PDA

View Full Version : How far can you trace your lineage?

Icehouse
08-09-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm at a family reunion in West Texas (Midland/Odessa), and some of my older cousins have traced our lineage back to 1815, when my ancestors were slaves in Tennessee. I'm amazed because they actually have a picture of the slaveowners....where that side of my family got their last name from (maternal side). So it made me curious to see how far others can go back. I think being able to backtrack to the slaveowners is about as good as you can get for a black family, unless you are writing Roots, lol.

Does anyone else have some good stories to tell and how was your history recorded....or how did ya find it?

vstexas09
08-09-2009, 02:45 AM
i'm related to adam and eve...

dkoune
08-09-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm related to some old dude that was king of Thailand.

jcee15
08-09-2009, 02:52 AM
As far as i could throw my bastard self.

Hayesfan
08-09-2009, 03:04 AM
I'll answer seriously.

I can trace three lines of my family tree to pre-revolutionary war... one line goes back to the mid 1600's. The fourth line, my mother's maternal line I can't get past where they moved to the US from Germany in the late 1800's

I am a DAR - Daughter of the American Revolution.

SWTsig
08-09-2009, 03:24 AM
all i know is that i can trace my grandfather back to spain circa the 1740's

Dr of Dunk
08-09-2009, 03:25 AM
My Y-chromosome DNA results identified me as belonging to haplogroup R1a1. That haplogroup traces its ancestry back anywhere from 10,000-15,000 or more years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R1a1
http://www.dadamo.com/wiki/wiki.pl/Haplogroup_R1a1_(Y-DNA)

My peeps may have been the first to domesticate the horse. I feel honored. ;) I need to do my mtDNA test eventually.

Jugdish
08-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Back to your mom.

Sorry, no, I humped her good...no children came of it.

ILoveTheRockets
08-09-2009, 04:05 AM
can trace mine to the early days of france.

Jugdish
08-09-2009, 04:07 AM
can trace mine to the early days of france.

Gallic?

Shroopy2
08-09-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm at a family reunion in West Texas (Midland/Odessa), and some of my older cousins have traced our lineage back to 1815, when my ancestors were slaves in Tennessee. I'm amazed because they actually have a picture of the slaveowners....where that side of my family got their last name from (maternal side). So it made me curious to see how far others can go back. I think being able to backtrack to the slaveowners is about as good as you can get for a black family, unless you are writing Roots, lol.

Does anyone else have some good stories to tell and how was your history recorded....or how did ya find it?
Watched a program years ago on PBS called African American Lives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Lives) that had black celebrity guests and traced their ancestry They'd usually have slave roots to Africa, and they'd fly the celebrity to the African city & village of their ancestry. It was pretty neat. Some of the celebs probably felt compelled to put on an image like they really cared maybe...but you could see even a guy like Chris Tucker that it was a truly humbling experience. Oprah was all into it and appreciative. Forget the guest but he was all Mr Pro Black back to Africa type and 90% of his ancestry was in Europe lol.

One of the best talks with my grandmother (RIP) was I asked her how far back we went. Got far back as great great great grandmother 1800's Ireland.

JayZ750
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Much of my far back ancestry, and history thereof, disappeared in the Holocaust. That said, I do have a family tree on my mother's side that goes back to the late 1800's. And I do have the actual immigration paper work for when my grandfather on my fathers side came through Ellis Island in the teens...bot nothing before that.

DaDakota
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Eric the red.

;)

DD

s land balla
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
My uncle has the fathers' names on my mom's side of the family all the way back to 1300 AD.

Southern Select
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I can go back to my GGG Grandfather who died in 1850. He was a sea captain who was the original owner of the famous Loyd steamship line and also supposedly built the first log cabin in Chicago. He voyaged his ship to the Republic of Texas, after finding a wife (who as a child was a flower girl at the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1819) in New Orleans. They married in Galveston in 1842. My GG Grandfather was born there later that year.

The family soon moved to Tehuacana, TX then Ellis where he built the first jailhouse in Liberty County and a water mill in partnership with General Tarrant.

He went off during the gold rush, got sick and died.

His wife was left with the kids and had to use weapons to fight off Indians from her front door. She gained their respect and would cook for many Indian Chiefs in her home.

Their daughter married a close friend of Davy Crockett.

I stay ever loyal to their independent spirit.

Icehouse
08-09-2009, 01:20 PM
My uncle has the fathers' names on my mom's side of the family all the way back to 1300 AD.

Wow, that's amazing.

Gotta love the Internet. I did a simple google search and traced the slavemasters family back to the 1600s, and there is a website with tons of contact info for those who helped put that together. I think I will reach out to some to see if they have any more records. Worth a shot....

Fatty FatBastard
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
i'm related to adam and eve...

And Noah.

Everyone always forgets about Noah.

Fatty FatBastard
08-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Eric the red.

;)

DD

Well, up until my mother, her ancestry was extremely well documented and it was massively frowned upon to marry anyone who was not British.

So I'm the first of the "mutt" generation on my mom's side.

But I'm a direct descendant of Oliver Cromwell.

bronxfan
08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I think I have got the prize on this one. Some relatives in India have gone all the way back to 600AD- about 50 generations - myself and my son are apparently somewhere on the tip of some leaf on that family tree in the picture... (of course India is very male dominated and so I think daughters weren't really included)

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=2&contentid=2008111120081111032502798ce7ede50&sectxslt=section&pageno=1

s land balla
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Wow, that's amazing.

Gotta love the Internet. I did a simple google search and traced the slavemasters family back to the 1600s, and there is a website with tons of contact info for those who helped put that together. I think I will reach out to some to see if they have any more records. Worth a shot....

The really cool thing about it is that these names weren't found on the Internet all, but were just kept track of from generation to generation. It was also really interesting to see that my ancestors from the 1300's lived in the same region of Punjab (India/Pakistan) as my grandfather did.

s land balla
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I think I have got the prize on this one. Some relatives in India have gone all the way back to 600AD- about 50 generations - myself and my son are apparently somewhere on the tip of some leaf on that family tree in the picture... (of course India is very male dominated and so I think daughters weren't really included)

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=2&contentid=2008111120081111032502798ce7ede50&sectxslt=section&pageno=1

Wow, you beat me there.

rimrocker
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
The first rimrocker in America shows up on a document that says he's in Virginia in 1635 making a living selling "horses and slaves." Before him, rimrockers go back at least to the 1200's in England and include a minor literary figure.

On my dad's mother's side, I'm related to the old west outlaw John Wesley Hardin, a man so mean he once shot a man for snoring. See more about him at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley_Hardin

Phillyrocket
08-09-2009, 02:36 PM
My sixth great uncle is Stephen F. Austin.

I have traced my mom's line back to the 1400 or 1500's to a ship called Besis I think that brought them over from England.

rimrocker
08-09-2009, 02:50 PM
My sixth great uncle is Stephen F. Austin.

I have traced my mom's line back to the 1400 or 1500's to a ship called Besis I think that brought them over from England.

Columbus sailed in 1492 and Jamestown was not until 1607.

Poloshirtbandit
08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
My great great grandfather on mom's side was a runaway slave from South Carolina, or so I'm told. No idea how he ended up in Texas. That about as far as I can go on either side.

AroundTheWorld
08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
On my German side, I can trace it back to about 1,100, but only because one of my distant relatives was really into genealogy and published a book with the family tree. Apparently one of my ancestors was very close to Martin Luther. Unfortunately, it seems like I also have some French aristocrats as ancestors ;). On the Korean side, I have no idea.

Landlord Landry
08-09-2009, 04:08 PM
my father lives in Ohio.

Kam
08-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm a first gen american.

I can trace my mom, and dad. After that, I don't really know my grand parents.

Lynus302
08-10-2009, 03:56 AM
My mom's side of the family is to the Mayflower and beyond to Scotland, England, and Wales. I still have cousins in the UK. My dad's side....no idea except for being Scots-Irish.

I'm not, but I could be, a Son of the American Revolution.

I'm at least a 4th generation Texan, which is really all the matters.

Mathloom
08-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Wow this is an interesting thread.

Apparently, other than bedouins, a lot of Arabs can trace their lineage back 1500+ years.

Jeremiah
08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Germany, 1600s. I also traced my wife back to England, 1200s. I'd suggest Family Tree Maker and a monthly subscription (which you can cancel) to anyone who's really interested. They have some really great resources- I found a scan of a portrait of my great-great-great-great grandfather, and then a picture of his son.

meggoleggo
08-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I haven't done the research myself, but my mom has told us several times that we are descendants of Abigail Adams - that's as far back as I know.

DonkeyMagic
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
in america...early - mid 1700.

I can't remember all the details someone traced the family back to France in the middle ages.

JuanValdez
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
My grandmother was born in 1918, so about then is as far as I personally know. I have some relatives on both sides who have done some geneology study, but I haven't looked at the results. My father has some stories about our ancestry but they're Texas tall-tales. My mother's geneology is, no doubt, just a long line of French farmers.

My wife has a more interesting geneology. Her mother's adoptive father was a minister in the Chang Kai-Shek government. The line traces back to Ming dynasty royalty allegedly. Meanwhile, her father's side are rust-belt blacks, probably descended from freed slaves who came north in the early 20th century. It's a funny match.

Tb-Cain
08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
My surname is of a territorial origin taken from lands in Scotland first appearing in documents in 1238.

I think my family has been successful in tracing our direct ancestors back to the late 1700's / early 1800's.

the futants
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Seventh generation Texan.

Invisible Fan
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Have no definite idea. At least one side of my family has roots in Taiwan for 7 or 8 generations.

I had a friend who said one of his ancestors was a royal eunich. I was thinking how??

blathersby
08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
My mother's maiden name is Villarreal.
We can trace our family back to Spain, when it was Cohen Villarreal before the Inquisition, and then to Belarus a looong time before that. So about 1200-1500 years?

A lot of that has to do with genetic tests. But direct tracing is tough. I know we can go back to the 1800s in (now) New Mexico, but I'm not sure how far beyond that we can go.

RocketRaccoon
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Interesting thread.

I don't have dates so I'll go with conversations.

My Grandfather was 1st generation Dutch from Holland. We're actually Black Dutch by way of Germany...German potato farmers went to Holland for better land along time ago.

My mother side is a bit different. I've heard different stories but haven't been able to meld them together.

Mom is a descendent of a princess who was married to a Samurai. ANother story that keeps popping up is our relationship with the city of Nagasaki, which happens to be my mom's maiden name. They say someone in our family was once ruled that city.

But, and if I may quote Jimi Hendrix, "Who Knows"

RedRedemption
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm related to Yao Ming.

justtxyank
08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I can trace my maternal lineage back to the planet Xenonphorocus, to a pair of Xenonites who were on the first mission to Earth to seed the planet with life many millions of years ago.

On my paternal side, I can only trace it back to King Arthur.

SwoLy-D
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
:o I can trace back my lineage to the Aztecs and the Mayans. Back in Mexico, there were settlers that moved over from the Northern part of Mexico and...

... ah, who am I kidding... I can't trace my lineage NONE. I was kidding! I'm a mixed mutt! :p

I'm related to Yao Ming.I think everyone on this board is. :o

Icehouse
08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Hmm, I was just told that the slavemasters that I have a picture of were actually my great-great grandfathers half brothers. Of course this is completely undocumented (as they are white and he wasn't), so I don't know it it's just a story or not.

Cool stories in here though. Keep em coming....

Prince
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't even know who my biological father is? :(

justtxyank
08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't even know who my biological father is? :(

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/sw5vader.jpg

DcProWLer277
08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I actually do genealogy and specialize in the Louisiana area. I've traced some parts of my family back to the 1200's in France, a few direct ancestors are noblehomme so yea it's a pretty interesting thing to do if you have the time.

DcProWLer277
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Anyone interested in looking up their own family on Ancestry.com for free can follow this link.

http://ancestrylibrary.proquest.com/aleweb/ale/do/login?userid=09MVKG32BH&password=WELCOME

Luckyazn
08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I think I'm related to this guy:

http://www.im.pwr.wroc.pl/~rweron/Tomek_www/ang/Genghis_-Khan_512x384.jpg

Genghis Khan, the fearsome Mongolian warrior of the 13th century, may have done more than rule the largest empire in the world; according to a recently published genetic study, he may have helped populate it too.

An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today.

AroundTheWorld
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone interested in looking up their own family on Ancestry.com for free can follow this link.

http://ancestrylibrary.proquest.com/aleweb/ale/do/login?userid=09MVKG32BH&password=WELCOME

Wow this is amazing - thanks! I found an original record of the passenger list of a ship that came from Germany to New York in 1922 and had my great grandfather on it as a passenger (he was the doctor/physician on the ship).

DcProWLer277
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow this is amazing - thanks! I found an original record of the passenger list of a ship that came from Germany to New York in 1922 and had my great grandfather on it as a passenger (he was the doctor/physician on the ship).

Yea it's really interesting stuff especially if you love history like I do. :D

basso
08-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I've traced my direct patrilinear line back to 1650, in Erlangen, Bavaria, and which point the trail stops. My dad's side of the family were French Hugenots, and after the St. Bart's day massacre in 1572 fled france. after settling in Bavaria, they moved north, and eventually settled in a Hugenot refugee colony in Fredericia, Jutland (Denmark). the colony was very insular, and most inhabitants intermarried, and stayed within the church, which kept excellent records.

they had very biblical sounding names, lots of Jakobs, and Issacs, and Johannes, but also french names such as Francois, Pierre, Corneille, and Jean-Rene. After WW1, my family left the colony and moved to Copenhagen, and my father emigrated to the US in 1955 to marry my mother in San Augustine, TX.

My mom's side of the family has been in this country since the 1600s, and emigrated from England. After living in Virginia for a time, they moved to southwest Georgia after the revolution. one of my best friends has traced his family back to the same area, and there's fairly good evidence my people used to own his people.

A branch of the family then moved to piney woods, red dirt, east texas, and my mom was born in Choice, TX. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Choice,+Texas&sll=32.033692,-84.392853&sspn=8.879441,10.733643&ie=UTF8&z=13&iwloc=A), where my Grandfather ran the general store and was a postman. They moved to San Augustine in the 1930s.

there were some pretty fabulous names on her side as well, such as Mirabeau Lamar, Sampson Marcellus. Mirabeau Lamar Carter was my great-grandfather, and his father, who'd stayed in Georgia, was named James Carter. James had a brother named Wiley Carter. Wiley's great-grandson was also named James, and this James had a son, named James as well, although he's more commonly referred to as Jimmy.

yuantian
08-10-2009, 10:30 PM
i think there is a family tree in clan base back in northern china. haven't looked at it yet though. other than that, the entire clan lineage is recorded on the 'grand history' written 2000 years ago. apparently, about 3000 years ago the entire clan changed name after given a piece of land in northern china. originally chen. not anymore after that.

aussie rocket
08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Adam and Eve bitches.

DcProWLer277
08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Anyone else have any interesting stories to tell?

weslinder
08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm adopted and have never met my biological parents. I'm convinced that I came from Krypton.

In my adopted family, my aunt (father's sister) has traced our lineage back to Germany in the 1750's. My ancestor Lewis Linder immigrated with his family to South Carolina and was executed for being a Tory during the Revolution. My brother has our maternal grandfather's paternal grandfather's discharge papers from the Union Army (Missouri, although he was from Arkansas) during the Civil War.

MoonDogg
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
there were some pretty fabulous names on her side as well, such as Mirabeau Lamar, Sampson Marcellus. Mirabeau Lamar Carter was my great-grandfather, and his father, who'd stayed in Georgia, was named James Carter. James had a brother named Wiley Carter. Wiley's great-grandson was also named James, and this James had a son, named James as well, although he's more commonly referred to as Jimmy.

I guess we're related then. My maternal grandmother has roots back to Jimmy.

My paternal roots end somewhere in Arkansas. The first mention of my great great grandfather was on the enlistment roster of the 19th Arkansas Regiment in 1861. Before that, there's nothing, absolutely no record.

DcProWLer277
08-11-2009, 01:08 PM

My paternal roots end somewhere in Arkansas. The first mention of my great great grandfather was on the enlistment roster of the 19th Arkansas Regiment in 1861. Before that, there's nothing, absolutely no record.

Try checking the censuses, there pretty useful if you haven't looked through them yet.

basso
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM

cool- do you know how your grandmother (and you) are related to "cousin Jimmy?" there's some good info here on his family tree here:

http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/documents/jec/genealog.phtml

Kindred Carter

Kindred Carter (c. 1750-1800) came to Georgia from the Bertie-Edgecombe-Hertford area of northeastern North Carolina where his family had lived for several generations. He was of the 5th generation in descent from Thomas Carter, Sr. who came in 1637 from England to Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Thomas Carter's only known child was Thomas, Jr., who married Magdalene Moore and left a will in 1710. In that will, Thomas, Jr. did not name all of his children, but Moore Carter (c. 1680-1741) who married Jane and moved to Bertie County, North Carolina, is believed to have been his son. Moore left a will naming a son Isaac who married Ruth and died after 1790. Isaac and Ruth were the parents of Kindred and James, among others. Kindred and James both came to Georgia.

Kindred Carter settled in Richmond County, on the frontier of the new state, along Little Germany creek. This land is now part of McDuffie County, approximately 35 miles west of Augusta, Georgia. At his death in 1800, his estate listed four heirs:

James, b. 1773 in North Carolina
Henry
Jesse
Martha
James Carter (1773-1858)

James Carter married Eleanor "Nellie" Duckworth in 1798 in Columbia County, Georgia. She was a daughter of Jeremiah and Christianna Ramsey Duckworth of Warren and Columbia Counties. The Carters moved permanently to Warren County c. 1815, where they lived along White's Creek on a 500 acre plantation, approximately four miles NW of Thomson, Georgia. Around 1835 James moved to Talbot County to join his brother Jesse and lived in the SW part of the county near Upatoi Creek. It was here that he owned land at the time of his death in Schley County at the plantation of his son Wiley. James had been a cotton planter and a Baptist.

James and Nellie Carter had 9 children:

Wiley, b. 1798
Epsey (1803-1867)
Littleberry (1807-1847)
Felix M. (d. 1844)
Marina "Rina" (b. 1809, m. 1832)
Keziah (1805-1855)
Martha (m. 1837)
George W. (m. 1837)
James D. (d. 1854)

MoonDogg
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Try checking the censuses, there pretty useful if you haven't looked through them yet.

I had a great aunt that spent 15 or 20 years compiling a family history, the hard way, before the internet and email. She never had any luck finding anything. So I took it upon myself to continue the search online. I've scanned a lot of census records, send out emails, talked to people, trolled numerous forums and I still haven't come up with anything. He's like a ghost.

cool- do you know how your grandmother (and you) are related to "cousin Jimmy?"

I'll have to talk with grannie to get all the details. Chances are it's on the black sheep side of the family :D

Blake
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
can trace my great-great grandfather to Tennesee (born 1847) but the trail stops there...