1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about oweing money to an Apartment Complex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Jun 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hey. I've got some sort of credit agency calling me, saying that I owe my old Apartment complex $200 for damages that my dog did to the place. Here is my question. If I don't pay this, will it hurt my actual credit, or just my renters credit? I've heard in the past that debt owed for an apartment doesnt hurt you're actual credit, it just hurts you if you try to get another apartment one day.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My understanding is that it can hurt your credit, as long as the company who owns your apartment complex is a member of one of the credit reporting agencies.

However...if they sue you and reduce this to a judgment (which would also include attorneys fees and post-judgment interest) then they will abstract the judgment and it will absolutely show up on any credit report you have.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Isn't that what a security deposit is for?? If they gave you back your security deposit, then they basically said that the apartment was in good shape when you left...

Tell them to go stick their $200 up their ass...

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Tell them you don't own a dog.

My old apt tried to charge me $130 for damage I did to the apartment because I'm a smoker.

When they demanded payment, I lied to them.

I told them I don't smoke.

They wound up cutting me a check for $45.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well, I didn't have to pay a deposit there, so I guess thats why it isn't coming out of that. I did have to pay a fee just to have a pet there, but they said that doesn't cover any damages. I'm thinking about just telling the collection agency that I will pay part of it, but not all. I mean it's only $200, but I honestly don't think my dog did that much damage. From what i hear sometimes you can negotioate with how much you will pay them, and they will be happy to get something rather than nothing.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You heard right. Make 'em beg!

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I bailed on a $3300 bill an apartment complex tried to stick on me and my roommate. It was a total scam and nothing ever happened, they want your money so they will try several times to contact you, so like RMT said, "You heard right. Make 'em beg!"

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:confused: Then what was the "fee" for? Sounds like a scam to me. I could be wrong, but any apartment complex that doesn't collect a deposit probably isn't a member of a credit reporting agency. What kind of apartment complex doesn't even get a deposit?

I'd blow 'em off.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wouldn't pay it (unless, of course, it was one of my company's apartment buildings :) ). This is what deposits are for. You've moved out, they have no deposit, I doubt they have any langauge in the lease contract to cover it. They don't have a case. I wouldn't blow them off though. Talk to the apartment complex and ask them on what basis do they think they can charge you. Do they have a contractual clause they would obligate you? If not, you shouldn't pay them a cent, damage or not.

If they do put the incident on your credit report, you can make your own comments on it as well. So, you can write next to their complaint that they had no basis for the claim.

Edit: Plus, the pet fee is generally taken to cover for damages caused by dogs. What was the point of a pet fee if it didn't cover damage? Just because it is non-refundable doesn't mean it isn't a deposit itself.

#9 JuanValdez, Jun 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well they normally charge deposits, but I guess they were running a special or something the month that I signed my lease. The only thing I remember paying is an application fee. It is a big Apartment Complex, and they have multiple locations around Houston, they are called "The Lodge @ 'whatever'." So I'm guessing they are probably a member of the credit reporting agency or whatever. I talked to the collector this morning and he said that since this is for damages, he cant make any kind of deal with me. Basically he said that if I don't pay it by Tuesday morning it is going on my credit report.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's some special they've got running: "No Deposit! We'll just send a debt collector later!"

Up to you. From what you've told us, it doesn't sound like a justified charge. You can't go around asking former customers for more money. I think you let it run too long since they've handed the debt to a collection agency. You should have hashed it out with the apartment complex in the beginning.

Personally, I wouldn't pay it, but I'm stubborn that way. If living without hassle is worth $200, then pay it and be done with it.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I lived at the Lodge at West Oaks. They're owned by Hanover. They're freaking huge. I would not doubt for one second that this will go on your credit report.

Do you still have a copy of the lease? I'm betting it says they can hold you liable for damage, etc. Like it or not..with or without the deposit..you're still liable for damage you do to the apartment. You can argue with them over the extent of the damage...and I would if I were you...but just because you didn't pay a deposit does not mean they can still hold you liable.

I had a pet deposit there too...the language with Hanover specifically states that it has nothing to do with damage caused...it's merely a little extra you pay if you want to have a dog on the premises..in fact, it's non-refundable, so it's not a traditional deposit at all, if I remember right.

I'm telling you, $200 is nothing compared to credit hassles. Take it from an attorney who does a TON of collection work for banks and local businesses...pay the freaking $200 and move on. If they get attorneys involved it will get exponentially more expensive to take care of. That allows people like me to go to Astros games and eat more James Coney Island!

There are some nice stories here about saying, "ah, screw it," and moving on just fine. But if it bothers you enough to be this concerned about it, I'd pay it.

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I've lived in apartments where they called it a "cleaning fee" and it was non-refundable and wasn't a deposit to cover potential damage, just to clean the place (though the fee was always several hundred dollars. I've never paid one, though, as I don't have pets).

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Alot of reputable apartments are doing the no deposit thing. I only know of a few that charge a petfee rather than a pet deposit (usually can't get half back or whatever)>

Maybe, they had to shampoo your carpet a bit more? Did your dog do any damage?

Anything that goes to a collection agency is not good for credit. And owing another property money makes it very hard to find a place to live.

My old apartment charged me 20 bucks for foil removal once. :rolleyes:

15. TraJ

TraJ Member

Has the apartment complex told you what was damaged? If not, ask them for a list of damages. Perhaps your dog didn't do some of the damage attributed to him/her.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah...they said the had to replace the carpet and mini blinds. My dog did do this damage, I'm not disputing that. My real question was weather or not it was something I needed to worry about, since I don't plan on renting another apartment again (I moved into a house.) I think I will just pay it and be done with it though.

17. Bigman

Bigman Member

I currently have a 600 dollar collection from my old apartment complex on my credit report. I'm also currently re-financing. I moved out about 5 years ago and bought a house. I've also bought three cars since then and it's been on my credit report for two of the deals. It's really not that big of a deal, IMO. My dad has been in consumer lending for 35 yrs and says that Apartments, and medical collections are almost always overlooked by him. Usually the biggest hurdle is with a mortgage company when you buy your first house. They may make you settle. Settling is the sweetest part of it ;) At some point in time the Apartment complex will sell the debt to a someone else. Usually you can settle with these guys for half of what you owe. I settled an $800 bullsh.. debt for $200 at my first house closing. I called up the guy and told him that I'd give him $100 today if he was willing. He said no I need the whole thing. Then I told him I could care less if that was on my credit report because It's obviously not hurting me and told him I'd already closed on the house and bought a new car (lie ;) ) How about $200 and I'll send my wife over with a check? OK, sure. Sweeeeet. Settled and closed on the house the same day.

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I would just pay it so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I assume you'll be getting calls from collection agents for some time (I still get calls from time to time over a credit card I defaulted on after my divorce in 1993) if you don't pay.

Plus, you did do the damage (or your dog did), so it's really the right thing to do to pay it.

19. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Agree on that.