1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here is the guy the Rockets may sign

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Dec 26, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The Chronicle reported today that the Rockets will sign a new player after the league permitts them to sign a 16th player to the roster. They most likely would look for help inside with an emphasis on catch-and-shoot skills. The guy who fits that description is Josh Davis.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_davis/

From http://www.388hoop.com/

Josh Davis will be heading to Houston for a 48 hour tryout this Friday, December 23, 2005. If Davis is signed by Houston, this would be the second time this year he was called up.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I don't know much about this guy but I know he was the CBA MVP last year.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We're saved!!

4. aluke

aluke Member

CBA MVP?

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Sounds very Padge-like. Could be good if he can shoot like Scotty. Last year Padge and Tracy would Pick and Pop for an open 3 any time they wanted.

7. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Actually he's very much like Padgett, only skinnier...he's a 3-point threat who rebounds nicely and runs the floor decently...I saw him play a few times for the Sixers last year and he wasnt too bad...

8. klkl96

klkl96 Member

that reminds me of another CBA MVP-Wangzhizhi. though the two CBA are different leagues.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/wang_zhizhi/index.html

I personally think Wangzhizhi is better than JD.

Wang was waived this season in Miami bec'zof their overstocked center backups.

wang is 7-1 and 284 lbs compared to JD's 6-8 and 235lbs.

Wang dominated the courts in china's basketball league before yao emerged.
    Currently he's still the 2nd best chinese player.

He had a good season in Dallas.
    01-02 DAL 55 0 10.9 .440 .414 5.6
    and career NBA peformance is also better than the JD.

The problem of wang is that JVG may not like him because he likes to shoot 3pters as a center and is not defense-oriented. but right now we really need players' offensive contri. badly. we only need 90+ to beat others. why not give wang a tryout or 10 day temp contract to see if this former mav. can score a few points?

9. klkl96

klkl96 Member

forgot to mention that we need a CENTER now, even mutombo comes back, he can't play too much time and still needs a bench.

10. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

Wang is a lot similar with Rasheed Walace

11. SunsRocketsfan

ummm we have the same last name liu1107 if LIU is ur last name.. but WTF are you smoking?????? WANG is like Wallace? I sure hope you are being sarcastic cause they are like NIGHT AND DAY... wang is soft and a crappy player.. Wallce is one of the most agressive intense players when he's on.. just like the spurs game today... Wallce can play awesome D.. Wang is like me trying to play D in the NBA... Wallce can rebound.. while Wang can get out rebounded by a point guard in the NBA>.

Anyways. WANG sucks and i would not like to see him on the Rockets..

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I saw Davis in person with the Sixers last year a few times. He's got more skills than Padgett -- better handle with the ball, some passing ability. Basically, he plays with more flair.

The thing was he often looked like a deer in the headlights out there; like he didn't have the confidence that he belonged. Then he'd put it together for a brief stretch, and you'd say, "That scrub's got a little game!"

Not sure how much he can help us until he starts to believe he's not a 12th man. Great outside shot, though.

13. SunsRocketsfan

he averaged like 5 pts and 1 or 2 rebounds in GARBAGE TIME.. when he was on the Mavs. he only played when the mavs blew the other team out.. and he came in and shot like 2 3's.. and that was it.. he has NO POTENTIAL LEFT IN HIM.. alteast this JD guy has some potential.. Wang has no room for improvement..

14. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

I doubt we are looking for potential, we just want to bring a guy in, get the job done, and then never call him again. Why do we need a guy who is 6-8, we have a lot of those? Atleast get someone 6-10.

15. ty185

ty185 Member

while not necessarily thinking wang is a good fit for rox right now, I think the above assessment is a bit harsh...

sure wang didn't play a lot of minutes because of his sucky defence, but while he played, he has repeatedly drained end-of-quarter 3s in close game, and I remember mavs fans calling him having a nerve "cold as iron" back then. He was shooting around 41% or 42% 3s for quite a while, and not in garbage times. pity he never adjusted to play any NBA defence...

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Hah. This reminds me of the debate several years ago when posters were seriously suggesting that Mengke Bateer would solve our PF problems.

17. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

Man, they are two totally different CBA, one in China and one here in USA.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

LOL....

Now this was too funny... :D :D :D :D

19. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

sure it's not this guy?

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I heard a rumor...from a semi-reliable source...heavy emphasis on the
    'semi'...that Big Dog will be barking in the Toy Shop IF he demonstrates that he is game, or near-game, ready.