1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How far can you trace your lineage?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm at a family reunion in West Texas (Midland/Odessa), and some of my older cousins have traced our lineage back to 1815, when my ancestors were slaves in Tennessee. I'm amazed because they actually have a picture of the slaveowners....where that side of my family got their last name from (maternal side). So it made me curious to see how far others can go back. I think being able to backtrack to the slaveowners is about as good as you can get for a black family, unless you are writing Roots, lol.

Does anyone else have some good stories to tell and how was your history recorded....or how did ya find it?

1 person likes this.
  2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i'm related to adam and eve...

1 person likes this.
  3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I'm related to some old dude that was king of Thailand.

1 person likes this.
  4. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

As far as i could throw my b*stard self.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I'll answer seriously.

I can trace three lines of my family tree to pre-revolutionary war... one line goes back to the mid 1600's. The fourth line, my mother's maternal line I can't get past where they moved to the US from Germany in the late 1800's

I am a DAR - Daughter of the American Revolution.

1 person likes this.
  6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

all i know is that i can trace my grandfather back to spain circa the 1740's

1 person likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

1 person likes this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Back to your mom.

Sorry, no, I humped her good...no children came of it.

9. ILoveTheRockets

can trace mine to the early days of france.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Gallic?

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Watched a program years ago on PBS called African American Lives that had black celebrity guests and traced their ancestry They'd usually have slave roots to Africa, and they'd fly the celebrity to the African city & village of their ancestry. It was pretty neat. Some of the celebs probably felt compelled to put on an image like they really cared maybe...but you could see even a guy like Chris Tucker that it was a truly humbling experience. Oprah was all into it and appreciative. Forget the guest but he was all Mr Pro Black back to Africa type and 90% of his ancestry was in Europe lol.

One of the best talks with my grandmother (RIP) was I asked her how far back we went. Got far back as great great great grandmother 1800's Ireland.

1 person likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Much of my far back ancestry, and history thereof, disappeared in the Holocaust. That said, I do have a family tree on my mother's side that goes back to the late 1800's. And I do have the actual immigration paper work for when my grandfather on my fathers side came through Ellis Island in the teens...bot nothing before that.

1 person likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Eric the red.

;)

DD

1 person likes this.
  14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

My uncle has the fathers' names on my mom's side of the family all the way back to 1300 AD.

1 person likes this.
  15. Southern Select

I can go back to my GGG Grandfather who died in 1850. He was a sea captain who was the original owner of the famous Loyd steamship line and also supposedly built the first log cabin in Chicago. He voyaged his ship to the Republic of Texas, after finding a wife (who as a child was a flower girl at the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1819) in New Orleans. They married in Galveston in 1842. My GG Grandfather was born there later that year.

The family soon moved to Tehuacana, TX then Ellis where he built the first jailhouse in Liberty County and a water mill in partnership with General Tarrant.

He went off during the gold rush, got sick and died.

His wife was left with the kids and had to use weapons to fight off Indians from her front door. She gained their respect and would cook for many Indian Chiefs in her home.

Their daughter married a close friend of Davy Crockett.

I stay ever loyal to their independent spirit.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wow, that's amazing.

Gotta love the Internet. I did a simple google search and traced the slavemasters family back to the 1600s, and there is a website with tons of contact info for those who helped put that together. I think I will reach out to some to see if they have any more records. Worth a shot....

17. Fatty FatBastard

And Noah.

Everyone always forgets about Noah.

18. Fatty FatBastard

Well, up until my mother, her ancestry was extremely well documented and it was massively frowned upon to marry anyone who was not British.

So I'm the first of the "mutt" generation on my mom's side.

But I'm a direct descendant of Oliver Cromwell.

19. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The really cool thing about it is that these names weren't found on the Internet all, but were just kept track of from generation to generation. It was also really interesting to see that my ancestors from the 1300's lived in the same region of Punjab (India/Pakistan) as my grandfather did.