1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Hunsicker must prove that he's trustworthy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Vengeance, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/3432294

I had no idea about any of this. Interesting article.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i knew bits and pieces of it. particularly the parts about the Hendricks brothers not wanting to ever deal with Hunsicker again.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

interesting indeed

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Wow. Thats an amazing article. Kind of makes me feel bad for ripping on Uncle Drayton in the past.....

:(

6. MadMax

yeah, they were talking about that this morning on the radio. saying they weren't sure what his job would actually be there...other than to serve as mentor to the guy who is actually charged with covering baseball operations.

7. Major

Major Member

8. Major

Major Member

If he gots lots of control there, it could be a great fit. They have loads of young positional talent there, but need pitching. They were one of the better teams in baseball the 2nd half of the season. They are supposedly upping their payroll, so his salary-conscious background will be extremely helpful in picking and choosing what to get. If they want to win now, he could move some of that young talent and get the right pieces they need.

Their problem is no matter how good they are, they are stuck in a division with the Yankees and Red Sox.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, I'm guessing if he goes to the Devil Rays, no chance at Huff, huh? :)

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I agree that Hun is better overall currently but I feel that Pupura's skills are directed more towards the farm system. Specifically building from within, which is how you stay competitve with the Big-market teams while spending less money. Talent from a deep farm system can keep your roster full of talent and still give you barginning chips to get that key vet when needed.

For all of Hun's talents wheeling and dealing, it left the cubberd a little bare than it once was.

11. kevwun

kevwun Member

Let's not even pretend that the Hendricks' brothers were saints in the first round of the Clemens to Houston negotiations. Also, what was the impetus for this article? It reads like the Boston Globe article that Lucchino used to take a shot at Epstein.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Not to be a party pooper...but, I really dont give much credence to this article. Not one Astros exec (or Hun for that matter) is quoted. I'm not saying that some of it isnt true...but whee was this article back when everyone in Houston was so upset that Hun was retiring? Why not run it then to ease the pain?

Look...so far, Purp has only let the kids play and has gotten a huge return on his gamble....and I am thrilled at the success we had. However, I think the jury is still out on Purp as far as winter dealings/signings go. Maybe he does nothing and we get back to the show again....whatever works!

13. msn

msn Member

I agree completely.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mr. Ortiz must really not want Hunsicker to get one of these open GM jobs. That's what I take out of this. Why else would it just come out now?

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mr. Ortiz acts like Drayton's word is gold. I don't see why either of the two get credit for bringing Pettitte and Roger here. Pettitte maybe, but who ever got those deals done was working with the homefield advantage. Sure and bad owner and gm could have screwed it up but it probably only took a competent

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

That was my first thought when I saw he was likely to get the job.

17. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Wow - what a tool. Self-promoter or not, this is Hunsiker's team. Even if everything he said was true [Gasp! the Henriks brothers are mad! Let's fire Hun now!], I think big chunks of this story are being left out to further ridicule Hun while exonerating Drayton.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I always liked him and wondered why he hasn't gone somewhere else...Good article...

19. msn

msn Member

"The Chronicle Sports Section" and "utter drivel" are slowly becoming synonymous...

20. MadMax

i certainly understand why you'd think that.

but i don't understand why that would be coming from Ortiz??