PDA

View Full Version : Houston stories- Fact or Fiction?

Another Brother
01-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Did Robert Horry really beat up Calvin Murphy's daughter?

Was Jeff Alm really getting a hum from a dude at the time of the accident?

Is Ed Brandon really gay?

Is Sylvester Turner really gay?

Was there ever a "Leaky Eye Man?"

Answer away...

Ask away...

Behad
01-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Another Brother

I thought he knocked her up, not beat her up.

DallasThomas
01-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Calvin question again: did his wife really die in a car wreck at Hwy. 6 and Bellaire or did my Mom used to always just tell me that because I worked at that Randall's and she wanted me to be safe?

codell
01-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by DallasThomas
Calvin question again: did his wife really die in a car wreck at Hwy. 6 and Bellaire or did my Mom used to always just tell me that because I worked at that Randall's and she wanted me to be safe?

Calvin did lose his wife to a car accident, although I am not sure where it happened.

The amazing thing was, he was back on the air within a couple of days broadcasting games.

drapg
01-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Whoa. The Jeff Alm tale is new to me, and I lived in Houston at that time.

Pole
01-09-2003, 06:24 PM
"beat" up? I thought he KNOCKED her up.

Outside of Dr. Neil Frank, I think all TV weathermen are gay.

Pole
01-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Pole

Sorry Behad....I typed my response....then got called away.....then came back.....then stuck my thumb up my ass....then hit submit.

Another Brother
01-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Dang, I didn't know that's how Murphs wife died. Bummer.

drapg, although in bad taste (no pun intended) it's been a running joke on here for a while.

pgabriel
01-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by drapg
Whoa. The Jeff Alm tale is new to me, and I lived in Houston at that time.

Dude, You didn't hear this story. It goes he was getting a "...." at the time of the accident, when his car flipped over his friend died with something still in his oral cavity detached from Mr. Alm and that is why he killed himself on the side of the road. John McClain was fanaticly denying the story Friday Morning on 610 BTW. Funny AB should bring it up.

codell
01-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by DallasThomas

from the Houston Chronicle archives:

Calvin Murphy 's wife dies after crash

Staff

The wife of former Houston Rockets star Calvin Murphy died Friday at Hermann Hospital from traffic injuries.

Phyllis Davidson, 39, of Missouri City was injured about 6:10 p.m. Thursday in the 7100 block of Texas 6 near Bellaire Boulevard, said sheriff's Lt. Gerald Warren.

Warren said Davidson was southbound in a Jeep when she tried to turn left into a restaurant parking lot and was struck by a northbound car.

The impact knocked Davidson, who was not wearing a seat belt, onto the pavement where, Warren said, the other car hit her.

The other driver suffered minor injuries.

Davidson died in the hospital at 6:50 a.m. Friday.

Murphy , a television broadcaster for Rockets games, was with the team in Los Angeles but returned to Houston late Thursday.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

A-Train
01-09-2003, 06:31 PM
My wife met a channel 2 camera operator that told her Chuck George was gay...

I mean, c'mon...anybody that does a weather report from the houston ballet HAS to be a little fruity...

How about this one. Does anybody know how old Marvin Zindler is? I swear, dude probably served in the Civil War...

drapg
01-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Damn. I'm still shocked that I was so out of the loop about this Alm urban legend. As a guy who pores over sports in its every possible source, I never once heard this story. Nothing from the Internet, AM radio, newspapers, magazines, TV, etc.

I'm still stunned.

Another Brother
01-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by codell
from the Houston Chronicle archives:
The impact knocked Davidson, who was not wearing a seat belt, onto the pavement where, Warren said, the other car hit her.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that's horrible.

A-Train,

I actually heard that Marvin died in 84.

He is obviously a vampire, have YOU ever seen him in the daylight?

Sonny
01-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Pole

Roger on both.

ALL of Channel 2's news guys are FLAMING, especially Chuck George. :)

pgabriel
01-09-2003, 06:36 PM
I think Horry really did hit Murphy's daughter. I seem to remember that in the news. They do have a kid together. Have you guys ever noticed how Bill and Murph joke about how many kids Murph has. That is always too funny to me. BTW, his daughter is hot, at least if it is the same one I have seen. Believe it or not, and I know most of you probably don't believe he could have a good looking off-spring.

codell
01-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by A-Train
My wife met a channel 2 camera operator that told her Chuck George was gay...

How funny, MY wife tells me the same thing. In fact, she said that Frank Billingsley is gay too.

How do women know these things? :eek:

A-Train
01-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Here's my theory:

Marvin Zindler is really a cybornetic organism. Houstonians are so addicted to that catchy "SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE!" that when Zindler died recently, doctors carefully removed his entire outer skin and placed it on a titanium endoskeleton so he would live on forever. If you look REEEEEEEALY closely, you can ocassionally see a red dot glowing underneath those sunglasses...

Another Brother
01-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by A-Train
Here's my theory:

Marvin Zindler is really a cybornetic organism. Houstonians are so addicted to that catchy "SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE!" that when Zindler died recently, doctors carefully removed his entire outer skin and placed it on a titanium endoskeleton so he would live on forever. If you look REEEEEEEALY closely, you can ocassionally see a red dot glowing underneath those sunglasses...

:D whoo!

Sonny
01-09-2003, 06:40 PM
How funny, MY wife tells me the same thing. In fact, she said that Frank Billingsley is gay too.

How do women know these things? :eek:

I have heard the same also from folks that work there.

pgabriel
01-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Sonny
I have heard the same also from folks that work there.

Maybe thats why they got rid of Craig Roberts:( :mad:

codell
01-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Apparently, this is true ..................

Once again from the Houston Chronicle archives:

Assault complaint filed against Rockets' Horry

Staff

Tiffani Dawn Murphy , the daughter of former Houston Rockets star Calvin Murphy , has filed a complaint alleging Rockets forward Robert Horry assaulted her in a local club.

Murphy , 24, who has claimed she is the mother of Horry 's child, said she was at a local nightclub when Horry came up and hit her in the face, the report states.

Murphy alleged the incident occurred about 2:45 a.m. Sunday.

Houston Police spokesman Joe Gamino said Murphy filed the complaint Sunday morning. He said no charges have yet been filed against Horry , 24, but the complaint will be investigated by either the family violence or major assaults division.

Last July, Tiffani Murphy filed suit against Horry , alleging he was the father of her then-5-month-old son, Nicholas Damian.

xiki
01-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Forgetting the Weathermen, Robert fathered CM's granddaughter, I believe. And has never been welcomed back to Houston despite all attempts by RH and others to accomplish same.

Alm, regretably, did die as described, I heard at the time from two different sports people.

Another Brother
01-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Was Kathy Whitmire gay?

Did Micky Leland die in a planecrash with his mistress?

Is Dave Ward a preacher?

mrpaige
01-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Damn. I'm still shocked that I was so out of the loop about this Alm urban legend. As a guy who pores over sports in its every possible source, I never once heard this story. Nothing from the Internet, AM radio, newspapers, magazines, TV, etc.

I'm still stunned.

You were out of the loop. I heard the story up in Amarillo just a few days after Alm's death.

Summer Song Giver
01-09-2003, 06:52 PM
A couple I've heard before

Ed Brandon was busted with cocaine went to rehab and only through a close personal friendship with Dave Ward was he able to get his job back.

Famed run and shoot receiver Ernest Givens was gay and had his boyfriend sit with the players wives on gameday.

Anyone care to substantiate

Also the Alm rumor has been aound for a long time for some reason I believe it to be true.

mrpaige
01-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by xiki
Alm, regretably, did die as described, I heard at the time from two different sports people.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. It would depend who they heard it from and how reliable those folks were. Maybe it's true. Maybe it isn't, but hearing it from two sports guys at the time would not mean anything as it isn't really proof of anything.

pgabriel
01-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Summer Song Giver
A couple I've heard before

Ed Brandon was busted with cocaine went to rehab and only through a close personal friendship with Dave Ward was he able to get his job back.

Famed run and shoot receiver Ernest Givens was gay and had his boyfriend sit with the players wives on gameday.

Anyone care to substantiate

Ed Brandon was in re-hab, thats why he wasn't there for a while, and I think it was heroine.

Also the Alm rumor has been aound for a long time for some reason I believe it to be true.

Another Brother
01-09-2003, 06:58 PM

Very public, I remember his apology on a newscast.

I heard Ernest and Haywood Jeffries.

heypartner
01-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mrpaige
That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. It would depend who they heard it from and how reliable those folks were. Maybe it's true. Maybe it isn't, but hearing it from two sports guys at the time would not mean anything as it isn't really proof of anything.
I heard it from different people at the hospital. That's where the rumor broke. Everyone basically regretted repeating such a personal story of a tragic event, so everyone quickly stopped mentioning it.

moomoo
01-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Isn't it Haywood Jeffires, or some weird spelling like that?

What happened to that dude anyway? What's he doing now?

mrpaige
01-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by heypartner
I heard it from different people at the hospital. That's where the rumor broke. Everyone basically regretted repeating such a personal story of a tragic event, so everyone quickly stopped mentioning it.

Again. Maybe it's true. Maybe it isn't.

I can't tell you how many untrue stories I've heard from hospital personnel throughout my life (my father is a physician, my stepmothers were all nurses, my ex-wife is an x-ray tech, my former mother-in-law is a nurse, her sister is a nurse, and so on and so forth). Every one of them swore said stories were true. Some, which involved me or immediate family members, I knew to not be true.

I don't care whether it's true or not, but I'm always going to be a skeptic because I know of so many stories that get passed around that turn out to be bogus. The Alm story carries a lot of the Urban Legend hallmarks. That doesn't mean it's not true. It very well could be. I just kind of expect real evidence to come out. A police report. An autopsy report. Something other than second-hand, at best, stories.

[heavy sarcasm]Plus, if John McClain says it isn't true, then obviously it isn't. He's always right.[/heavy sarcasm]

codell
01-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Just curious ...how would anyone be able to substantiate the Alm rumor if the two ..ummm..."participants" were both dead before personnel arrived at the scene?

Did someone see them??

How??

B-Bob
01-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Not to be too detailed, but if you found a dead body with a detached sexual organ in its mouth, you would start to wonder a bit.

Smokey
01-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Just curious ...how would anyone be able to substantiate the Alm rumor if the two ..ummm..."participants" were both dead before personnel arrived at the scene?

Did someone see them??

How??

If Alm's member was detached in his friend's mouth it can be assumed.

Smokey
01-09-2003, 07:58 PM

Since Brandon is clean and back at work, this is freaking hilarious! :D

codell
01-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm ........Ive never heard the story up until this thread. The whole physics of it does not seem to make sense.

But I digress ....mainly because I am scared that someone might try to explain it. :eek:

B-Bob
01-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Ive never heard the story up until this thread. The whole physics of it does not seem to make sense.

But I digress ....mainly because I am scared that someone might try to explain it. :eek:
Too late. :) I think people's muscles tighten during impact. That means jaws will close quickly. Is that enough explanation?

drapg
01-09-2003, 08:15 PM
This Alm story has all the makings of an urban legend.

ethos: The story receives its credibility because it occured to a famous person who was a member of an important and powerful corporation (NFL and Houston Oilers). Additionally, the hospital at which Alm was checked into lends its name as a source.

pathos: The fact that Alm ended up commiting suicide draws feelings of sympathy and pity for the main character in the story. More pathos appeal can be found in the fact that over the course of history, homosexuality has been looked upon as moraly deprave. The story tells a tale of how homosexual activities lead to a deadly and viscous end of two young lives.

logos: I haven't heard the story in its original form, so I can't comment too much on the logos. But from what I've picked out of this thread, it seems that there a logical flaw in the story. The tale says that the person giving Alm oral pleasure was thrown out of the car with Alm's member at the time of the accident. Forgive my graphic discussion, but if someone actually were committing the act no Alm, how could a detachment occur. Oral pleasure doesn't consist of "chomping down" and holding with all one's might onto the partner's member. There would have to be one strong grip, something I don't think the human mouth has, to detach a member. The story doesn't hold.

(Again, I'm sorry for being graphic and hope I haven't offended anyone, including any family or friends of Alm that could possibly read this analysis.)

No, I'm not a freak. I took a course titled "The Rhetoric of Urban Legends" in college, and this is what we learned. Our final exam was to write an urban legend and circulate it (to find out if it would catch on). Mine actually got around quite a bit from what I remember, and even came back to me one day via email form!

drapg
01-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Well I was writing my post after B-Bob wrote his description.

I have to say that even if a person's muscles tighten after death, I still can't find it feasible that they tighten to the point of detachment. Perhaps someone from the medical field could give us more insight?

B-Bob
01-09-2003, 08:20 PM
I am happy to help drive this thread toward complete lock-down after its otherwise interesting start.

drapg, I don't get what you don't get here. Unless someone's member is made of IRON, I think human teeth will do the job. People in car wrecks often complain of all sorts of muscle pain unrelated to actual contact. Instead they have strained muscles by tightening up under the stress and surprise of the accident.

If you don't think this could happen, you should really read more of Charles Bukowski's short stories. ;)

codell
01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
drapg,

Thanks for the follow up. I am definitely skeptical too.

There must have been some adrenalin flowin' if Alm, after losing his "piece", had the where-with-all to get out, look for his gun, then shoot himself.

I can't speak for you guys, but If I lost my baby-maker, I would be too doubled over in pain and shock to do anything but scream like a soprano.

I guess anything is possible though.

:eek:

drapg
01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
I guess that's why I never took any advanced Biology classes! :D

I didn't know that muscles tighten up that much after death. Something to think about next time I'm in a car and a future girlfriend offers some satisfaction! ;)

drapg
01-09-2003, 08:26 PM

I can't speak for you guys, but If I lost my baby-maker, I would be too doubled over in pain and shock to do anything but scream like a soprano.

Actually, I could see myself using a gun because I'd be so irrational after being in an accident, killing my friend, and losing my... and thinking that I couldn't live normally without it.

I'd be so distraught that I could see myself committing suicide instantly. That was the only part of the story that I could realistically believe.

Man are we derailing this thread badly!

Kam
01-09-2003, 08:27 PM
I've met Chuck George. He let me and my other classmates play on the wheather thing. This one guy was wearing blue, so we could only see his head and his arms and legs.

Chuck just seemed....ya know. He seemed.

Ed Brandon? The old guy?

No way? When was this?

Khambrell Marshall....

I saw Craig Roberts Desk. He had a picture of a Houston Oiler on it. If I saw Chris Wragge, I would have kicked his ass. I want to fight Chris Wragge.

B-Bob
01-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah, this thread is really losing its member in a car wreck. I tell you what. At least we've learned a valuable lesson: pull over.

Kam
01-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I heard they were drunk. Those two guys. Alm and his friend.

Jeff
01-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Is Dave Ward a preacher?

Only at the church of whiskey sour. :)

In commenting on the gayness of local weathermen, channel 2 has cornered the market with George and Billingsly. Most days, Billingsly has so much eye-liner on, it makes one wonder if he's got the drag sttuff in the back for the after-broadcast party at Mary's.

And speaking of gay, there's a reason why local media jokingly refer to channel 2 investigative reporter Robert Arnold as Captain Fabulous. :D

codell
01-09-2003, 08:30 PM

Man are we derailing this thread badly!

No kidding.

I am getting out while I can.

Ill leave it at this: Until someone goes to the county coroner's office and get copies of their autopsys and proves this myth, I will remain very skeptical.

Too far fetched to believe IMO.

Jeff
01-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Kam
I saw Craig Roberts Desk. He had a picture of a Houston Oiler on it. If I saw Chris Wragge, I would have kicked his ass. I want to fight Chris Wragge.

Wragge is supposedly one of the nicest media person in Houston. A number of people have told me that.

codell
01-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Jeff

In commenting on the gayness of local weathermen, channel 2 has cornered the market with George and Billingsly. Most days, Billingsly has so much eye-liner on, it makes one wonder if he's got the drag sttuff in the back for the after-broadcast party at Mary's.

And speaking of gay, there's a reason why local media jokingly refer to channel 2 investigative reporter Robert Arnold as Captain Fabulous. :D

How about Matt Lavine over at Fox 26?

He likes to wear those fashionable glasses while on the air. Hmmmmmmmmmm ........

Deckard
01-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Wow, codell... what you said seems convincing to me. It's weird that I never heard this particular story. I remember the accident. The whole thing was really shocking, even without the "urban legend" part.

The story about Kathy Whitmire certainly made the rounds. I could care less if she was or wasn't, but it's definitely a Houston urban legend. So is Hofheinz not running for re-election as mayor because HPD had something on him. THAT I'm inclined to believe. HPD was capable of a great deal back then.

Smokey
01-09-2003, 08:33 PM
People hate on Wragge cause he's married to some famous model...I can't remember her name right now though

heypartner
01-09-2003, 08:46 PM
(my father is a physician, my stepmothers were all nurses, my ex-wife is an x-ray tech, my former mother-in-law is a nurse, her sister is a nurse, and so on and so forth). Every one of them swore said stories were true. Some, which involved me or immediate family members, I knew to not be true.
I'm confused. Your father, stepmother, ex-wife, etc said one thing that wasn't true about your "immediate family." Maybe I'm missing something, but this sounds like a family dispute.

I also have 6 doctors in my immediate family, two nurses, and know many people at TMC....starting with 2 doctors and 2 nurses from my immediate family.

But we shouldn't be talking about such a tragic outcome. This is unproveable, because it should remain unproveable.

But please don't critique my sources. ;)

Kam
01-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Wragge is supposedly one of the nicest media person in Houston. A number of people have told me that.

I like him too. He seems swell, but he took Craig Roberts job.

I remember seeing him on the home and garden channel talking about grass.

mrpaige
01-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by heypartner
I'm confused. Your father, stepmother, ex-wife, etc said one thing that wasn't true about your "immediate family." Maybe I'm missing something, but this sounds like a family dispute.

No. I mentioned all of them to note how closely myself and my family have been to other hospital personnel. Those things about us got back to us through the grapevine eventually, but they weren't started by the family members or passed along by them (though some family members weren't as good as others about shutting down the rumors).

I'm just saying lots of things are said by lots of people. Medical personnel not excluded. Unless they were the ones who pried the detached member out of the mouth (or were present when it was), the source is going to be suspect (and unless I heard it from them directly, I'd still be skeptical). Being close to where something may have happened doesn't make one a better source. It's still second-hand information (and we have had someone online here claim that one of his relatives knows the Richard Gere/gerbil story to be true because his relative was allegedly there. So are we all willing to say the Richard Gere story is true?)

Summer Song Giver
01-09-2003, 09:59 PM
[post removed]

LonghornFan
01-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Ernest Givins was the Oiler who favored pickles, as does Frank Billingsly (The old KLOL morning crew had a field day with this story).

For the person wondering what Jeffries is doing, I believe he was coaching a team in the womens football league?

Marvin Zindler is 80 and has a lifetime contract with channel 13. I've met him on two different occasions, in daylight, and he was a complete asshole both times. Bluehair thinks he's a god.

Jeff Alm...I've lived here all of my life, complete sports junkie, and this is the first time I've heard this. Dayum, that's sick/sad.

drapg
01-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by LonghornFan
For the person wondering what Jeffries is doing, I believe he was coaching a team in the womens football league?

Correct. Last I heard he was coaching the Houston Energy of the Women's Professional Football League (WPFL). Its the same league that fields the Austin Rage.

moomoo
01-09-2003, 11:51 PM
It's JEFFIRES, dammit! J-E-F-F-I-R-E-S!! Jef - fires!

:)

Jeff
01-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Kam
I like him too. He seems swell, but he took Craig Roberts job.

I remember seeing him on the home and garden channel talking about grass.

He didn't take Roberts' job. Channel 2 was trimming their payroll and Roberts had a big fat contract. Wragge was cheaper.

drapg
01-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by moomoo
It's JEFFIRES, dammit! J-E-F-F-I-R-E-S!! Jef - fires!

http://www.pencorse.freeserve.co.uk/bart5.gif

Don't have a cow man!

Kam
01-10-2003, 12:15 AM
He didn't take Roberts' job. Channel 2 was trimming their payroll and Roberts had a big fat contract. Wragge was cheaper.

Wragge is willing to work for peanuts.

Roberts deserves thay cash.

I wonder if Chris Wragge reads this bbs.

austinite
01-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Speaking of Wragge, I worked at Barton Creek in Austin and he was staying there with his wife who is a playboy model. I think it was Sylvia Saint, and yes she is hot! But just so people know he is a complete asshole who doesn't tip worth a crap and thinks he deserves more attention than anybody else.

giddyup
01-10-2003, 04:57 AM
What about Warren Moon? I've heard some stuff about his ex-girlfriend.

I heard the Alm stuff right after it happened. Why else would he kill himself? Hey, it happened in "The World According to Garp."

VooDooPope
01-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by austinite
I think it was Sylvia Saint, and yes she is hot!

uhhh, Sylivia Saint is not a playboy model... she's a hard core porn star. :eek:

pgabriel
01-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by B-Bob
They didn't wreck, and they're both still intact, so no harm, no foul. I don't judge their lifestyles.

But now that I think about it, maybe Hampton's career has been in a nose dive because he misses Bagwell. :eek:

That's hillarious. Seriously, I always thought Hampton was living an alternative lifestyle. Speaking of Astros, did anyone seriously not suspect that Caminati was on the juice or blow? Did you ever hear him give an interview, I thought he was high everytime I heard him talk.

TheHorns
01-10-2003, 10:52 AM
...my father is a physician, my stepmothers were all nurses...

go pops go!!!

Some like him, but I have also heard the polar opposite from a couple local people.

Originally posted by LonghornFan
who favored pickles...Frank Billingsly

He is a rugged man... wanna go camping????

http://www.frankbillingsley.com/images/frank_in_jacket_main.jpg

Originally posted by Deckard
[B]I've seen pictures of Jeff B's wife before

No wonder he hit 30 points lower when she dumped him in '96. He met her (SHOCKER) at The Men's Club, was dumped and then re-married her.

FOOTNOTE:
The reason the Astros traded Cammi in '94 was a result of the party lifestyle (another shocker) and him along with Craig and Jeff were known to be out on the town. If you remember, Craig was actually stopped for DUI the year before Cammi was traded.

How can a thread "Houston stories- Fact or Fiction?" go this long without a Warren Moon story?

Plane crash with his mistress who was prego?

Lexus intended for his girlfriend was delivered, when he was not there, to his home and his wife was there to receive it?

There are a couple of first hand accounts that I have of the "NFL Man of the Year". He was known to have a couple of suites at what is now the JW Marriott and there were some quite interesting gatherings.

mateo
01-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Jose Lima had a lot of high school gals that hung around him, one was my coworker's daughter. She had his cell phone number and used to fly to Montreal and FL to watch games with him (on his tab, of course)

Something had to be up with that.

MadMax
01-10-2003, 12:04 PM
I always heard it was Bucky Richardson who stepped in on Bagwell's wife.

everytime i hear warren moon stories i plug my ears and scream so i can't hear them any longer...some things i'd rather not know.

Smokey
01-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Bucky cheated on his wife :(

That's gotta suck.

RocketMan Tex
01-10-2003, 12:11 PM

BIGTIME.

I can't count the number of times I've seen Dave Ward fall off of a barstool at Kay's Lounge.

MadMax
01-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
Bucky cheated on his wife :(

That's gotta suck.

i don't know that for sure...just what i was always told about the situation. that would have been a while back now, too...about 96??

Another Brother
01-10-2003, 12:52 PM
http://www.shaunebagwell.com/

Nice site...

Did Warren Moon's girlfriend get killed in a plane crash after admitting that she was pregnant?

drapg
01-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Nooooooo!!!!!

Warren Moon was my childhood idol! I refuse listen to stories about him. It would ruin my teenage years for me!

MadMax
01-10-2003, 01:12 PM
http://www.shaunebagwell.com/

Nice site...

Did Warren Moon's girlfriend get killed in a plane crash after admitting that she was pregnant?

plugging ears....LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!

Buck Turgidson
01-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by RocketMan Tex
I can't count the number of times I've seen Dave Ward fall off of a barstool at Kay's Lounge.
Same here...I miss Eldon, even though he was a bastard sometimes.

Oh...here's some pics of Wragge's woman:

http://www.celebritycd.com/victoriasilvstedt/

Another Brother
01-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson

Oh...here's some pics of Wragge's woman:

http://www.celebritycd.com/victoriasilvstedt/

I hate to say it but, in 10 years she's gonna have a show on E!

drapg
01-10-2003, 01:21 PM

WOW! She's hot!

by the way, I'm playing "Sports Jeopardy" now. Anyone interested. Anyone, anyone? Bueller????

Oh, that's right, you all have jobs! :p

Rocketman95
01-10-2003, 01:23 PM

WOW! She's hot!

by the way, I'm playing "Sports Jeopardy" now. Anyone interested. Anyone, anyone? Bueller????

Oh, that's right, you all have jobs! :p

Give me an hour. I'll be there for you to kick my ass. If I remember. :p

drapg
01-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Rocketman95
Give me an hour. I'll be there for you to kick my ass. If I remember. :p

sounds good.

B-ball freak
01-10-2003, 01:37 PM
I met Warren Moon once - complete a-hole! My band was doing the MTV sports festival and we were in the green room (tent) with him. One of my boys was trying to talk to him - small talk, nothing obnoxious - and the dude literally pretended we were not there.

If you are easily grossed out, read no further

As far as the Alm thing goes, I also heard that said friend was in a dress. I tend not to believe this, it's typical of an urban legend exaggeration. I also heard that the part of Jeff Alm that stayed with the friend was only in liquid form. Might explain the erratic driving.

Rocketman95
01-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Nevermind drapg...just got a lunch invitation from RM95's Girl. Maybe this afternoon sometime.

drapg
01-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Rocketman95
Nevermind drapg...just got a lunch invitation from RM95's Girl. Maybe this afternoon sometime.

Cool. You know where I'll be. :D :(

SKJ
01-10-2003, 02:02 PM
I've heard all the above stories, but not in a while! It's nice to think back though:) I remember Ernest Givens actually adressing the issue in an interview....says he's not.

and for the record Chris Wragge's wife is Victoria Silvstedt (absolutely amazing)!!

Summer Song Giver
01-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by SKJ
I remember Ernest Givens actually wearing a dress in an interview

Damn that's cold you shouldn't be spreading unfounded rumors:mad:

:D

Kam
01-10-2003, 02:24 PM
How did NBC pick up Wragge for the Winter Olympics?

mateo
01-10-2003, 02:26 PM
My company locked me outta Ms. Bagwell's site also. PC Nazis.

Smokey
01-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Where did Ch. 2 find Cindy Garza? Was it when they were investigating strip clubs? She's pretty hot for a reporter.

RocketMan Tex
01-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
[/url]

Eldon used to serve me beer at Kay's when I was 15 years old. It was cool back in the day to be 15 and be able to order beer in a bar. That's why I became a regular.

I heard Eldon's health is starting to deteriorate pretty rapidly.

One time, about 3 years ago, I was in there on a Saturday night, sitting next to Dave Ward at the bar. He had already downed a few. We were talking, and then an older woman, whose looks had seen better days, probably in her 50s but dressed like she thought she was a 20 year old hottie, walked into the bar. Dave Ward stopped talking and stared at the woman, following her with his eyes all the way to the back of the place by the jukebox. He then turned back to me and apologized. "Sorry about that" he said. "She looked like my 3rd wife".

TheHorns
01-10-2003, 05:12 PM

She was a well known local "model" and there was the rumor that she was pregnant prior to the crash. The day the crash occurred, people started talking about a conspiracy.

He was out on a regular basis at the old Crush Bar, and he had blondes arriving with him regularly .

note: these were not girls from Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Houston.

To this day I laugh at the hypocrisy of that man. NFL Man of the year and doing what he was doing. True he did many wonderful things off the field for the community, and he also did many women in the community.

Originally posted by Kam

I wish they would pick him up and take him out of town. I will trade Wragge for Hannah Storm (not that she is attractive) any day. He is an arrogant little prick. But credit where credit is due, he is getting to sleep with a pretty nice looking woman.

Buck Turgidson
01-10-2003, 05:12 PM
15? Man, I had to bum rides from older kids to go to a c-store on Long Point to get a beer back then. You were cool.

Great story about Ward, I've had a few with him, he's a really nice guy.

mateo
01-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Anyone here throw down with Rudy? Used to see him at The Pig and at the Gingerman after games. He was no amateur at slinging the pints back, and not bad at darts, either. Really cool guy to drink with, but I respect his choice to quit.

TheHorns
01-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by mateo
Anyone here throw down with Rudy? Used to see him at The Pig and at the Gingerman after games. He was no amateur at slinging the pints back, and not bad at darts, either. Really cool guy to drink with, but I respect his choice to quit.

Another good one, didn't he run his Range Rover into a tree either in West U or off Braeswood?

Another Brother
01-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by mateo

I had a beer with he and Eddie Sefko at a bar in Galveston during one training camp. He was really cool, bought me beer!

TheHorns
01-10-2003, 07:33 PM
I had a beer with he and Eddie Sefko at a bar in Galveston during one training camp. He was really cool, bought me beer!

I call bull sh!t on that one. Journalist (especially sports) do not drink:rolleyes:

Those were the days. Galveston training camps = Champs

Another Brother
01-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by TheHorns
I call bull sh!t on that one. Journalist (especially sports) do not drink:rolleyes:

Those were the days. Galveston training camps = Champs

You must know Ken Hoffman!

Jeff McShan and I used to tear it up pretty good, he is a REALLY good guy. LUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVS black women!

TheHorns
01-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Another Brother

Hell, that was back when you drank... well until you were on stage a couple weeks back.

Jeff McShan and I used to tear it up pretty good, he is a REALLY good guy. LUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVS black women!

No BS I used to see him at the Astros games before he left 2 and then a little bit after, and he always struck me as being a pretty cool guy.

Another Brother
01-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TheHorns
Hell, that was back when you drank... well until you were on stage a couple weeks back.

Calm down Mannix, I never stopped drinking, I stopped getting drunk.

Rocketman95
01-10-2003, 08:33 PM

Until I hand you your ass in NTN!

Free Agent
01-11-2003, 10:34 AM

I don't know about the gay thing but I had always heard he was a convicted pedophile...from a number of people. How can he possibly be on tv if that is true?

Free Agent
01-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Kam

I don't know about that but this was in the Chronicle yesterday in David Barron's column:

USA Network at 10 a.m. Sunday premieres PGA Tour Sunday, which will air live 49 weeks each year from tournament sites. KPRC (Channel 2) sports director Chris Wragge has signed on as a feature reporter along with Gabrielle Reece, Dara Torres and analyst John Cook.

AroundTheWorld
01-11-2003, 10:40 AM

Why the hell would you do that? Isn't that the whole point of drinking? ;)

Free Agent
01-11-2003, 12:48 PM
I hate to say it but, in 10 years she's gonna have a show on E!

I've seen her on E! already. Many "Wild On" shows and a few appearances on Howard Stern. Seems like a nice lady. She was also in this bad movie:

http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/201293.jpg

Rocketman95
01-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Free Agent
http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/201293.jpg

That movie rocks.

"Welcome to El Matador. That's Spanish for The Matador."

:D

Nook
03-14-2013, 02:16 AM
I wish they would pick him up and take him out of town. I will trade Wragge for Hannah Storm (not that she is attractive) any day. He is an arrogant little prick. But credit where credit is due, he is getting to sleep with a pretty nice looking woman.
He isn't sleeping with him anymore. She cheated on him, they separated and for all intents and purposes are no longer a couple... Wait and yeh shall receive.. Wragge is no longer in Houston and sans the Playboy wife.

updawg
03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Wow, talk about a thread bump. Interesting thread though

mlaitkep
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
How do you pronounce Kuykendahl?

Fyreball
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM

Kerr-Ken-Doll

SwoLy-D
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
KURR-ken-dawl :o

TreeRollins
03-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Is it true that Mattress Mac is a cokehead?
How about Tilman Fertitta having mob connections?

mvpcrossxover
03-14-2013, 06:31 PM
necro bump for the win

RedRedemption
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
necro bum for the win

Freudian Slip? :eek:

Agent94
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM

I don't know about that, but I have heard that he got the money to start up Gallery Furniture by selling drugs.

mvpcrossxover
03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Freudian Slip? :eek:

lol fixed

IBTL
03-14-2013, 11:27 PM

yeah I have heard the fertitta mob stuff. Heard some funny stories not sure if worth sharing here.

I also heard the matress mac coke one. Also heard about mattress mac swindling bunch of people in dallas then escaping with the dough.

One of my buddies claimed to smoke with mario elie.
I know another guy who claims he did coke with bagwell.

Yes looking back on it, I think kathy whitmire was gay. Wheres that 'that's a fact jack guy' at btw? That c&d scrap guy looks like he burns too.

FranchiseBlade
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
I think at the time she was mayor there were a lot of rumors that Whitmire was gay.

She may or may not be, but I think back then any woman, who was strong enough to run the city of Houston and had that ambition would have had those rumors spread about her whether they are true or not. I never heard any evidence to support the claim that she was.

I think now, she probably wouldn't have the same rumor mill scenario with her sexual preference.

ds888
03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Wouldn't be surprised about the Tilman Fertitta rumors. His family has a lot of ties to Las Vegas (his cousins own the Station casinos and Zuffa/UFC).

IBTL -- I'd be interested in hearing some stories, if you're willing to share.

Tonaaayyyy
03-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Very true. I met him a couple of years ago when he held a charity golf tournament back in Houston (when working in New York). Genuinely nice and I doubt that he is gay.

Poloshirtbandit
03-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Wheres that 'that's a fact jack guy' at btw?

I just saw a newer (I think?) commercial with him last weekend. But I hadn't seen any commercials on him in a while.

Blake
03-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Don't know about him being a cokehead, but did hear that he started GF with drug money years ago...no clue to the validity of that

Regarding TF, there was a allegedly lot of mob connected Fertitta's in Galveston related to TF. Whether or not he actually ever did business with them is another story...no clue.

Definitely believe the Ernest Givens and Jeff Alm stories.

Warren Moon was a total hound...a cousin of mine used to work at a Lexus dealership in the 90's and he would always come in and ask her out, though she always declined. I'm sure Felicia was thrilled about his behavior, hence the divorce.

I know two people who claim to have done blow with Bagwell when he was married to his first wife Shaune, who was apparently a total cokehead.

htownrox1
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM

My dad went to high school with Fertitta in Galveston, and believe me I've asked him a few times the same question.

The answer I always get: what do you think?!

K mf G
03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
matress mac and chuck norris were supposed to be running buddies,
mac got caught as part of his community service he had to do some outreach, he came to my fifth grade school and talked about the "monkey on his back" i took that literally

jeff alm- my cousin was a wrecker driver at the time and was at the scene i could never get a straight answer out of him as to what happened but my brother told me it was true, not sure if he got it out of my cousin or not

pgabriel
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
interesting bump. on bagwell and hampton its funny the other day matt and adam were saying these guys have limited access to women during the season. i don't know, these guys are celebrities

BullFan
03-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Did a one-legged stripper actually dance at the pink pussycat on Richmond?

Nook
03-16-2013, 07:25 AM
interesting bump. on bagwell and hampton its funny the other day matt and adam were saying these guys have limited access to women during the season. i don't know, these guys are celebrities

Moises Alou and Jeff Bagwell were legendary together... Lets just say that.

Nook
03-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Yes.. I don't want to talk about it.

Nook
03-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Moises Alou and Jeff Bagwell were legendary together... Lets just say that.

Edit.

Legendary with the ladies.

Blake
03-16-2013, 09:57 AM

No. It was a one-armed girl. I know a dirtbag who slept with her!

jarod1005
12-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Was Dominique Sachse ever involved with any athlete from the Oilers, Rockets, or Astros?

What about Courtney Zavala? Shara Fryer?

Some of the news ladies are just too sexy to be a journalistic nerd.