1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Everett (SS)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DavidS, Apr 18, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Over the last few years (decade) I've been waiting for a SS to arrive that brought us some defense/fielding. Last year he had 17 errors. So far so good this year (zero).

I know it's too early to tell, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing with his game. Jimy Williams probably only expected a .250 hitter. But we've gotten more from the bat than they've expected which is a BONUS from a SS position. I'd be happy if he averaged only .250. But fielding was key for me as a fan...

All I wanted was a "human vacuum cleaner" at the SS position. :D I hope he holds up. At least on the fielding department.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byposition?pos=SS&conference=MLB&year=season_2004&qualified=1

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6389/career

#1 DavidS, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nothing against Everett, but we have not seen great pitching yet this year, other than Sheets. The Brewers, Cards, and the Giants all have mediocre pitching staffs. It's still more likely that he'll be a .260 hitter this year than a .290-.300 hitter. I do like the fact that he's shown some power and ability to take some walks. But Jimy needs to STOP having him bunt so much. I mean, it's one thing to have your #2 hitter bunt against guys like a Wood or a Beckett in a low scoring game, but it's just not right to waste an out like that against scrub pitching.

I haven't seen many Astros games last year. But sometimes, errors are caused by players who are too good, because they get to balls that others won't even get to.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

His fielding reminds me of the "Great" Roger Metzger, the best fielding SS to ever play for the Astros. Adam is a bit better as a hitter than Roger was.

Well worth trading Carl Everett for IMHO.:D

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Good point. I just hope he can *fine-tune* his timing once he *gets to the ball.* Seems to be very smooth so far. Keep an eye on his fielding throughout the year if you get a chance to watch some games.

If he dropps to .260, I'd still be happy as long as he provides that fielding we've always needed. We have a lot of bats to help him out. Just want him to keep *gobbling* up those lightning grounders! :cool:

#4 DavidS, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

One thing you guys failed to mention about Everett's game is his speed, something that's needed on an otherwise rather slow team.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Wasn't Metzer's nickname "Hoover" along the line of DavidS's request for a human vacuum cleaner?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And Everett's nickname should be 'Gopher', quite obvious if you've seen O Brother Where Art Thou.

"Gopher, Everett?"

8. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

uh, Reynolds?

Everett is an excellent fielder, but I wish he would fill out a little more. All the dives he'll have to make over a 162 game season will really take a toll on that small frame.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously, meh....that's the way it is MOST nights in MLB, now. On most nights, you're not facing a stud. You listed the Brewers and the Cards....meh, we play those teams a TON of times as division opponents. The Giants started the season with Schmidt on the mound against us...he's no slouch.

other than the Cubs, who in the NL trounces out studs on a regular basis?? i can't think of one...particularly if you're not considering pitchers like schmidt, matt morris or woody williams as studs.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros:D

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While Schmidt is, indeed, a good pitcher, he was on the DL and did not face the Astros in the first series. Reuter started opening night.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like the bunting. Its good solid baseball. With the pitching the Astros have, a couple of manufactored runs can be the deciding factor on nights with cold bats. I just wish he would turn some off these bunts into hits.

13. MadMax

damn you and your facts, bobrek!!! :D

you're right..but you also reminded me that reuter pitched very well...i was confusing those 2.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only defensive problems I ever see in Everett is his arm. It is not particularly strong and he has accuracy problems on occasion. But so far it has worked out nicely since Bagwell is nothing short of excellent at digging out low throws in the dirt.

But outside of that small issue, Adam Everett is the freaking man.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dickie Thon anyone?

DD

16. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Thon is the best Astros SS ever when it comes to the combo of fielding and batting...He could have been the up there with Biggio and and Bags as the best Astros ever had he not been hit by that pitch....

However, he wasn't the best defensive Astros SS ever.

Everett has a nice arm...I don't get that that criticism?

And Reuter pitched like crap opening night...the Astros just bailed him out by never capitalizing with runner in scoring positions. In those first two games we only scored 1 run (from a walk, no less) with bases loaded inm like 6 opportunities. I remember spefically 4 strikes out with bases loaded in that 2nd game.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like Adam...Great D and his bat will come along soon...Will he be a A-Rod, no, but a lot better than what we used to have...

18. MadMax

no..he's no A-Rod...he's actually hitting and driving in runs so far this season....not taking the collar for an entire series!!! :)

i know...i know...A-Rod is awesome...so i rag on him when I can. he's a freaking yankee after all.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Hey Max how are those Braves looking buddy? :cool:

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I guess you're right that there's not much pitching in the NL central against us other than the Cubs. And the unbalanced schedule will make it even better on our hitters. But still, we have faced only three teams. If Everett can avoid a big dropoff after another month or so, I'd be more hopeful about his bat coming around. This is a player that has never hit much in the minors, although his plate discipline is said to be pretty good. I hope this year is a breakout year for him, but I am skeptical.