1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mattress] Affordable Alternative to the Tempur-Pedic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 31, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm looking to buy a new king size mattress asap and I definitely want to go the memory foam route. I'd love a Tempur-Pedic but they just seem very over-priced.

I know all about how you spend a third of you life in your bed so you should have the best one possible, but spending 5K on a mattress just seems INSANE to me. I can't believe a Tempur-Pedic is 4K better than another brand of memory foam.

Any suggestions on a good memory foam mattress and/or mattress topper combo that would be as good as a Tempur-Pedic?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We got the cheapest king size that Tempurpedic makes, which I think ran us about $2,300 a few years ago. It was the best investment we've made, totally worth it. That may still be more than you want to spend, but just wanted to let you know that you don't have to spend 5k. We got it at Rooms 2 Go when they were doing a no interest for 2 years deal.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While the Tempur-pedics may be expensive, I don't consider them over-priced. I think a better question to ask is what is the difference between the $1500 Tempur-Pedic mattress and the $5000+ Tempur-Pedic mattress.

5. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

My uncle found a guy through eBay based in LA that sells Tempurpedic mattresses at a discounted price. My parents bought two Twin XL Rhapsody mattresses (split King) for $3,800 (sells for $5,000 in store). Only catch is he can't honor the 20 year warranty since he's not an "authorized retailer" - let me know if you want his contact info.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Thats what I have and couldn't be more happy. King size for a grand with free bed frame and a memory foam pillow. OOH AHH.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OYVmq_hR_As" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Nah, the topper is just a cheaper alternative (around $150).

The mattresses run about $450, they're not meant to be paired with the toppers. They're essentially the same thing as a topper, just thicker. (typically 4" of memory foam on top of 7" of non-memory style foam)

It just depends on your budget and needs. I have a super firm regular mattress that I put my 3" topper on. Its a great combo. If I had a softer mattress, I'd likely need to replace it, as the topper is fairly smushy. That is one thing about tempur-pedic that can't be beat, those mattresses are SUPER dense.

9. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

The mattress I bought had a thick memory foam integrated into the mattress.

10. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

One easy way to save money on a tempur-pedic is to the a percription from a Chiropractor. If you bring Mattres Firm the perscription they cut out the tax. Saves a quick 8%.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Was there not a poster here that had a mattress selling web site or store? Or am I misremembering?

12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Here's a few that are on sale:

Sealy Ceremony Mattress

1" SuperSoft Sealy Foam
    2 layers of Sealy Foam
    FlameGuard top layer

Not sure if that works for you though.

Kohl's website is a good place to try.

They always have codes you can put in to save some money, and quite often give Kohl's cash. I know they recently had a 30% offer, and for every $50 you spend, you get $10 Kohl's cash back, offer. Right now you can use the code "pickyourday" to save 15%.

I'm not sure how much cheaper it is, but you could always try Ebay.

I've highly considered getting a Tempurpedic, but the price just keeps pushing me away. For the warranty and quality, it seems like it could be worth it though, and I think they offer a lot of 0% interest deals. Don't they also have a 90 day free trial offer?

I will probably just end up getting a 3" or so top, at least until I feel like I need a new mattress, then I'll splurge and get a Tempurpedic. Of course, if I somehow run across a great deal before then, I'll probably jump on it.

Pugs

Edit: How to buy a Tempurpedic

Edit2: Craigslist couldn't hurt either. If you're buying from an individual, make sure they have a receipt to prove it's real and the age.

#12 pugsly8422, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Got a king memory foam mattress on overstock.com for $650. We've had it a year and love it. Everything at overstock is $1 shipping, which is important since this thing weighed a metric ton.

14. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

This is a boldfaced lie.

It's 8.25%.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

One word: Overstock.

Paid $375 for my queen size and I couldn't be happier.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

My wife and I both have had a history of back troubles. We did a 30 day try on the Tempur-Pedic and hated it. We both tend to toss/turn a bit and we found that with the Tempur-Pedic, it tends to suck you into the position it forms around your body and when you turn over, it can be a bit uncomfortable for a few while the memory foam readjusts.

We tried a Sleep Number bed and never looked back. Was much cheaper (much cheaper), and our backs have been better for it.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Get Latex, you won't regret it. Expensive, but worth it.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Agreed. :eek:

Signed,

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

We just got one of those. I am looking forward to using it tonight. We got our boy a latex mattress and it is definitely better than the average mattress.