1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush Administration Hires South African Mercenaries to serve in Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Feb 20, 2004.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, this isn't a joke.

From the Forward

http://www.forward.com/

Home > NewsNews
    Apartheid Enforcers Guard Iraq For the U.S.
    By Marc Perelman

In its effort to relieve overstretched U.S. troops in Iraq, the Bush administration has hired a private security company staffed with former henchmen of South Africa’s apartheid regime.
    The reliance on apartheid enforcers was highlighted by an attack in Iraq last month that killed one South African security officer and wounded another who worked for the subsidiary of a firm called Erinys International. Both men once served in South African paramilitary units dedicated to the violent repression of apartheid opponents.

François Strydom, who was killed in the January 28 bombing of a hotel in Baghdad, was a former member of the Koevoet, a notoriously brutal counterinsurgency arm of the South African military that operated in Namibia during the neighboring state’s fight for independence in the 1980s. His colleague Deon Gouws, who was injured in the attack, is a former officer of the Vlakplaas, a secret police unit in South Africa.

“It is just a horrible thought that such people are working for the Americans in Iraq,” said Richard Goldstone, a recently retired justice of the Constitutional Court of South Africa and former chief prosecutor of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda.
    The Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq and the Pentagon did not return requests for comment.

In Iraq, the U.S. government has tapped into the ever-growing pool of private security companies to provide a variety of defense services, including protecting oil sites and training Iraqi forces. Observers worry that a reliance on these companies and the resulting lack of accountability is a recipe for further problems in a volatile region.

Erinys Iraq, the subsidiary of the largely unknown security company called Erinys International, was awarded a two-year contract worth $80 million last August to protect 140 Iraqi oil installations and train some 6,500 Iraqi guards. It then subcontracted some of its security duties to a U.S. private security firm called SAS International.

The contract raised eyebrows in the industry because Erinys beat out better-known competitors. While the coalition authority has not released information on the tender, some of its officials were quoted as saying the bidding was fair.
    Neither the authority nor Erinys responded to e–mail queries regarding the tender and ultimate contract.

In addition to fueling criticism over the lack of transparency of the bidding process in Iraq, the contract has also ignited political infighting in Baghdad between two key U.S. allies. The leader of the Iraqi National Accord, an exile group with close links to the CIA, has accused one of his main rivals of orchestrating the deal for his own purposes. Iyad Allawi told the Financial Times last December that Ahmed Chalabi, the leader of the Pentagon-backed Iraqi National Congress, had engineered the Erinys contract in order to set up a private militia that would end up undermining central authority over the vital oil sector.
    Private security companies, including Erinys International, have served as a magnet for poorly paid and highly skilled South African security officers, according to a recent United Nations report and articles in the South African press. Headquartered in London with offices in Johannesburg and Dubai, Erinys International reportedly was established in the summer of 2002 by former British and South African security officials. Its Erinys Iraq subsidiary reportedly was set up last May in the wake of the U.S.-led invasion, when the oil infrastructure had become a prime target for looters.

Gouws, a former Pretoria police officer who then worked for the notorious Vlakplaas unit, was declared medically unfit and discharged from the police in December 1996 after a decade of service. That year, Gouws submitted an amnesty application to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, a body set up after the apartheid to investigate past atrocities. According to records of the commission, Gouws and a colleague were granted amnesty in May 1999 for admitting their involvement in the 1986 murder of regional minister and opposition leader Piet Ntuli.
    Strydom belonged to the Kovoet unit, which had brutally suppressed the Namibian opposition. As Namibia edged toward its independence in the late 1980s, Koevoet was folded into the Vlakpaas unit.

According to Goldstone — who chaired South Africa’s Standing Commission of Inquiry Regarding Public Violence and Intimidation in the early 1990s — elements of those government-sponsored hit squads continued to foment trouble even after Nelson Mandela was freed from prison and South Africa embarked on the road towards full-fledged democracy. In addition, several mercenary companies dispatched former South African soldiers to war-torn countries, including Angola and Sierra Leone.

This prompted the new South African government to launch a campaign to outlaw mercenary companies. The July 1998 Regulation of Foreign Military Assistance Act prohibits South Africans from direct participation as combatants in armed conflict for private gain. The law covers recruitment, training and financing, and applies to South Africans acting abroad as well.

South African security companies working outside the country are required by law to register with the National Conventional Arms Control Committee. According to South African lawmaker Raenette Taljaard, however, the committee did not receive an authorization application from Erinys International. “A lot of the South Africans doing mercenary work or working for private military companies were involved in Apartheid-era repression,” she said. “This is a big concern and it is just bad for South Africa’s reputation.”

The chairman of the committee said in a statement after the January 28 incident that any violation of the law would be referred to prosecutors for further investigation.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Can he hire a few hundred thousand? ;)

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

im not 100% sure, but arent mercs illegal under international law? if it is, i guess it doesnt really matter, especially if they are called private security companies. i wonder if we have to pay more or less if they are killed.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hessians?

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Dammit, even MORE jobs going abroad!!!:eek: ;) :D

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I guess they haven't got enough recruits from Mexico.

It does remind me of when King George tried to use the Hessians to put down the Colonists.

7. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LMAO! This is just a beautiful post.

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

you never know, with the international appeal that Bush has, maybe all the US mercenaries are already hired

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I thought you all were griping about the number of Americans getting killed?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

From what I understand of the article, the company was hired to guard oil installations and do training. I don't think that makes them 'mercenaries.' Mercenaries are men who are paid to fight wars for you. These guys sound like well-trained and well-armed mall cops. Their primary role is most likely deterrence, not fighting. I don't think that makes them mercenaries unless you also want to call bank security guards or warehouse night watchmen mercenaries. This article reminds me a lot of the one about closed-captioning where the article kept using the word 'censorship' as if it was already proven it was a case of censorship.

That's not to say I'm entirely comfortable with the idea of apartheid counter-insurgents being given guns in Iraq.

12. gifford1967

Supporting Member

What a great point. I now see that hiring is South African mercenaries to serve in Iraq is a brilliant and morally justifiable policy.

13. gifford1967

Supporting Member

I don't think it's a stretch to call ex-soldiers from a foriegn country who are hired to carry out duties that require weapons in a war zone, "mercenaries". But that's just me.

14. JuanValdez

I'm sure it's not just you; I'm sure others will agree with you. I don't though. It seems to me the point of the article and of this thread is score rhetorical points by using incendiary vocabulary in talking about the Bush administration's handling of the occupation. If not, then why use a word like 'mercenary' (which is fitting maybe in an emotive way but certainly not in a technical one)? Why not tell the story as it is without using incendiary language and let the reader apply the tags as warranted?

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i think JV is dead on here

and there is a significant difference. just like there is a significant difference between defense and offense if that makes sense.

16. gifford1967

Supporting Member

1. I respectfully disagree with you.

2. I sometimes use incendiary (sp?) language to make a point, this was not one of those times.

3. Is my use of the word "mercenary" really the most remarkable thing about this issue, article, thread? I think disbelief, followed by outrage, is a more reasonable response to this news.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Excuse me... did you say "hire" or "conscript?"

It's a free world-- at least our part is. If that's what they want to do, why not let them?

18. JuanValdez

1. Ok.

2. Ok.

3. If it were a news article you had posted about contracting a security company that hired apartheid counter-insurgents, then disbelief and outrage might be more relevant points of discussion. Instead, you posted a one-sided quasi-editorial that uses misleading language like 'mercenary.' Since it seemed to me that the point of the article and the thread was not to discuss the news but instead to make a rhetorical point, I thought my response was the most appropriate one -- to discuss it on the level of rhetoric. If the writer had refrained from using 'mercenary' I probably would have had a much more sympathetic reaction to the point he wanted to argue.

I won't say the guy doesn't have a valid point. He might; but I can't trust him when he writes like that.

19. JuanValdez

On the actual point of the thread. Is it reproachable policy to hire security companies to secure important installations like oil sites? Is it problematic to hire foreigners to this end? Is it problematic to hire people who were responsible for propping up a racist and oppressive regime -- especially in a country with its own problems with oppression and racism?

On the first question, I'd say it is fine. The sites they are protecting are industrial, not military, so a civilian security company contract is ok with me. Our government is serving as both an occupying army and a general contractor right now, so I don't have a problem with them hiring people to do work soldiers would be doing otherwise -- even if it does make for some blurry lines.

I would be somewhat concerned about hiring foreigners since they will not be motivated be love of Iraq nor by love of the US. Hiring an Iraqi company was probably not a possibility given the chaos there. You'd have to worry not only about training and organization, but politics and screening too. It seems like they are working on that with the 6,500 Iraqis being trained, but I can understand there was no ready-made Iraqi solution. I don't know if there was an American alternative either. I would think so; I don't know why we wouldn't hire American. So, I'm a bit concerned about that.

And the apartheid past? You know at least they have some credentials and some experience. If nothing else, they are battle-tested. Can we assume they'll bring racist ideologies with them? It is unclear to me from the article just what percentage of the security force is actually ex-apartheid. Even if they all are, will they bring these ideologies to bear, and, if so, what effect can it really have given that they are in a country with few whites? Will they have strong preferences between the Sunnis and Shi'ites? I would say it is an area of concern that I hope our government is watching, but not necessarily an automatic deal-killer.

20. gifford1967

Supporting Member

I think it's a bad idea to hire civilian contractors for military purposes, particulary if it involves any risk of combat, because of accountability. Taking military action is serious and should only be a last resort. If our political leaders are not willing to bear the costs of a military intervention in american lives it's probably not justified. The politicians' accountability is in terms of clearly visible US casualties.

I view reporting on war in the same way. War is a horrible, bloody mess, in which many innocents are inevitably killed. That being said, war is sometimes better than the alternative. However, the population of any country contemplating going to war, should be fully aware of the consequences to their own soldiers and the population of the other country. This can't happen when the media will not broadcast images of war casualties. When we're shielded from the reality of war and don't have to experience the consequences of war, we make the decision to go to war too lightly.

South African Security forces during apartheid were notorious for their brutality and human rights abuses. I think it would be serious mistake, and morally wrong, to use these ex-soldiers in any way.