1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zijie Shen, 16 year old 7 footer, another big kid out of china

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yaodynasty, Aug 6, 2014.

1. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

Shen played at the 2014 Adidas Gauntlet in Orlando and Indianapolis. He played for the 16U Game Elite from Atlanta, GA coached by Darrell Brown. Rumor says Kansas wants to recruit him.

Here are a couple youtube highlights I found. The kid dominated the game. Can shoot, block, dribble, pass. Nice foot work. Has power dunks too.

[youtube]PyK6-HB4o3I[/youtube]

[youtube]iArgIuprEKA[/youtube]

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I miss Yao.

3. supdudes

supdudes Member

What about Wang Zhelin, Li MuHao, and Zhou Qi?

They all have potential to be stars in this Center-lacking league.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

where are all these guys coming from. i was in shang hai recently and i dont recall seeing any tall people really.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

As long as he doesn't poop in public he'll do fine

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Whatever happened to Wang Zhelin? He tore up the Nike Summit(?) a couple of years ago I think as a 7foot teenager.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

remind me of yi kinda

but it seems like when they hit their 20's they haven't really exceled their game to an NBA level

yao was truly special

8. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

This kid looks much thicker than Yi. He looks more like Yao than Yi.

Yi's major problem was his skinny frame which hindered his development to become a legitimate post player in the NBA.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yi's major problem was his **** work ethic and attitude.

10. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

That's exactly my point. Yi did not have the work ethic to hit the weight room. That's why he had failed to develop to become a legitimate post player. He played more and more like a perimeter player as his NBA career went down the drain.

On the contrary, look how much bigger Yao had become after he joined the NBA. Everyone could tell it was the result of him being a weight room rat.

Anyway, my point is that this kid's frame looks more like Yao than Yi already.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Point taken, but yao even from a young age had a very developed lower body. there was a pic taken on reddit (ceebs finding it), but even at 18 he had tree trunk legs, once his upper body got up to speed he was a force.

By all accounts, Yi did not give a crap about the game and was content just getting paid.

12. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

I have to admit that when I clicked on the link, I was ready to be underwhelmed. That was pretty impressive for a U16 player by any standard. I'll keep an eye out for this kid if/when he hits the NCAA.

13. StevieCrossover

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah dude, I think Yi's problem was that he really failed to understand how to play like a role player. I remember watching him in the Chinese national team 2 years ago, he put on a lot of muscle mass and was doing really well in international competition even against Spain and US.

But you could see his style of play relied on him getting the ball a lot and iso'ing in the high and low post. When he didn't get those touches in the NBA, he really didn't do what role players were suppose to do, which was banging in the key for rebounds and play hardnosed defense and spotting up when he had to. I remember the last few years of his NBA career in Dallas, when he did get playing time he would never even step a foot inside the key offense or defense, all he did was jack up long 2's.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yi was talented no doubt, there were flashes of being a solid player but like you said, the things that get marginal players playing time, defense/rebounding/scrapping, wasn't really there from him. I remembered him going insane against spain (gasols/ibaka) and wondered why he wasn't able to replicate that more in the NBA. But speaks to your point about how he struggled to adjust to not getting the touches in the areas he liked.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He's a lefty too... You better believe Murrey is already high on him.

Get it done Murrey... I need a something to fill the void in my heart of YAO.

17. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

In that first video is that pearland high school?

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Whoa, beginning of the 2nd video. Did I just see a 16 year-old 7ft Chinese kid do a euro-step?

19. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Did you watch both videos? In the 2nd video, the big guys of the other team are about at the same size as him.

20. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

It sure looked like it. I don't know many highschools that have the same logo,color scheme, and oilers as a mascot