1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football trade help

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by VesceySux, Aug 27, 2002.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm not in a FFB league with you losers, but that won't stop me from talking some football with you, in a general sense at least. I sincerely hope this is the right place for this thread...

I've been offered an intriguing trade, and I need some help.

What I've been offered:
    Anthony Thomas & Jimmy Smith

What I'd be giving up:
    David Boston & William Green

My (partial) roster:
    RB - S. Alexander, E. George, W. Green, D. Staley
    WR - D. Boston, T. Brown, E. McCaffrey, M. Robinson, A. Bryant

His (partial) roster:
    RB - P. Holmes, L. Tomlinson, A. Thomas, T.J. Duckett, M. Anderson
    WR - J. Smith, K. Johnson (CLE), D. Alexander, D. Stallworth, B. Schroeder

Assume point system for RB and WR is equal.

This guy happens to be my *cough* mentor and ex-editor (now a brand manager of football), and by chance, I play him in week 1. Why is that important? I expect Jimmy Smith to come back, but not for the first week. So, I think I can beat him without his #1 WR. On paper, this trade favors me. But, factor in the serious holdout by Smith, and I'd be taking a major gamble. If Smith doesn't play at all, I'd be screwed. A Train is a definite upgrade to Willie Green, and Boston has a slight edge over Smith.

So... What do you think? I haven't decided either way.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think Jimmy Smith will be back. It sounds pretty bad. He feels like the team screwed him. He took less money to help the team and then they stabbed him in the back. If he plays you've got a steal. Plus William Green may not even start. It's a gamble on your part.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Smith was offered to the Eagles. He may just play with McNabb.

4. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

If you took that deal, you'd be getting alotta fantasy points in return.. i dont know how your league is done (how many RB's, WR's start).. if you did take the deal and Jimmy/A-Train started that'd be real good

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

You called us losers, so I'm going to give you bad advice:

Don't do the trade.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

How is A-Train an upgrade over Green? Have you seen Green play? Keep Green.

Even if Smith does return, the Jags suck. They lost most of their offensive line. Brunell might last 1 qtr this season. Stay away from all Jags.

If you make this trade you have no one to blame but yourself.

7. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

Ok A-Train is a BIG upgrade over Green..
    Green is good, but he wont get near as many touches as Train, and thomas has a sweet o-line and is a better RB.. he is a huge upgrade.. if Smith goes to another team(which will prob happen) do the deal

8. BobFinn*

You're certainly one to be giving out advice, aren't you?

9. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

And why can't I?

I think my knowledge of Football is above yours.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

At first thought I'd say don't do the trade. You are pretty deep at RB, and unless you have to start more than 2 RB's you're in pretty good shape. Even if Jimmy Smith did play, Boston would likely out-perform him anyway. Green and Smith are both risks, Boston and A-train are pretty solid...if Smith comes out of the holdout, the trade would be pretty even...but if he doesn't, you're better off with Boston and Green.

11. BobFinn*

:rolleyes:

yawn

12. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

if you're reffering to that league that Smeg ran, than i laugh at you. in All my other leagues i have very deep teams, the reason i did poor in smegs was because i wasnt there. so hush

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

must take a pile of knowledge to Not show up and Give UP

14. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

what ever.. i gave up.. my team sucked

We have already come across that so i won't argue that, but that has nothing to do with my knowledge because i was there for maybe 3 picks

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hey! Look, I don't care who's knowledge is greater. I get PAID to be a so-called football expert, so quit jacking my thread! (And yes, I see the irony in asking others for football opinions.)

What BobFinn* said does makes sense about the Jags O-line, but I still think Smith will get his yards... if he plays. The Jags will fall behind early and often, forcing them to throw the ball more than they'd like to. Smith will be the beneficiary of that strategy (unless you really think Bobby Shaw/Patrick Johnson is the answer there...). As for Willie Green, he's just unproven. Granted, I drafted him on potential alone (and I HAVE seen him practice in person), but I feel A Train will have a better year (as a vital threat of the offensive attack). As sad as it seems, Green's trade value is high right now because he's an unknown. If he comes out in week 1 (assuming he even starts) and rushes for 36 yards on 15 carries, I doubt the trade will still be on the table.

In the end, though, I'm leaning towards nixing this trade. I like my RBs and my WRs, and I'd rather focus on upgrading my QBs (which consist of Griese, McNair, and Jim Miller -- yikes!).

Any other thoughts?