...

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I find myself watching it all the time not quite sure why, I watch all those poker shows though. I guess I just sorta hope I pick up the game by watching it. I have played poker a few times but I still cant get what all the hands are in my head, and what beats what.

7. red

red Contributing Member

then dont watch celebrity poker to try and learn...these celebrities suck for the most part. norm was actually pretty good though.

8. ttboy

ttboy Member

This show is god-awful. Watch the World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel or the upcoming broadcasts of the 2004 World Series of Poker on ESPN: those are real tournaments where people fork over real cash to enter, so they're competing for serious loot, ranging from many hundreds of thousands of dollars to the record $5 million that was paid out to 1st place in this year's WSOP. Most of the B-list celebrities on the Bravo show are terrible poker players to begin with, but the fact that they're playing for charity makes the whole thing pointless: when there's nothing on the line, where's the drama?

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Dule was the worst. He would do dumb things like fold with 66 but play heavy with 55 two hands later? That and he had 4 of a kind by the turn and he went all in with like 8500 when the big blind was like 200 really early. He should have check raised. Guess that's why he went out early...

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

They said he just learned how to play. I believe them.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't watch it yet myself. It seems kinda hokey right now. But I do like the World Series.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Actually the Pro they have commentating makes some really good points about psychology and body language.

13. droxford

droxford Member

I like it because:

1) It's more jovial and not as serious as pro poker

2) It's nice to see the actors in a candid environment.

3) It's not scripted

4) The players aren't pro. I like watching and thinking, "No Lauren! You shoulda folded that hand!" Watching their mistakes kinda makes the game more tangible.

and

5) Since the players aren't pro, and since they have a pro commentator, I can watch and learn better than watching a pro game.

And, yes, Lauren is hot. I watch Gilmore Girls with my wife - she likes it and I like spending the time with her, and Alexis and Lauren aren't hard on the eyes.

-- droxford

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I played this week in a card house in Carlsbad CA.

I love the game....did pretty well too.

DD

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have a question...

...when you go to Vegas and go play in a poker room (I know the Bellagio has a nice one) how does the house make money? Aren't you playing against the other players? Do you have to pay the house to play?

16. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

rake: A rake is a cut of the pot that the House takes. Many players don’t pay much attention to it. Since it’s taken out of the pot, to the untrained eye it’s invisible. You only pay when you win. And when you win, well, you’re happy to have the pot. Who cares if it’s diminished by a few bucks.

17. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

The house takes a small amount from each pot at the end of the hand. This is known as the rake.

The 'pro' player that commentates for bravo is that Phil guy. He is very rich because he started a software company or something like that. On the travel channel, who was owned heads up by some amatuer. The poker coverage on FSN has Howard Lederer commentating, a true pro poker player.

18. Buck Turgidson

**** me Santa! **** me Santa! **** me Santa! **** me Santa!

19. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Tierney is a two-face of Seinfeldian proportions. Sometimes, like in NewsRadio and Liar, Liar, she is absolutely gorgeous. Other times, like in ER and Welcome to Mooseport, she is absolutely hideous.