1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Grammys Still Suck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Once again, the old farts on the NARAS nominating committees make some bizarre picks for categories. Every year, they have to put some geezers on the list even if they don't deserve to be there just because they don't recognize the other names.

Until NARAS does away with nominating committees that consist of many, MANY older industry people, we'll have to continue to suffer through Bob Dylan, Don Henley, Steely Dan and others managing to weasel their way onto a grammy list.

With all due respect to the aforementioned musicians who I respect a GREAT deal, they belong on these lists about as much as Perry Como belongs in the best rap category. Oh, and lest you think it is just the older one's that bother me, any "boy band" or "girl pop singer (aka Brittany Spears, Chrsitina Aguilera, et al)" have no business anywhere near the mention of a Grammy.

Here's the list of everything in the Pop categories (Pop, Alternative, Metal, R&B, Rap and Country) copied from Yahoo. Enjoy!

1. Record of the Year: ``Say My Name,'' Destiny's Child; ``I Try,'' Macy Gray; ``Music,'' Madonna; ``Bye Bye Bye,'' 'N Sync (news - web sites); ``Beautiful Day,'' U2.

2. Album of the Year: ``Midnite Vultures,'' Beck; ``The Marshall Mathers LP,'' Eminem; 3. ``Kid A,'' Radiohead; ``You're the One,'' Paul Simon; ``Two Against Nature,'' Steely Dan.

3. Song of the Year: ``Beautiful Day,'' U2 (U2); ``Breathe,'' Stephanie Bentley and Holly Lamar (Faith Hill); ``I Hope You Dance,'' Mark D. Sanders and Tia Sellers (Lee Ann Womack); ``I Try,'' Macy Gray, Jinsoo Lim, Jeremy Ruzuma and David Wilder (Macy Gray); ``Say My Name,'' LaShawn Daniels, Fred Jerkins III, RodneyJerkins, Beyonce Knowles, LeToya Luckett, LaTavia Roberson and Kelendria Rowland (Destiny's Child).

4. New Artist: Shelby Lynne; Brad Paisley; Papa Roach; Jill Scott; Sisqo.

5. Female Pop Vocal Performance: ``What a Girl Wants,'' Christina Aguilera; ``I Try,'' Macy Gray; ``Music,'' Madonna; ``Save Me,'' Aimee Mann; ``Both Sides Now,'' Joni Mitchell; ``Oops! ... I Did It Again,'' Britney Spears.

6. Male Pop Vocal Performance: ``You Sang to Me,'' Marc Anthony; ``Taking You Home,'' Don Henley; ``She Bangs,'' Ricky Martin; ''4. 6, 8, 12,'' Brian McKnight; ``She Walks This Earth (Soberana Rosa),'' Sting.

7. Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ``Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely,'' Backstreet Boys (news - web sites); ``Pinch Me,'' Barenaked Ladies (news - web sites); ``Breathless,'' The Corrs; ``Bye Bye Bye,'' 'N Sync; ``Cousin Dupree,'' Steely Dan.

8. Pop Collaboration with Vocals: ``Thank God I Found You,'' Mariah Carey Featuring Joe and 98 Degrees; ``The Difficult Kind,'' Sheryl Crow and Sarah McLachlan; ``All the Way,'' Celine Dion (and Frank Sinatra); ``Turn Your Lights Down Low,'' Lauryn Hill (and Bob Marley); ``Is You Is, Or Is You Ain't (My Baby),'' B.B. King and Dr. John.

9. Pop Instrumental Performance: ``Overture (Selmasongs),'' Bjork; ``Rebel Heart, The Corrs; ``Zona Mona,'' Bela Fleck and The Flecktones; ``Caravan,'' The Brian Setzer Orchestra; ``Camaleao,'' Grover Washington, Jr.

10. Dance Recording: ``Who Let the Dogs Out,'' Baha Men; ``Blue (Da Ba Dee),'' Eiffel 65; ``Be With You,'' Enrique Iglesias; ``Let's Get Loud,'' Jennifer Lopez; ``Natural Blues,'' Moby.

11. Pop Instrumental Album: ``Audio,'' Blue Man Group; ``Faith - A Holiday Album,'' Kenny G; ``Symphony No. 1,'' Joe Jackson; ``Pieces in a Modern Style,'' William Orbit; ``Hymns - In the Garden,'' Kirk Whalum.

12. Pop Vocal Album: ``Inside Job,'' Don Henley; ``Music,'' Madonna; ``No Strings Attached,'' 'N Sync; ``Oops! ... I Did It Again,'' Britney Spears; ``Two Against Nature,'' Steely Dan.

13. Traditional Pop Vocal Album: ``As Time Goes By,'' Bryan Ferry; ``It's Like This,'' Rickie Lee Jones; ``Songs From the Last Century,'' George Michael; ``Both Sides Now,'' Joni Mitchell; ``Timeless - Live in Concert,'' Barbra Streisand.

14. Female Rock Vocal Performance: ``Paper Bag,'' Fiona Apple; ``There Goes the Neighborhood,'' Sheryl Crow; ``Enough of Me,'' Melissa Etheridge; ``So Pure,'' Alanis Morissette; ``Glitter in Their Eyes,'' Patti Smith.

15. Male Rock Vocal Performance: ``Thursday's Child,'' David Bowie; ``Things Have Changed,'' Bob Dylan; ``Workin' It,'' Don Henley; ``Again,'' Lenny Kravitz; ``Into the Void,'' Nine Inch Nails.

16. Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ``It's My Life,'' Bon Jovi; ``With Arms Wide Open,'' Creed; ``Learn to Fly,'' Foo Fighters; ``Californication,'' Red Hot Chili Peppers; ``Beautiful Day,'' U2.

17. Hard Rock Performance: ``American Bad Ass,'' Kid Rock; ``Take a Look Around (Theme from ``M:I-2''),'' Limp Bizkit; ``Grievance,'' Pearl Jam; 4. ``Guerrilla Radio,'' Rage Against the Machine (news - web sites); ``Down,'' Stone Temple Pilots.

18. Metal Performance: ``Elite,'' Deftones; ``The Wicker Man'' Iron Maiden; ``Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes,'' Marilyn Manson; ``Revolution Is My Name,'' Pantera; ``Wait and Bleed,'' Slipknot.

19. Rock Instrumental Performance: ``Off the Hook,'' Peter Frampton; ``The Call of the Ktulu,'' Metallica (news - web sites) with Michael Kamen conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra; ``First Tube,'' Phish; ``Until We Say Goodbye,'' Joe Satriani; ``Electric Lullaby,'' Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band.

20. Rock Song: ``Again,'' Lenny Kravitz (Lenny Kravitz); ``Bent,'' Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty); ``Californication,'' Flea, John Frusciante, Anthony Kiedis and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers); ``Kryptonite,'' Brad Arnold, Todd Harrell and Matt Roberts (3 Doors Down); ``With Arms Wide Open,'' Scott Stapp and Mark Tremonti (Creed).

21. Rock Album: ``Crush,'' Bon Jovi; ``There Is Nothing Left to Lose,'' Foo Fighters; ``Mad Season,'' Matchbox Twenty; ``Return of Saturn,'' No Doubt; ``The Battle of Los Angeles,'' Rage Against the Machine.

22. Alternative Music Album: ``When the Pawn,'' Fiona Apple; ``Midnite Vultures,'' Beck; ``Bloodflowers,'' The Cure; ``Liverpool Sound Collage,'' Paul McCartney; ``Kid A,'' Radiohead.

23. Female R&B Vocal Performance: ``Try Again,'' Aaliyah; ``Bag Lady,'' Erykah Badu; ``He Wasn't Man Enough,'' Toni Braxton; ``As We Lay,'' Kelly Price; '' Gettin' in the Way,'' Jill Scott.

24. Male R&B Vocal Performance: ``Untitled (How Does It Feel),'' D'Angelo; ``I Wanna Know,'' Joe; ``I Wish,'' R. Kelly; ``Stay or Let It Go,'' Brian McKnight; ``Thong Song,'' Sisqo.

25. R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ``Pass You By,'' Boyz II Men; ``Say My Name,'' Destiny's Child; ''911,'' Wyclef Jean featuring Mary J. Blige; ``Dance Tonight,'' Lucy Pearl; ``Coming Back Home,'' featuring Brian McKnight and Joe.

26. R&B Song: ``Bag Lady,'' Erykah Badu (Erykah Badu); ``He Wasn't Man Enough,'' LaShawn Daniels, Fred Jerkins III, Rodney Jerkins and Harvey Mason Jr. (Toni Braxton); ``Say My Name,'' LaShawn Daniels, Fred Jerkins III, Rodney Jerkins, Beyonce Knowles, LeToya Luckett, LaTavia Roberson and Kelendria Rowland (Destiny's Child); ``Thong Song,'' Mark Andrews, Tim Kelley and Bob Robinson (Sisqo); ``Untitled (How Does It Feel),'' D'Angelo and Raphael Saadiq (D'Angelo).

27. R&B Album: ``Nathan/Michael/Shawn/Wanya,'' Boyz II Men; ``The Heat,'' Toni Braxton; ``Voodoo,'' D'Angelo; ``My Name Is Joe,'' Joe; ``Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1,'' Jill Scott; ``Unleash the Dragon,'' Sisqo.

28. Traditional R&B Vocal Album: ``All the Man You Need,'' Will Downing; ``Cool,'' George Duke; ``That's For Sure,'' Jeffrey Osborne; ``Gotta Get the Groove Back,'' Johnnie Taylor; ``Ear-Resistible,'' The Temptations.

29. Rap Solo Performance: ``The Light,'' Common; ``Party Up,'' DMX; ``The Real Slim Shady,'' Eminem; ``Shake Ya Ass,'' Mystikal; ``Country Grammar,'' Nelly.

30. Rap Performance by a Duo or Group: ``Alive,'' Beastie Boys; ``Oooh,'' De La Soul featuring Redman; ``Forgot About Dre,'' Dr. Dre featuring Eminem; ``The Next Episode,'' Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg; ``Big Pimpin','' Jay-Z featuring UGK.

31. Rap Album: ''...And Then There Was X,'' DMX; ``Dr. Dre - 2001,'' Dr. Dre; ``The Marshall Mathers LP,'' Eminem; ``Vol. 3...Life and Times of S. Carter,'' Jay-Z; ``Country Grammar,'' Nelly.

32. Female Country Vocal Performance: ``Breathe,'' Faith Hill; ``That's the Way,'' Jo Dee Messina; ``Travelin' Prayer,'' Dolly Parton; ``I Hope You Dance,'' Lee Ann Womack; ``Real Live Woman,'' Trisha Yearwood.

33. Male Country Vocal Performance: ``Solitary Man,'' Johnny Cash; ``Feels Like Love,'' Vince Gill; ``One Voice,'' Billy Gilman; ``My Best Friend,'' Tim McGraw; ``A Thousand Miles From Nowhere,'' Dwight Yoakam.

34. Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ``Twentieth Century,'' Alabama; ``Cherokee Maiden,'' Asleep At The Wheel; ``You'll Always Be Loved By Me,'' Brooks & Dunn; ``Woody's Roundup,'' Riders In The Sky; ``Jimmy's Got A Girlfriend,'' The Wilkinsons.

35. Country Collaboration with Vocals: ``Strong Enough,'' Sheryl Crow and The Dixie Chicks; ``When I Look Into Your Heart,'' Vince Gill and Amy Grant; ``Let's Make Love,'' Faith Hill and Tim McGraw; ``Walk Softly,'' Ricky Skaggs and the Dixie Chicks; ``Murder on Music Row,'' George Strait and Alan Jackson.

36. Country Instrumental Performance: ``Leaving Cottondale,'' Alison Brown with Bela Fleck; ``Ode to a Butterfly,'' Nickel Creek; ``The Second Mouse,'' Tim O'Brien and Darrell Scott; ``Rollercoaster,'' Keith Urban; ``Bloodlines,'' Steve Wariner and Ryan Wariner.

37. Country Song: ``Breathe,'' Stephanie Bentley and Holly Lamar (Faith Hill); ``Feels Like Love,'' Vince Gill (Vince Gill); ``I Hope You Dance,'' Mark D. Sanders and Tia Sillers (Lee Ann Womack); ``One Voice,'' Don Cook and David Malloy (Billy Gilman); ``The Way You Love Me,'' Michael Delaney and Keith Follese (Faith Hill).

38. Country Album: ``Let's Make Sure We Kiss Goodbye,'' Vince Gill; ``Breathe,'' Faith Hill; ``Under The Influence,'' Alan Jackson; ``I Hope You Dance,'' Lee Ann Womack; ``Real Live Woman,'' Trisha Yearwood.

------------------
    The way to use life is to do nothing through acting,
    The way to use life is to do everything through being. - Lao-Tzu

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited January 03, 2001).]

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

didn't realise Paul MacCartney was alternative????????

------------------
    "What is it with this girl, has she got beer flavoured nipples??"
    - Heath Ledger in 10 things I hate about you

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

here's what i hope happens

1. Record of the Year: ``Beautiful Day,'' U2.

2. Album of the Year:``The Marshall Mathers LP,'' Eminem; (dont agree with the nominees in this category, but eminem i like the most)

3. Song of the Year: ``Beautiful Day,'' U2 (U2);

4. New Artist:Sisqo.

5. Female Pop Vocal Performance: ``Music,'' Madonna;

6. Male Pop Vocal Performance: ``Taking You Home,'' Don Henley; ''4. 6, 8, 12,

7. Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Bye bye bye(i guess)

8. Pop Collaboration with Vocals: ``Turn Your Lights Down Low,'' Lauryn Hill (and Bob Marley); `

9. Pop Instrumental Performance: ???

10. Dance Recording: '' Baha Men; ``Blue (Da Ba Dee),'' Eiffel 65;

11. Pop Instrumental Album: ???

12. Pop Vocal Album: ``Music,'' Madonna;

13. Traditional Pop Vocal Album: ???

14. Female Rock Vocal Performance: ``There Goes the Neighborhood,'' Sheryl Crow;

15. Male Rock Vocal Performance: ``Again,'' Lenny Kravitz;

16. Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ````Californication,'' Red Hot Chili Peppers; Toughest one yet, but thats my choice

17. Hard Rock Performance: 4. ``Guerrilla Radio,'' Rage Against the Machine (news - web sites); ``

18. Metal Performance: ???

19. Rock Instrumental Performance: ???

20. Rock Song: ``Californication,'' Flea, John Frusciante, Anthony Kiedis and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers); `( again tough, but got to go with the peppers)

21. Rock Album: ``Mad Season,'' Matchbox Twenty;

22. Alternative Music Album: ???

23. Female R&B Vocal Performance: ``Try Again,'' Aaliyah;

24. Male R&B Vocal Performance: ``Untitled (How Does It Feel),'' D'Angelo

25. R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ``Pass You By,'' Boyz II Men; ``Say My Name,'' Destiny's Child; (tie)

26. R&B Song: ``Say My Name,'' LaShawn Daniels, Fred Jerkins III, Rodney Jerkins, Beyonce Knowles, LeToya Luckett, LaTavia Roberson and Kelendria Rowland (Destiny's Child); `

27. R&B Album: ``Nathan/Michael/Shawn/Wanya,'' Boyz II Men; ```Unleash the Dragon,'' Sisqo.
    (tie)

28. Traditional R&B Vocal Album: ???

29. Rap Solo Performance: ``Country Grammar,'' Nelly.

30. Rap Performance by a Duo or Group: ``Forgot About Dre,'' Dr. Dre featuring Eminem; ``The Next Episode,'' Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg; (both are great)

31. Rap Album: ``Country Grammar,'' Nelly.

32. Female Country Vocal Performance: ``Breathe,'' Faith Hill;

33. Male Country Vocal Performance: ???

34. Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: ???

35. Country Collaboration with Vocals: ``???

36. Country Instrumental Performance: ???

37. Country Song: ``Breathe,'' Stephanie Bentley and Holly Lamar (Faith Hill);

38. Country Album: ???

Well, i got lost on the country. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did I see Bon Jovi in there? Didn't think they existed anymore. After "Living on a Prayer" can you get any better? [​IMG]

Pretty said when i have only heard of about 5 of those titles, much less heard the actual music.

Hee hee, i'll stick with my old stuff and music on the periphery anyday.

------------------
    EZLN

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I haven't heard the NIN Into the Void. Is that a cover of the Black Sabbath original?

------------------
    Hey, I've got a new signature!

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Man, talk about having a hard time predicting the winners...the Album of the Year and Record of the year are pretty difficult...

Album of the year is a total tossup in my opinion.

I figure Madonna will get the one for Record of the year.

Jeff, all in all you are right about how bad the Grammy nominations suck.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

7. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I can't believe Nelly didn't get nominated for new artist of the year!

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

[This message has been edited by Rockets R' Us (edited January 04, 2001).]

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Oh Jeffrey!

Anyone who ever puts any credence into awards such as the Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, Golden Globes, American Music Awards, MTV Music Awards, etc. etc., ad nauseum, is...

...a lackey who is incapable of thinking for themselves!

And don't diss Bob Dylan. Talk to me when you learn how to write a song as well as he can, OK?

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Tex: Notice, I said I respected all the people I dissed. The fact is that Bob Dylan was a great songwriter. Unfortunately, he felt the need to actually sing his songs. [​IMG] And what ever made you think that you have to write better than someone to have an opinion on them? I never cared for Dylan though I respected him greatly. IMO, he was/is a horrible guitar player and an even worse singer. His voice is like listening to sandpaper on a blackboard, but that's just me.

The issue for me is that many of the people on the nominating committees are individuals who have been with NARAS for YEARS and YEARS. Of course, they snubbed Dylan, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell and others during their prime. Now, they are the only names they recognize so they automatically get the nod.

I have NO problems with new artists at all. Music has to move forward. The only artist on the entire list I have no problem with who is older is the Paul Simon whose record is truly terrific. Dylan is still making records but it isn't like he's suddenly making Blood on the Tracks or something. Steely Dan was at their peak in the 70's with Aja and Gaucho but no longer.

I think Joni Mitchell's album is great but it is admittedly a pop standards album done in tribute, not really an album for pop consumption.

The fact is I like a lot of new artists but very few good one's ever make the list. Because the Grammy's are preoccupied with popularity and safe choices, they never make good decisions.

And, of course I know that awards shows are horrible at picking people although the Academy Awards probably does the best job along with SAG. Music is a business that requires endless categorization and every awards ceremony must distill their awards into 3 hours for TV. That means no jazz or classical artists get play in prime time and most of the "pop" categories get all the play and advertisers demand high ratings so you get crap like boy bands, etc on the list.

I love many older artists but even I am not crazy enough to think that the majority of them are still in their prime. That doesn't mean they don't still make good music. Paul Simon is an example as is Madonna or Prince or any number of great jazz and blues artists. However, they were once young artists everyone thought were crap too. The 60's and 70's brought us as much crap (Frankie Avalon, disco, Pat Boone) as any other decade. No decade is immune to bad music.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited January 04, 2001).]

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This could be a stupid question, but what's the difference between album of the year and record of the year? I mean, records (vinal) are hardly ever made any more, right? Seems like duplication to me.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Album of the year is for the whole CD
    Record of the year is for a single and goes to the artist. Song of the year is for a single and goes to the songwriter.

------------------

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dylan vs. Neal Young war? I think you're both going to lose that one. [​IMG]

------------------

13. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

So Bob Dylan has to "weasel" his way onto the Grammey list for Time Out Of Mind. Right. At this point in his career I'm sure Dylan is really sitting in his home thinking "Thank God I finally have a Grammey. I don't think I would have respect without it."

Come one, don't blame the artists for being selected. You don't like his voice, fine. I love his voice, I think he is the single greatest non-jazz individual of this past century (Coltrane would have to get the ultimate nod). Many people love his voice.

Oh, and by the way, did you ever listen to TOOM? Saying "it's not like he wrote Blood on the Tracks again" is doing that album a great disservice. Since you don't sound like a real Dylan fan, I'm just wondering if you are using reviews to make that statement or if you are actually familiar with the album. It was an expertly written and produced album, one I listen to more than BOTT (and I have more than 40 dylan CD's).

Just amazed that you think the Grammey was something Dylan had to weasel his way into getting...

dylan

------------------

14. RocketMan Tex

dylan is correct about Time Out of Mind. It is an absolutely brilliantly written & produced CD. Daniel Lanois producing Bob Dylan is a hell of a combination.

And, I understand why some people do not like Bob Dylan's singing voice. It isn't technically perfect (just like Mark Knopfler and many other singers), but it certainly is unique. I'd venture to say that his singing more than likely isn't the reason people admire him in the first place. If you trash Bob Dylan because of his singing voice, you are missing the point completely.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm not trying to turn this into some "I Hate Bob Dylan" thread. I was trying to make a point.

I do NOT blame the artist for the choices made and I have a great deal of respect for them. I've been playing music for 17 years and have ALWAYS been open to all types of music.

Critics are critics. They like what they like. My contention is that some records get consideration because of who recorded them not necessarily because they should make a list of best 5 or 6 of the year. Some deserve it like Santana's Supernatural (IMO), but others just don't.

I don't like Radiohead for example. I just don't care for them at all, but they ARE extremely well-liked by critics and, after listening to them, I understand why. I still don't care for the music but I appreciate why they are liked and understand their impact.

I don't get Eminem either and don't care for rap, but it is an important part of American music now that it has survived for nearly 25 years. It is actually half the age of rock and roll amazingly. Like I said, I don't care for Eminem but I'll leave that up to those who like and listen to rap on a regular basis. They understand it better than I do.

I think the key here is relavence. Eminem, Radiohead and others are more relavent to the musical landscape of the world today whether we like it or not. Dylan, for as brilliant an artist as he is, hasn't been relavant to the musical world in a very long time. Is that his fault? Hell no, but it is worth pointing out.

If Dylan released an album that had the impact on music this year like Santana did with Supernatural, he'd be deserving of all the awards. It doesn't make him a bad musician or his records bad recordings. It does however not give him relavence in the musical landscape of today.

I have heard Time Out of Mind and, though I think the songs are good, I didn't care for it as an album. Part of it is I just don't like Daniel Lanois very much based on the way he produces. He is brillant but he doesn't always work for me. Unforgettable Fire is an example of a record I loved that he nailed. He's worked with guys like Chris Whitley and that was cool. It just takes the right combination for me to like what he does and, for me, that Dylan record wasn't it.

All that having been said, I don't blame the artist, I blame the way the awards system has been set up, not the bands or artists. My biggest qualm is that there are too many allowances given to older critics and those from other fields for voting. In many instances, retired record exec's, celebrities and people from the wrong end (classical composers, etc) of the business get to vote on pop music. NARAS, to their credit, has attempted to fix some of this, but, like Tex said, it is all about politics. Even politicians like the President get votes on this stuff.

Like the rest of the business of music, the Grammys and other awards ceremonies give credit to artists that don't always deserve it and that is a shame.

------------------

16. rascal

rascal Guest

Wow! How do you find the time to listen to anyone else?

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I don't really like Bob Dylan, not a big fan of folk music or whatever he is considered, but his son Jacob Dylan is really good. The Wallflowers new album wasn't too successfull, but they're still a good band. A couple of rock bands that released albums didn;t really reach the mainstream like they had with their last album(i blame the "teenyboppers"):

Wallflowers, Barenaked Ladies, Mathcbox 20, Third Eye Blind, Green Day.

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

"Things Have Changed" is a brilliant song, and it is one of Dylan's best. A real fast paced hit. Have you ever heard the Dylan CD "Nashville Skyline"? He sings quite well in that album. He is not the best voice, but a musical genius he certainly is. He always deserves a nod.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

19. RocketMan Tex

Jeff...sorry that I missed the first part of your post. Again, my slant on all awards shows are as follows:

They are pure politics.
    They are popularity contests.
    They are not to be trusted nor believed.
    They mean nothing and are nothing.

Anyone who needs the Grammys to tell them what music is good and what music isn't good needs to start taking Ginko-paloba (sp?).

That is all. Carry on.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"Record" is their version of "song" of the year.

Tex: No biggie. I think Ginko is spelled P-R-O-Z-A-C. [​IMG]

------------------